Away Match Day Thread 24/11/2020 L1 Portsmouth FC v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
An element to this is that it feels better to vent frustrations on places like this (rather than take it out on the dog etc). It is natural that people post more when we lose or play badly rather than get a point at Portsmouth for example.

Just seen what lead up to the penalty decision......was ita foul?....looks like Agyei just fell over!
Not complaining though.

Yes, it was a foul...clear contact.
The second one was perhaps even clearer, but you never get two in the same game for something like that.

An element to this is that it feels better to vent frustrations on places like this (rather than take it out on the dog etc). It is natural that people post more when we lose or play badly rather than get a point at Portsmouth for example.
I don't understand that.
Why would it be more natural to post when you are frustrated than when you are (hopefully) happy, elated, full of the joys of a win?

I don't understand that.
Why would it be more natural to post when you are frustrated than when you are (hopefully) happy, elated, full of the joys of a win?
Its because negative emotions generally involve more thinking, and the information is processed more thoroughly than positive ones. Thus, we tend to ruminate more about unpleasant events — and use stronger words to describe them — than happy ones.

Its because negative emotions generally involve more thinking, and the information is processed more thoroughly than positive ones. Thus, we tend to ruminate more about unpleasant events — and use stronger words to describe them — than happy ones.
I'm genuinely interested in knowing whether that's just your opinion or whether you have any research evidence to back up that claim. This isn't anything that I actually study, but I there's plenty of evidence that a lot of aggressive acts come because the negative emotion simply isn't thought about--there's just a reaction.

But the game, particularly at the start and for much of the second half, was really good. Now that Atkinson and Gorrin are back and with a few games under their belts, and hopefully with Brannagan to come back as good as ever, we've got a team that could put together a very nice run of results and go marching up the table. (That was me processing my positive emotions, by the way, BM, in case you're wondering.)

This is completely right. Just look at the amount of replies and topics after a defeat and compare it to when we win. I have no problem with this as it is the norm across all football forums/social media.

I do though have a problem when a person is negative 80% of the time across all aspects of the club. If you are that way inclined then don't be surprised when a lot of what you say gets brought into question.

It is also very dangerous to start going down the bullying route when surely some of the stuff people say about Robinson and the players (Clare specifically at the moment) could be seen as bullying. Fans think they can say what they want about players and management yet when people pull them up on their points and have a go back some people say its bullying. Or they say they are entitled to their opinion but then wont let others have the opinion that they are a negative idiot (I know Kip didn't do this, it is just an observation).

At the end of the day, everyone has different views, some people are half full types, others are half empty. That is life and that is why it can create good debates but I think it is important we respect everyones opinions and also not get so sensitive when others disagree with us.

No disrespect Brassmonkey but where’s your evidence?! This is a football forum not the Beeb! We deal with facts around here!

I'm genuinely interested in knowing whether that's just your opinion or whether you have any research evidence to back up that claim. This isn't anything that I actually study, but I there's plenty of evidence that a lot of aggressive acts come because the negative emotion simply isn't thought about--there's just a reaction.

But the game, particularly at the start and for much of the second half, was really good. Now that Atkinson and Gorrin are back and with a few games under their belts, and hopefully with Brannagan to come back as good as ever, we've got a team that could put together a very nice run of results and go marching up the table. (That was me processing my positive emotions, by the way, BM, in case you're wondering.)
I think that’s a great question. I think this forum is a great example of how seemingly negative emotions are more readily indulged than positive ones. Although I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily down to the idea that negativity is prevailing.

As pointed out above a match day thread after we lose is far more likely to have more pages than a win.

A player out of form or perceived to be below the standard expected is far more likely to garner attention in the matchday thread or elsewhere.

I think this relates to the idea that the default expectation of a football fan is that:
A. We win
B. All players are considered sufficient to take the club forward

When they meet those expectations a brief acknowledgment and recognition may take place (Gorrin last two weeks and our win a week ago) and then People simply go away and enjoy it. No analysis needed.

When those default positions are not met then there is a sense of wishing to analyze what went wrong and understand why it went wrong and how it can be improved. In a business context this would be the same. Management don’t focus on the store or product that is making a large profit they focus on the one that is making a loss. They may briefly look at the success to understand how the less successful could be improved. The “why”.

It is because they have hope, aspirations and desire to improve better. As such you could often say that those indulging in this seemingly negative emotion are actually the ones with more drive and ambition. Charlie, for all his ills in communication, sometimes struck me as this. He genuinely wanted the best for the club. Kip might be the less articulate version of Charlie or he may just find the forum the best way of processing his frustration at the disappointment of failure., And yes he’s at the very end of the spectrum but someone has to be.

Heres an interesting little research study that I’m sure brass monkey was about to share ...

'been crap'. Went did Nostradamus start predicting the past? 😯

You may not have noticed but there are several predictions on this here football forum. Some are "we're in form just now, we're gonna smash those moonraking inbreds at the weekend", and some are along the lines of "we're bloody awful at the moment, we'll lose 3-0 on Saturday".

My point endures, does it not?

Following our last few performances I have been angry, frustrated, disillusioned, and frankly - I wanted you all to know it. Articulating my emotions to people who feel my pain saves me from going on the warpath - so cheers for that all. I don't think Ive ever been really insulting and personal towards anyone on here or to individual players, but I agree that the negative wins when it comes to forum use. Maybe its a British thing?...or a human trait?...to sort through the tripe and put it right, at least in our own minds...

I can only put myself in KR's shoes and I would probably be similar in my message to the players at OUFC. Being competitive myself and being involved in the beautiful game lower down, its often very damaging to be positive when its not warranted. Footballers on 2/3k a week (!) to play football do need to be told straight when they aren't reaching the levels that are expected of them. The lack of application I have seen several times already this season was becoming a huge worry. Not getting the technique right or making poor decisions is one thing but if we are all honest that show vs Crewe was unacceptable. The players have obviously been told in private.

I was satisfied in regards to the Pompey game. With the ability we have in the squad I think being satisfied is as far as I can go. I still feel we have a couple of gears to go through if Im honest. OUFC players are not paid well just to be good, honest men. They are paid to compete tooth and nail week in week out and Pompey away was a good start. Right then - time to blast the scum and kick on from there!

No disrespect Brassmonkey but where’s your evidence?! This is a football forum not the Beeb! We deal with facts around here!
Basic principles of psychology. Put it this way you are more upset to lose £50 than happy to find £50. You will remember more negative events strongly and in detail from childhood than positive events. Bad impressions and bad stereotypes are quicker to form and more resistant to disconfirmation than good ones etc.

Mmm as others have said, us there any behavioural evidence behind this?
My guess is that those who constantly have a go and rarely say anything positive are the type of people who don't enjoy many things in life. I may be wrong..

Basic principles of psychology. Put it this way you are more upset to lose £50 than happy to find £50. You will remember more negative events strongly and in detail from childhood than positive events. Bad impressions and bad stereotypes are quicker to form and more resistant to disconfirmation than good ones etc.
Yet my memory of growing up wat hing Oxford in the 80s was we won just about every game I saw at The Manor, so either I'm only remembering the good times, which is the opposite to what you suggest, or we were just a bloody fantastic team back then... 😁

Your post is factually incorrect in an extraordinarily big way by stating he only posts when we lose. That in itself suggests you’re buying into the mob mentality narrative.

Which proves my point that people are willing to jump on the bandwagon and criticize an individual based on what everyone else in the playground is doing without reflecting on fact.

As I say it shows the hallmarks of bullying and no it’s not embarrassing at all it’s calling people out for their behaviors of group think against one individual who turns up in a different way.

“oooh he’s a Swindon fan” 😴😴🥱😴🥱
Go and check the amount of posts he makes per game.

Mmm as others have said, us there any behavioural evidence behind this?
My guess is that those who constantly have a go and rarely say anything positive are the type of people who don't enjoy many things in life. I may be wrong..
I love life and I’m hugely positive but I’ll happily call out negative with football and specifically Oxford more than any other aspect of my life. I honestly think it’s cathartic.

But yes there’s plenty of studies if you do a quick google - I linked one higher up.

It’s the reason I guess the daily bbc news is naturally slanted to bad news stories rather than good ones which get token mention at the end.

I think recent responses on this thread - well, those referring to Kip rather than the Pompey match itself - show that a decent forum will have a range of views on any subject. Those who consider Kip as disloyal or a troll (or whatever negative they care to bring out) can always use the 'ignore' button.
Oh he is a troll, but in the original sense of someone who deliberately provokes or winds people up. He’s obviously a good guy and a supporter, probably a massive softy, but god he can be annoying!

I think that’s a great question. I think this forum is a great example of how seemingly negative emotions are more readily indulged than positive ones. Although I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily down to the idea that negativity is prevailing.

As pointed out above a match day thread after we lose is far more likely to have more pages than a win.

A player out of form or perceived to be below the standard expected is far more likely to garner attention in the matchday thread or elsewhere.

I think this relates to the idea that the default expectation of a football fan is that:
A. We win
B. All players are considered sufficient to take the club forward

When they meet those expectations a brief acknowledgment and recognition may take place (Gorrin last two weeks and our win a week ago) and then People simply go away and enjoy it. No analysis needed.

When those default positions are not met then there is a sense of wishing to analyze what went wrong and understand why it went wrong and how it can be improved. In a business context this would be the same. Management don’t focus on the store or product that is making a large profit they focus on the one that is making a loss. They may briefly look at the success to understand how the less successful could be improved. The “why”.

It is because they have hope, aspirations and desire to improve better. As such you could often say that those indulging in this seemingly negative emotion are actually the ones with more drive and ambition. Charlie, for all his ills in communication, sometimes struck me as this. He genuinely wanted the best for the club. Kip might be the less articulate version of Charlie or he may just find the forum the best way of processing his frustration at the disappointment of failure., And yes he’s at the very end of the spectrum but someone has to be.

Heres an interesting little research study that I’m sure brass monkey was about to share ...

Sorry, but I have to beg to differ there ("Kip might be the less articulate version of Charlie"). Certainly Charlie was articulate, and I respected his knowledge of the game. What I couldn't stand about him was his constant need to belittle anyone who dared to disagree with him. Sure, he came in for a lot of stick, but his manner of dishing it out was pathetic. What I don't like about most of Kip's posts is that he seems to delight in knocking Tiger and KR almost constantly, mostly for what they've not done. Not spent enough money, not got in all those good players like (Bristol Rovers, if my memory serves), and so on. I'll accept the mods' info that he really is an Oxford supporter, but I wish he'd actually SUPPORT the team. Criticism is fine, when it's warranted, but he comes across as a troll. I have to admit, however, that he does take the criticism he gets surprisingly well...something that would have made Charlie more endearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom