Home Match Day Thread +++ 25/08/18 OUFC v Burton Albion match day thread +++

A couple of posts on the Burton forum state they think we're a poor side.
I think we are an 'improving' side. Today was better then Tuesday, which in turn was better than the previous match. Burton on the other hand were terrible, especially given that (as I understand it) much of that team was together in the Championship side of last year, showing little skill, cohesion or bottle. Their diving throughout the first half fooled that idiot Trevor Kettle (apart from the penalty dive that he spotted and carded the offender for) - only when we stooped down to their level in the second did we get any free kicks! If that is Burton at their best, they will be in L2 next year.

I think we are an 'improving' side. Today was better then Tuesday, which in turn was better than the previous match. Burton on the other hand were terrible, especially given that (as I understand it) much of that team was together in the Championship side of last year, showing little skill, cohesion or bottle. Their diving throughout the first half fooled that idiot Trevor Kettle (apart from the penalty dive that he spotted and carded the offender for) - only when we stooped down to their level in the second did we get any free kicks! If that is Burton at their best, they will be in L2 next year.

Pretty much that. Burton seemed to give up after our third went in. They were rather poor.

I thought it was two poor sides in the first half, you could tell that both were down the bottom, but second half we were clearly better and could of won by more. A few impressive performances from Whyte and Henry pulled us above them. They looked a slow side and there defenders looked a bit chubby, I would put money on them going down if that’s what they to offer.

It wasn’t perfect from us, we still look shaky as at the back but it was an important step in the right direction and a much needed win. It was always going to be scrappy at times, we just need to get some confidence from this.

My thoughts exactly. Definitely a foul, but we had two defenders actually standing on the goal-line...no way was it offside.

Yeah, pretty much agree with that, particularly the bottle. One thing that is notable, the foul count was something like 16 to 3 in the first half and by the end virtually level. Says to me a couple of things, first we finally used our brains to level the playing field to win free kicks (albeit that not very palatable) and second as a result the pressure was relieved allowing us to play football.

That was massive for us to kick start the season. So pleased with the ‘Norman Whyte side’ which shows our recruitment wasn’t all bad! Both permanent signings. With Holmes back and Henry on form we’ll look more threatening going forward.

To Sunderland, I think to try and build on this we should try three at the back which will mean going 5-4-1 but I think it’s a worth a go so we can try and be that bit more compact for that game.

Well done to players, staff and our magnificent fans.

Kettle was quite simply one of the worst referees I have ever seen. That moment when Robinson came flying out of the technical area to drag half our team into the dressing room may well have turned our season around. From then on in it was a great performance.

Norman, Brown and Whyte are talented lads - with pace to spare.

Good to see Nelson back on form. And Mackie looked a different proposition as a central striker.

Enjoyable entertaining afternoon - albeit against demotivated slow opponents who you should put in the box marked relegation fodder.

A few would have ridiculed KR saying after each defeat the likes of "when we click no one will want to play us" - but yesterday showed glimpses of why this could be the case.

I know that Burton were poor, but with Browne (Holmes) and Whyte running at pace, Henry pulling the strings and Smith (and more so Mackie) battling hard, we looked like we could turn any team over.

But to make this work we need the midfield and defence to be solid. Brannaghan seemed to be a big improvement, and Hanson did the little things well. Nelson and Mous were steady, and it was clear that Mous does a lot of the organising of the back 4. He was constantly talking to Norman and Ruffels to keep the shape - something we couldn't do on Tuesday.

And because our forwards/wingers were keeping their wide players pushed back, Norman and Ruffels were able to get forward far more, Norman in particular looked great as a result.

But the difficulty with this is how reliant we are on our midfield controlling the game to allow everything else to come good. If, and when we face teams with 3 in midfield we are going to need a plan b to counter this. If starting with Mackie upfront, we could take out the midfield with long balls for him to hold for the 3 to come on to. I'm not yet sure that Smith has the strength to do this. Alternatively, we can use the width to play through our full backs and pull the midfield around, creating space for Brannaghan to play in when he gets it. Or, we keep our full backs narrow and allow Mous to play more from the back to give a 3rd in the middle when needed.

So, whilst it is great to get a win and to play decent football we know we will face better teams than Burton this season and need to be flexible enough to counter their game and allow us to play ours.

T
Kettle was quite simply one of the worst referees I have ever seen. That moment when Robinson came flying out of the technical area to drag half our team into the dressing room may well have turned our season around. From then on in it was a great performance.
Agree. That performance from kettle may have just turned us around.
He managed in 45 minutes to galvanise the fans, the manager and the players to greater effort.
Thank you kettle.....But don’t rush back!
That look you gave us all in the east stand was totally riot provoking and should be reported as incitement.?

I guess Karl was referring to Raglan as one of the players who will be leaving?

There's a case for the first 45 to say we're a poor side but not the second although of course a Burton fan would know which was the normal Oxford.
Even Clough said we had way too much for them in second half. Suspect he is a City fan :)

bless his lil cotton socks from the bumton forum

"Since the penultimate game of the Conference winning season, I've always hated Oxford Utd. Diving, wasting time, kicking the ball away, constant fouling all through the first half. Still hate them"

Read more: http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com/thread/3550/oxford-united-away#ixzz5PDzHWEOG
...but he likes Wimbledon - doesnt the card count define fair play :) Maybe BAFC ned to toughen up a bit http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/fairplay

bless his lil cotton socks from the bumton forum

"Since the penultimate game of the Conference winning season, I've always hated Oxford Utd. Diving, wasting time, kicking the ball away, constant fouling all through the first half. Still hate them"

Read more: http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com/thread/3550/oxford-united-away#ixzz5PDzHWEOG

Ask him to get these words in the right order: party, on, we, pissed, your!

Sour grapes really don't get sweeter the longer you keep them.

Back
Top Bottom