+++ 25/01/20 Newcastle United v OUFC FAC +++

Replays are......BT on the Tuesday and BBC on the Wednesday

Last edited:
Am in Mexico and listened to the match.
Outstanding result IMHO.
Thought we could have won it with a bit of luck, but, it was brilliant listening to a great performance.

Oxford United manager Karl Robinson speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "Its incredible. We’ve played three Premier League teams this season and only one of them has beaten us – Manchester City. So I have got to give credit to my players.

"For the fans who turned out, it just shows you this cup has got a wonderful presence. My players were exceptional. Probably say we got the best chance of the game. All in all a very good performance by my players and I am very pleased with them.

"I thought we tried to play, which was brave of the players. We started nervously and I wasn’t happy. I told them to relax and once they did that they got to grips with the game a bit more."

More from Oxford boss Karl Robinson to BBC: "I don’t think our goalkeeper was overly worked. Our two centre-backs were amazing. We had a very young back four, in fact the whole team is very young. It is testament to the board and to the patience of the fans that they have allowed these young players to grow together and to make mistakes.

"I feel they will one day go on to bigger and better things, but I hope not right away and we can build with these players for a while yet.

"But we’ve not achieved anything. It’s so easy to stand here and take the plaudits, but we feel we have not done anything yet. If we stop the season now, we will have amazing memories, but we want a great summer and to do that we have to be promoted.

"They will be aware of the quality we have, but we know how good they are. We have seen glimpes of the top level football they can play so won’t be taking anything for granted in the replay."

Not a bad days entertainment. We should have nicked it with a couple of chances, so frustrating to see players not taking chances when they have them. Equally, NUFC were not a premiership side today, some promise but they will have a hard time on that standard.

Respect to the stewards who were worked hard by those who don't believe in asking before taking a seat, silly to think that it's ok to mouth off and expect gratitude in return. We asked, we explained why and we were moved and thanked our hosts. (Mrs Lounger had a migraine this morning and wasn't really well enough to attend - well done her for going.
Scary exit from stadium, 50,000 people all heading off home at the same time - unreal.

Home to MU in the next round, PLEASE and into the last 8
Think we might draw Pompey at home

Great result. Just wish it was a win. Would even have accepted a loss. Worried that the replay will affect the league results. This year hasn't been too good as it is. We need to get back on track.
If they are not ready for Saturday then I hope the match can be used as a way of getting match fit for Brannagan, Henry and Taylor. Not too worried about the result otherwise.

Thought Yedlin and Lascelles were quality for them today. ASM also looked unbelievably dangerous at times, but we ultimately contained him well enough.

I think Long and Ruffels had tricky starts but grew into the game impressively. Baptiste went the other way - head seemed to drop a bit as the game went on. Hopefully the game will have given Browne and Holland some real confidence - if they can skin Prem level defenders that easily they should be able to rinse any L1 fullback.

Have to laugh at the NUFC fans - think they has some sort of entitlement about beating a "L1 team" - clearly have absolutely no idea of the Who's who in our league - "toothless" and so why they think they will hammer us at the Kastad is beyond belief - we certainly weren't at full strength today and I fully expect us to win at home, so we have a better chance of winning the FA cup this year than they do! Even suggestions we will be in trouble if "the saudis take over" there - again expecting a 2 week turn around??? - and probably don't realise that Newcastle Brown /alcohol won't be sold at SJP if they do..... pathetic bunch really who wear their shirts 365 days a year and live in a Tyneside bubble . Time to wind them up on SM

On the coach home, proud of the lads..if only Browney and Fosu had taken their chances! Can't complain as we are still in the hat. Onto next week! COYY

Have to laugh at the NUFC fans - think they has some sort of entitlement about beating a "L1 team" - clearly have absolutely no idea of the Who's who in our league - "toothless" and so why they think they will hammer us at the Kastad is beyond belief - we certainly weren't at full strength today and I fully expect us to win at home, so we have a better chance of winning the FA cup this year than they do! Even suggestions we will be in trouble if "the saudis take over" there - again expecting a 2 week turn around??? - and probably don't realise that Newcastle Brown /alcohol won't be sold at SJP if they do..... pathetic bunch really who wear their shirts 365 days a year and live in a Tyneside bubble . Time to wind them up on SM
To be honest some of our fans would have been the same had we drawn at home to Hartlepool. As a premiership team playing their strongest team at home, they have every right to be pissed.

Back
Top Bottom