Away Match Day Thread +++ 24/2/18 Northampton Town vs OUFC matchday thread +++

Clearly, we are not 'doomed'. But, in my view, the usual flatterers and ass lickers are unduly complacent. Little Dave and Tim airily brush off our current position - as they have since we started playing badly back in the autumn - and say 'no point in worrying, we are far too good to go down'
And they always rest hopes on a sudden dramatic improvement from someone they know nothing about. A new player. A new manager. This leaving aside that they thought that the current players and Pep were the second coming after we drew at home to an average Bradford side.
The form is indisputable. We have garnered 30 points from 28 games. That is a very large sample, and indicates a return of about 1.1 points a game - or 52 points in a season if displayed over the full 46 games.
So, since September we have displayed the form of a team who may scrape 20th place.
And yet we are told that this is a 'talismanic' team that is 'being built' and will 'easily finish mid table this season' before 'pushing on from there'. It's Alice in Wonderland stuff.
Because of our points yield from the first six games of the season, I would guess that the shower currently purporting to play for us will end up scraping home with about 55 points in about 18th place. Nothing mid-table about it, and a doffed cap to Jack Payne and Eastwood.
Then will begin the mother of all clear-outs, as the 'talismanic team' gets dismantled. We are looking at, what, 15 players out? And quite a few of those left behind, one would not want to be left. And our only valuable players have 1 year left on their contract (Eastwood, Ledson, Nelson, Hall) or nothing (Rothwell) After years of careful building across many different parts of the club by Kelvin, Lenagan and Ashton, this chaos has been looming down the track for a while after two years of bad and unstrategic decisions which have gone unexamined and unnoticed by a supine fanbase. I just fervently hope that we get a new manager bounce to get us over the line and give Tiger the one remaining plus point - League 1 status - to build from. We have the perfect two games to launch the bounce and get short-term confidence up a little, so let's hope the new gaffer gets announced on Monday and has a few days to work on a plan for Fleetwood.

Fair post. I’ll admit I was one of those who was overly complacent but am now nervous. The 30 points in 28 games stat is alarming.

Indeed. And if we need 10 points from only the next 3 games and discount the subsequent 9 games, then relegation is a mathematical certainty. We are doomed.

Clearly, we are not 'doomed'. But, in my view, the usual flatterers and ass lickers are unduly complacent. Little Dave and Tim airily brush off our current position - as they have since we started playing badly back in the autumn - and say 'no point in worrying, we are far too good to go down'
And they always rest hopes on a sudden dramatic improvement from someone they know nothing about. A new player. A new manager. This leaving aside that they thought that the current players and Pep were the second coming after we drew at home to an average Bradford side.
The form is indisputable. We have garnered 30 points from 28 games. That is a very large sample, and indicates a return of about 1.1 points a game - or 52 points in a season if displayed over the full 46 games.
So, since September we have displayed the form of a team who may scrape 20th place.
And yet we are told that this is a 'talismanic' team that is 'being built' and will 'easily finish mid table this season' before 'pushing on from there'. It's Alice in Wonderland stuff.
Because of our points yield from the first six games of the season, I would guess that the shower currently purporting to play for us will end up scraping home with about 55 points in about 18th place. Nothing mid-table about it, and a doffed cap to Jack Payne and Eastwood.
Then will begin the mother of all clear-outs, as the 'talismanic team' gets dismantled. We are looking at, what, 15 players out? And quite a few of those left behind, one would not want to be left. And our only valuable players have 1 year left on their contract (Eastwood, Ledson, Nelson, Hall) or nothing (Rothwell) After years of careful building across many different parts of the club by Kelvin, Lenagan and Ashton, this chaos has been looming down the track for a while after two years of bad and unstrategic decisions which have gone unexamined and unnoticed by a supine fanbase. I just fervently hope that we get a new manager bounce to get us over the line and give Tiger the one remaining plus point - League 1 status - to build from. We have the perfect two games to launch the bounce and get short-term confidence up a little, so let's hope the new gaffer gets announced on Monday and has a few days to work on a plan for Fleetwood.

Still insults, Ive said we’re perfectly capable of going down, I’ve also said I’m just not going to start predicting it or worrying about it at xmas. I’ve also said I don’t think it would be disastrous if we do go down. But still u pick out facts that suit ur argument. One day we need 10 points from 9 games, the next 10 from 7. Ignoring the fact there’s 12 to play, but that doesn’t make it sound as bad. and u continue with petty name calling if it makes u feel big

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it not disastrous if we go down? It’s taken years to get us back here and I want us to be a championship side not one making up the numbers in league 2

Charlie, first can I say it's nice to see you posting again and I hope your return comes hand in hand with a return to better health too. I for one welcome opposing views on this forum that question all aspects of our club, it's interesting and ultimately healthy to expose people differing opinions.

That being said I have to say this interminable spat that rumbles on between you and Dave and collected cohorts is becoming increasingly boring. Calling him 'little Dave' at every opportunity is only equaled in it's churlish spite by his calling you 'Charles' and both of you turning to the rest of the forum and moaning 'but he started it' is painful. It's about time someone took the moral high ground you both seem to claim and I have to agree with @PC 's comments on this earlier.

As to your points in this post I tend to agree we have been complacent and need to tread carefully but happen to think we will end up safe by the end of the season, more due to the poor form of others down there than any huge improvement on our part I have to say. The rest of the post however I find hard to believe is not skewed by your personal and business relationships. You conveniently rewrite history, now totally handing all credit to our resurgence to Mark Ashton and deleting Eales from any part of it, until of course it comes to apportioning blame for that process stalling badly last year. You claim all young talent has been abandoned when quoting our assets but fail to mention the return to that model with Dickie and Brannigan. Largely untested yes, but very much assets in the mould of Lego and Lunny. You also paint Kelvin and Lenagan as architects of our recent success? I'm sorry but even a man in your profession must have winced typing that. Lenagan had many positive characteristics and should be applauded for the beginning of the regeneration of our youth policy but like it or not, he was complicit in allowing Merry to sign us into the misery in which we now sit with regards to the stadium, a topic you have been particularly vocal on.

Once again, it's nice to have you back Charlie, but on these points, we have to differ.

Is that not his name ? It’s by no means meant to be churlish, I thought that’s what he’s called, same as I’m often referred to as dave or David. And if u read back i have offered several times to call a truce and to put an end to it, agreed to disagree ,yet the insults continue even in posts unrelated to me.

Wow, you're a little ray of sunshine today aren't you!!

You are right that we have picked up just over 1 point a game for most of the season, but then have so many of the teams around us, some with even worse form than us.

So, as you yourself has said in the past, it is those with the points that are king in this situation. 5 or 6 points advantage means that if we maintain our points per game we can expect around 14 more points. That means that the likes of Fleetwood would need another 20 or so points despite being in freefall.

So suggesting that relegation isn't likely is not being foolishly complacent, it is just looking critically at teams that are already far worse off than we are, as well as being critical of ourselves.

And the summer could mean that we lose several players, but our asset stripping former chairman was also supposed to be getting rid of Ledson, Eastwood and Ruffels in January but that didn't happen.

So chill out, enjoy the ride and stop stressing over things you (thankfully) have no control over!!!

Wow, you're a little ray of sunshine today aren't you!!

You are right that we have picked up just over 1 point a game for most of the season, but then have so many of the teams around us, some with even worse form than us.

So, as you yourself has said in the past, it is those with the points that are king in this situation. 5 or 6 points advantage means that if we maintain our points per game we can expect around 14 more points. That means that the likes of Fleetwood would need another 20 or so points despite being in freefall.

So suggesting that relegation isn't likely is not being foolishly complacent, it is just looking critically at teams that are already far worse off than we are, as well as being critical of ourselves.

And the summer could mean that we lose several players, but our asset stripping former chairman was also supposed to be getting rid of Ledson, Eastwood and Ruffels in January but that didn't happen.

So chill out, enjoy the ride and stop stressing over things you (thankfully) have no control over!!!
Another verbose post full of sly insults at anyone one who disagrees with the chimp now or at any time in the past. His obsession with Dave is almost internet stalking in it's intensity. What an odd way for a PR professional to behave eh?

