Away Match Day Thread 24/11/2020 L1 Portsmouth FC v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell you what this thread has everything. Ive never "liked" so many posts a bit of a classic and it hasnt degenerated into a slanging match ...yet. Ill bet Kip is stroking his white cat just joking. Mcguane looked a lot more effective btw.
Agreed. Which is great modeling of how we should all accept different opinions.

I can understand why some people get frustrated by Kip. All I’m asking is that we don’t constantly shout him down and jump on him snidely. We can debate his points.

Equally I can understand why some people may think that it doesn’t have the hallmarks of bullying. My opinion is it’s on the cusp and whilst he may seem calm and resilient we don’t know what goes on behind anyone’s keyboard.

Long may we continue to debate cordially.

it was a huge frustration of mine that Charlie made many great points but they were overshadowed by his awful inter personal skills therefore almost destroying the impact of very well made and insightful points

Yet my memory of growing up wat hing Oxford in the 80s was we won just about every game I saw at The Manor, so either I'm only remembering the good times, which is the opposite to what you suggest, or we were just a bloody fantastic team back then... 😁
A bit like the school summer holidays lasting forever and not a drop of rain. Happy days!

Reference the rabbit in Charney Bassett, personally I'd like more such good news stories. I mean, it's not as if there's currently anything else going on in the world that's newsworthy.

There was an article in the local paper about re-uniting people with their false teeth that they'd lost on the beach which was heartwarming. Now almost nobody has false teeth, which is nice so they have to make fake ones out of papier-mache which keeps the kids happy during lockdown.. See. Happy fucking news. Brilliant.

The thread has certainly been an interesting read having caught up on the last couple of days!

Honestly, i really dont take any of the criticism to heart, its a football forum at the end of the day and its great that people are so passionate in defence of the club. I love the debate :) but will always question some of the bullshit we are fed, given our not so distant past ("ill take you on a journey") i think thats the right thing to do.

For avoidance of any doubt, ive supported Oxford for about 25 years (im 36) ive seen us lose to Tonbridge Angels, Histon, Hayes & Yeading, i was at Barrow on our first day in the conference, but ive also seen us Win at Wembley, beat the scum at their gaff, and numerous highlights in between!

Youll find me in the Blackbird before most games. Heck ive probably had a pint with many on here.

So feel free to abuse me, insult me, call me a tosser, just dont ever accuse me of being a Swindon fan! Cos that cuts deep!

So feel free to abuse me, insult me, call me a tosser, just dont ever accuse me of being a Swindon fan! Cos that cuts deep!

You're not Reading are you??!!! 🤣🤣🤣

*disclaimer - this post is intended as humorous. I in no way endorse bullying in any capacity and do not wish offence by anything I say, or anything other think I say!!!

I'd agree with the post by @tonto above, and some others on this thread. No-one's abusing anyone else. I notice Kip himself has not responded at all. It all comes down to accepting that others might have views different to yours and, provided they're expressed intelligently and with no unpleasantness, surely they are justifiable?

There's definitely a place for censorship on any forum, and the moderating team on here have got a pretty good handle on when that needs to be imposed.

To my mind, trying to label Kip as disloyal - as several have tried to do - is unfortunate and reminds me of the bad old days on TIU when anyone who didn't fly the OUFC flag enthusiastically on every occasion was subjected to negative comments from a minority.

Reference Charlie, a highly intelligent man with strong views who often over-stepped the mark by belittling other posters who had different views. Not a great advert for a healthy discussion forum, and only a few of us are actually 'thick' as Charlie liked to infer.

Reference the rabbit in Charney Bassett, personally I'd like more such good news stories. I mean, it's not as if there's currently anything else going on in the world that's newsworthy.
In the interests of balance Charlie took abuse and had the balls to call out the know it alls/egos on here. He was often reflecting and reacting rather than instigating. I know that isn't going to be a popular view but as an outsider looking in that was my view.

The thread has certainly been an interesting read having caught up on the last couple of days!

Honestly, i really dont take any of the criticism to heart, its a football forum at the end of the day and its great that people are so passionate in defence of the club. I love the debate :) but will always question some of the bullshit we are fed, given our not so distant past ("ill take you on a journey") i think thats the right thing to do.

For avoidance of any doubt, ive supported Oxford for about 25 years (im 36) ive seen us lose to Tonbridge Angels, Histon, Hayes & Yeading, i was at Barrow on our first day in the conference, but ive also seen us Win at Wembley, beat the scum at their gaff, and numerous highlights in between!

Youll find me in the Blackbird before most games. Heck ive probably had a pint with many on here.

We didn’t play Barrow until our third year of the Conference when we managed to do this for the first game of that season (admittedly that season ended up rather fun as Wilder turned Patto’s no-hopers into play off chasers).

Knew Kip would slip up 😉.

We didn’t play Barrow until our third year of the Conference when we managed to do this for the first game of that season (admittedly that season ended up rather fun as Wilder turned Patto’s no-hopers into play off chasers).

Knew Kip would slip up 😉.
Got quite tasty outside after the match

Got quite tasty outside after the match
Oops, yep, meant first day of the full conference season under Patto in the conference when Jamie Guy was the great hope after an amazing pre season.

Still recall the pained look on Jim Smiths face afterwards as he watched the bottles go whizzing by his parked Jag!

Walked into a pub with my partner at the time, the place literally fell silent. Just the ticking of the clock.

An absolute shitehole of the highest order, and i worked in Luton!

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: QR
What I remember most were the endless ‘debates’ in the away end about whether James Clarke should or should not have been sent off (presumably the game was on TV?). Not been back to this enchanting part of the world since.

What I remember most were the endless ‘debates’ in the away end about whether James Clarke should or should not have been sent off (presumably the game was on TV?). Not been back to this enchanting part of the world since.

Yes it was, Setanta as I watched it while in the JR.

Setanta - that brings back memories. I subscribed for a season to see the away games, then at the end of the season decided it was a waste of money as I'd ended up going to many of them anyway (not Barrrow!). I remember ringing up to cancel and the price just fell and fell until they offered it to me for £1.99 for the season. I didn't take them up on it - and shortly afterwards they went bust!

Not much of a debate really needed about it. X-rated then and doesn't get much better watching it back 12 years later.

Ben Hinchcliffe's sorry debut and the only 45 minutes of football from Rob Davies that we ever saw. Weird times for OUFC and a division I don't ever want to revisit.

Oops, yep, meant first day of the full conference season under Patto in the conference when Jamie Guy was the great hope after an amazing pre season.

Still recall the pained look on Jim Smiths face afterwards as he watched the bottles go whizzing by his parked Jag!

Walked into a pub with my partner at the time, the place literally fell silent. Just the ticking of the clock.

An absolute shitehole of the highest order, and i worked in Luton!
Luton is the scariest and most unpleasant town I have been to. I quite want to visit Barrow but not see us play!

I quite want to visit Barrow but not see us play!

Some of my family are from the area and the old man is a Barrow fan but we've also turned him into an Oxford fan/season ticket holder. It is like anywhere and has the odd incident, just like we have, with a few Green Street wannabes. I've been to Holker Street plenty of times when visiting family and not seen much trouble there including some big games (full houses) for them as well.

If you do go, the Duddon Estuary (Barrow sits next to it) is lovely with the RSPB Hodbarrow Reserve (by Millom/Haverigg) worth a visit.. Also, go up the Duddon Valley/past Ulpha as quieter than a lot of other areas but absolutely beautiful; you can go all the way upto Hardknott Pass* or on to Wrynose Pass then into the Langdales/Ambleside or come off early go over Broughton Mills+ and have a meal at the Blacksmiths Arms or at a pub in Broughton in Furness on the way back to Barrow.

I'd also suggest a visit to the Swinside Stone Circle for something which the vast majority of tourists don't know about or visit. This is near Millom on the other side of the Duddon Estuary.

*If you can find somewhere to park, have a look at Hardknott Roman Fort (quite a bit still standing) which overlooks Eskdale. It is free to have a look with information boards explaining individual bits. The views are spectacular as well. Time it to go over after 5 if light evenings as the traffic drops off considerably.

+Park/stop at the top of Broughton Mills and take a short walk to the old Slate mine (again free) just over the hill. You can still (I think this is the case anyway but could be wrong) go in some of the tunnel entrances. The one we went in (only the immediate entrance area so no danger) had graffiti from when it was opened and then closed. Walk across to the other side and you can go into the remains of old mine buildings made up of waste slate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom