Home Match Day Thread +++ 25/10/2019 L1 OUFC v Rochdale MDT+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I am sure he is enjoying his pay rise, can't be easy for Nelson. He has effectively been 1st choice centre back for the past 8 season seasons (since he was 17/18 years old!). 3rd or 4th choice must be some adjustment.
He is 26 , too old to be sitting on the bench wasting his talent

I think this, in an odd way, is where Nelson's plan of running down his contract has backfired.
If Cardiff were looking for a back up centre half (3rd or 4th choice) then they are not going to pay big money for anyone, to sit on the bench. So they had to find a top quality player on a free, Nelson ticked that box.
So Nelson found himself signing for a club that didn't necessarily need him because he was free, if he was still in contract and a fee of £5m was required then the team signing him would have had the intention of playing him regularly.

Yeah but if someone had paid £5m for him then he wouldn’t be getting anywhere near the wages he’s on now

I think this, in an odd way, is where Nelson's plan of running down his contract has backfired.
If Cardiff were looking for a back up centre half (3rd or 4th choice) then they are not going to pay big money for anyone, to sit on the bench. So they had to find a top quality player on a free, Nelson ticked that box.
So Nelson found himself signing for a club that didn't necessarily need him because he was free, if he was still in contract and a fee of £5m was required then the team signing him would have had the intention of playing him regularly.

Money is all well and good but he could still have been earning a “reasonable sum” (in the real world at-least) for playing the game he loves week in week out and being a part of something special.

I know it is a short career but he will still have to move on to a new career regardless of what he is earning at Cardiff. So why sit on a bench and not contribute to anything? Soul destroying.

Isnt ledson on the bench most weeks. Johnson at boro as well. Still for 5-10k a week im pretty sure they arent that bothered.

• React
Reactions: Ian
What is he likely to be earning?

I have no idea. But from what I’ve heard players who move as a free agent get better wage deals than players who move for a substantial transfer fee, as the club has saved that money. Often that can be in the form of a larger than usual signing-on fee, and/or higher wages. I think it’s unarguable that Nelson is or has been paid more by Cardiff from leaving us as a free agent, than if they’d had to pay £5m for him.

It depends how the move was sold to him. Did Cardiff tell him he might be 3rd/4th choice or was there a a very credible chance for him to be one of the centre-back pair? I don't think it is unreasonable to think he had a shot at being in the team.

What is he likely to be earning?

I've seen different numbers reported for the average weekly wage in the Championship - but all of them were north of 10k.

Meanwhile, the average League One wage is more like 2-2.5k a week.

So even given that Nelson was likely a high earner with us, he's likely to be getting 3x the pay with Cardiff.

The good thing in the league is that all the teams above us have flaws and/or big pressure to do well. I think Wycombe’s bubble has to burst, Posh are bottlers, Coventry are defensively suspect and Fleetwood have a w****r in charge. I think Ipswich will also feel the weight of expectancy from their fans. Good prospects for promotion as long as we keep key players injury free.

:LOL:

Whilst I broadly agree with you - I don't think that having a w****r in charge is necessarily a flaw! It's been a positive thing for a lot of clubs!

I didn't see the Coventry game, but I thought Fleetwood were (aside from us) the best side I've seen this season.
It's the only game we've played when we were comfortably second best (I know Brizzle & Burton beat us by more, but we were always in those games - Fleetwood battered us at times).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom