Home Match Day Thread +++ 25/08/18 OUFC v Burton Albion match day thread +++

Ask him to get these words in the right order: party, on, we, pissed, your!

Sour grapes really don't get sweeter the longer you keep them.

Wasn’t it more like “ up, we, party, f@cked, your”? Not that it really matters of course ?

I compare Oxford United Football Club and supporters to drought ridden arable land. One drop of Spring rain and everything perks up. Green shoots and all that.......Alcohol talking!!

I compare Oxford United Football Club and supporters to drought ridden arable land. One drop of Spring rain and everything perks up. Green shoots and all that.......Alcohol talking!!
I didn’t realise you drank.

Good to get a win yesterday, some decent stuff and some signs of progress.

Positives:
- Gavin Whyte - didnt think he would be so involved and so good so early. Carries the ball well, a constant threat along with contributing defensively. Continue in this vein and we have a real asset
- Set peices - we looked to have some plan from corners and free kicks. Have ditched waving the ball around, Browne delivers a fantastic ball, just need players taking the gamble
- James Henry - runs things going forward. Plays the 10 role perfectly, often being the first to press from the front
- midfield - Hanson and Brannagan a lot more disciplined. Brannagan especially wasn't doing his Ledson impression breaking out of midfield leaving large gaps
- Defence - plenty of times we went basic and just got rid - perfectly happy to see that at the minute
Mackie - still requiring fitness, however was canny when he came on and helped us manage the game along with Holmes. An experienced head that managed to take some pressure off.

Negatives:
Jeering Mitchell - really? There was clearly a plan with 4 players stood on the touch line, obviously looking to bypass the mountain CBs.
Playing out from the back - Burton were canny and set traps. Nelson and Mousinho pushed in to LB/RB roles when Mitchell had the ball, this left Hanson and Brannagan in space in the centre. We attempted to play the ball out but got caught (especially in the first half)
LB - not sure about Ruffels. I wonder if Garbutt in a back 4 with Mousinho talking him through might help.
Trevor kettle - total horror show. KR marching on at half time seemed to stir everyone, focussed the players and appeared to be a catalyst. Just glad his decisions didnt have a bearing on the result

All in all an improvement. We have found a formation/style that works...for the players we currently have available. I hope we become a little smarter when we are out of possession. B

Good to get a win yesterday, some decent stuff and some signs of progress.

Positives:
- Gavin Whyte - didnt think he would be so involved and so good so early. Carries the ball well, a constant threat along with contributing defensively. Continue in this vein and we have a real asset
- Set peices - we looked to have some plan from corners and free kicks. Have ditched waving the ball around, Browne delivers a fantastic ball, just need players taking the gamble
- James Henry - runs things going forward. Plays the 10 role perfectly, often being the first to press from the front
- midfield - Hanson and Brannagan a lot more disciplined. Brannagan especially wasn't doing his Ledson impression breaking out of midfield leaving large gaps
- Defence - plenty of times we went basic and just got rid - perfectly happy to see that at the minute
Mackie - still requiring fitness, however was canny when he came on and helped us manage the game along with Holmes. An experienced head that managed to take some pressure off.

Negatives:
Jeering Mitchell - really? There was clearly a plan with 4 players stood on the touch line, obviously looking to bypass the mountain CBs.
Playing out from the back - Burton were canny and set traps. Nelson and Mousinho pushed in to LB/RB roles when Mitchell had the ball, this left Hanson and Brannagan in space in the centre. We attempted to play the ball out but got caught (especially in the first half)
LB - not sure about Ruffels. I wonder if Garbutt in a back 4 with Mousinho talking him through might help.
Trevor kettle - total horror show. KR marching on at half time seemed to stir everyone, focussed the players and appeared to be a catalyst. Just glad his decisions didnt have a bearing on the result

All in all an improvement. We have found a formation/style that works...for the players we currently have available. I hope we become a little smarter when we are out of possession. B

Think we’ll get a look at Garbutt on Tuesday. If he does well, he’ll put himself in contention for a return in the near future.

Oxford - top of the charts for fouls committed after matchday five.
To be honest there were some silly challenges yesterday that could have got us in trouble (particularly when the ref is a muppet!!)

Smith could have gone for his reaction after being lumped - and again for kicking the ball away (even if it would have been petty). Nelson also looked to dive in recklously in front of the dug outs and Norman looks like he studied Paul Scholes for his tackling!!

When we have players injured and desperate for some consistency, we don't need to pick up unnecessary suspensions.

Back
Top Bottom