A
Charlie, first can I say it's nice to see you posting again and I hope your return comes hand in hand with a return to better health too. I for one welcome opposing views on this forum that question all aspects of our club, it's interesting and ultimately healthy to expose people differing opinions.

That being said I have to say this interminable spat that rumbles on between you and Dave and collected cohorts is becoming increasingly boring. Calling him 'little Dave' at every opportunity is only equaled in it's churlish spite by his calling you 'Charles' and both of you turning to the rest of the forum and moaning 'but he started it' is painful. It's about time someone took the moral high ground you both seem to claim and I have to agree with @PC 's comments on this earlier.

As to your points in this post I tend to agree we have been complacent and need to tread carefully but happen to think we will end up safe by the end of the season, more due to the poor form of others down there than any huge improvement on our part I have to say. The rest of the post however I find hard to believe is not skewed by your personal and business relationships. You conveniently rewrite history, now totally handing all credit to our resurgence to Mark Ashton and deleting Eales from any part of it, until of course it comes to apportioning blame for that process stalling badly last year. You claim all young talent has been abandoned when quoting our assets but fail to mention the return to that model with Dickie and Brannigan. Largely untested yes, but very much assets in the mould of Lego and Lunny. You also paint Kelvin and Lenagan as architects of our recent success? I'm sorry but even a man in your profession must have winced typing that. Lenagan had many positive characteristics and should be applauded for the beginning of the regeneration of our youth policy but like it or not, he was complicit in allowing Merry to sign us into the misery in which we now sit with regards to the stadium, a topic you have been particularly vocal on.

Once again, it's nice to have you back Charlie, but on these points, we have to differ.

A lot of that is fair. Especially Merrys deal with Kassam that Lenagan should have spotted as disastrous, sleeping shareholder though he was at that point.
But from circa 2008 (was that when KT came back?) through to two years ago, a series of good decisions, and long term decisions at that, were made by Thomas, Lenagan and Ashton, who had executive control of the club throughout that period.
Re-engaging with the county and selecting Wilder (Thomas), rebuilding the YTS and professionalising the sports science and analysis department (IL) and appointing Appleton and re building a scouting system (Ashton).
All of these things, backed by IL and DE's money, led to a gradual upturn in our fortunes from the nadir of Droylsden to almost chinning a Premier League side, away, in the 5th round of the Cup.
But by then the misjudgements and lack of strategic direction were well underway. Public failings out with Kassam, councils and supporters, firing commercial and marketing people, undermining the MD, suggesting publicly that the manager is receiving backing that never arrived, making demoralizing cuts to the academy. What we are seeing now - wantaway players, no manager, s**t football, managerial candidates walking away, chief scout resigning, no marketing initiatives of any kind, no new commercial deals..... all of these things are the net result of 2 years of bad decisions.
The Rossers of this world say that we are further forward in every regard than four years ago. I disagree. Now (As opposed to 18 months ago) we are further forward in only one regard: our League status. And if we lose that, then - other than the memories of the side Appleton built - we will be worse off than before because the structural loss will be higher than pre Ensco.
You can characterise this critique as personal if you wish. But it's not. On a personal level, I never got on with Kelvin or Ashton. Whereas DE can be very likeable. It's just what I regard as a really poor series of decisions since he took executive control.

Is that not his name ? It’s by no means meant to be churlish, I thought that’s what he’s called, same as I’m often referred to as dave or David. And if u read back i have offered several times to call a truce and to put an end to it, agreed to disagree ,yet the insults continue even in posts unrelated to me.
Am fine with being called Charles!

As for insults ceasing, pull the other one. After spending a week or two away, I came back and found a trail of insulting posts from you, and a gradual transference to insulting Myles instead. If you want to debate the issues I am so happy to personalise. But every time I raise an issue you personalise it and refuse to debate the substance while diving into personalizing anything I have to say as driven by bitterness/ agenda/ whatever.
Since everyone else is thoroughly bored by it, why don't we just debate substance and leave each other out of it.
I am actually interested in what you really think and why. You just never quite get to that bit.
So here's a starter for ten. I am genuinely interested in why you think we will finish mid-table. I cannot see it myself, but perhaps I am underestimating the new manager factor (c.f. southend) so - let's hear the positive case for this team, because I have lost confidence in them to the point where I think that there is a 1 in 3 or 4 chance that they will collapse totally and only get another 8 or 9 points this season.

Sor

As for insults ceasing, pull the other one. After spending a week or two away, I came back and found a trail of insulting posts from you, and a gradual transference to insulting Myles instead. If you want to debate the issues I am so happy to personalise. But every time I raise an issue you personalise it and refuse to debate the substance while diving into personalizing anything I have to say as driven by bitterness/ agenda/ whatever.
Since everyone else is thoroughly bored by it, why don't we just debate substance and leave each other out of it.
I am actually interested in what you really think and why. You just never quite get to that bit.
So here's a starter for ten. I am genuinely interested in why you think we will finish mid-table. I cannot see it myself, but perhaps I am underestimating the new manager factor (c.f. southend) so - let's hear the positive case for this team, because I have lost confidence in them to the point where I think that there is a 1 in 3 or 4 chance that they will collapse totally and only get another 8 or 9 points this season.
Sorry, Dave. So happy to DE personalise!

What’s an insulting post? Quoting something that u and Myles have said in the past.

I’m glad ur ok with being called Charles, I have never meant it as anything other than calling u by ur name.

For clarity I’m personally not so keen on continuously being called

Little dave
A lickspittle
A Useful idiot
A thicko
A pseudonymous troll
Compared to a peado
Compared to hitler

Use of such terms is summed up pretty well below and funnily enough will get a reaction from me.

According to Eva Jajonie, a clinical psychotherapist from the American Center for Psychiatry and Neurology in Abu Dhabi, "When suppressed concerns and feelings, such as lack of self-esteem; self-defeating thoughts and behaviours; guilt; and anger, for example, are not treated or dealt with, the person uses insults to unleash anger, to escape dealing with the pain or trauma experienced or as a way to exert control [over another person] and feel powerful."

But still. Leave those out of ur posts and u will find I nearly always debate the point and have views that ain’t exactly that radical, u just don’t agree with them. That’s fine.

So here’s an answer for 10. When did I last mention I think we would comfortably finish mid table ? Was it a fair few games ago when we were as close to the playoffs as to relegation ? Was that a crazy point, or fair for the time I made it ?

Have I since also said that we are more than capable of being relegated, have I said that results against the next two are very important ? Have I said it would take a massive swing of form from the other teams to still put us in trouble.

I am genuinely interested in why u think I can’t make my assessment based on where we are rather than months in advance when it might not have happened.

Again I’m more than happy to call a truce charlie, I won’t agree with all u have to say, don’t try influencing people’s opinions or using childish name calling in posts I’m not even involved in with u, and I won’t respond . Fair?

on a different note, is pekalski ever going to feature and I thought Robbie would be on the bench we are definitely going to need him.

Brannagan in for Mowatt. Keep Ricardinho left midfield (he adds a certain creativity). Put Ruffles in at left back. Replace B-R with Napa. Thomas in for Obika. Kane stays. Henry stays. Mousinho and Dickie stay.

Agree with a lot of that (Wasn't impressed with Mowatt or Obika either). But whilst i have nothing at all against Napa its a bit harsh on B-R who was involved in almost of all of our good attacking (right) sided play yesterday (Highlights also support this). Admittedly he went quiet for a spell but that was when he got switched to the left for what seemed like an age in the 2nd half.

Nothing wrong with Napa but harsh imo on B-R who was involved in almost of all of our good attacking (right) sided play yesterday (Highlights also support this). Admittedly he went quiet for a spell but that was when he got switched to the left for what seemed like an age in the 2nd half.
I agree with this. B-R was very effective indeed in the first half. Napa was also very good when he came on though and I can see the appeal of giving a player who will be here next season time on the pitch as opposed to one who won't be... We have so few effective players at the moment, it is sod's law that two of the exciting youngsters both play in the same position!

Back
Top Bottom