Away Match Day Thread 24/11/2020 L1 Portsmouth FC v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our attacking options are incredible now. So much depth on both wings and up front, even with Winnall and Cooper out. Clare on that wing is a revelation. The T’Manor podcast made the really good point this week that Clare and Marvin Johnson are analogous signings, in that both were attacking players moved to fullback. But where MJ got a run on the wing first to win us over as fans, meaning we had more patience as he started out at LB, Clare simply hasn’t. And that means we haven’t seen what a good player he can be - until now.

Some very good performances all round - Atkinson, Agyei, Long in particular, as well as Clare - but the man who defines whether we play well or not is Alex Gorrin. In terms of the impact he has on how the team plays I can’t think of a more significant signing this decade - maybe Roofe? When he’s on form we boss the midfield, look solid at the back, and quickly spring attacks. Everyone else fits in around him. The last two games he’s been back to his best and it’s no coincidence they’ve been, I think, our two best performances of the year so far.

Pompey fans hate Jackett, from what I gather, primarily for his lack of ambition, and you do have to feel that once they got that goal against the run of play they should have gone for the jugular and finished us off. They had the chances. But, that said, we more than deserved the draw in the end. Ragett and their keeper played brilliantly.

The perfect platform for Saturday. Very happy.

Last edited:
Great performance 2nd half. I thought Agyei played well but I wouldn't have him over Taylor. I think Clare was a constant threat but he just doesn't like tracking back to do the dirty bits. Gorrin was MOTM, McGuane when he came on again showed us what an excellent player he will be.
My biggest concern is Shodipo. If we can, I'd send him back in January. He just isn't interested and not cut out yet for league 1 football. Is there a player in there? Most definitely but I think we wont see that potential during this loan.

We're nothing without Gorrin, nothing. Nothing works without him (or a player in his style, like that Charlton midfielder we had on loan a couple of seasons ago)

Agree `100%.
Atkinson is free to do his thing precisely because he knows that Gorrin's going to slot in behind him, and all the midfielders can get forward safe in the knowledge that Gorrin's going to be there to cover for them. And it turns out he can take a mean penalty as well.

He's OOC in the summer isn't he? I hope we've put a decent contract extension in front of him already.

It's a shame that we've built a squad without any real cover for him in that position. I guess, if he gets his legs under him, then Mousinho is the one but he's not got the same engine.

Early season, the thinking seemed to be that Kelly could play in there. Whilst I don't hate him as a player alongside Gorrin, he just can't replace him. Just doesn't have the defensive discipline or the natural positional awareness you need.......

Different team tonight - showed glimpses of the team we were last season. More bite, better decisions, increased intensity, moved the ball across the turf quicker and a bit braver on the ball. I thought we were good value for a point.

Couldn't get my head around their goal - just couldn't see it coming but all in all a thumbs up from me.

Feel sorry for @greatunclekip having to work and missing that game!!

Suspect he'll also go missing after we smash Swindon on Saturday!

Bless!
I have to say it’s really tiresome reading post after post slating Greatunclekip.

I don’t know the guy and I certainly don’t agree with everything he writes. But it really shows up those that feel the need to jump on anything he says and insult or slate him. Much of what he says really isn’t that extraordinary or contrary to our reality even if it’s a different slant to what some of us would say,

it’s a classic example of modern cancel culture where a spectrum of opinions is scorned upon (rather than valued for diversity to evolve our thinking). It’s people who try to social media silence others who aren’t perfectly aligned to their own binary truth.

This forum deserves and can do better.

please give it a rest .

Great performance 2nd half. I thought Agyei played well but I wouldn't have him over Taylor. I think Clare was a constant threat but he just doesn't like tracking back to do the dirty bits. Gorrin was MOTM, McGuane when he came on again showed us what an excellent player he will be.
My biggest concern is Shodipo. If we can, I'd send him back in January. He just isn't interested and not cut out yet for league 1 football. Is there a player in there? Most definitely but I think we wont see that potential during this loan.
Cooper over Shodipo, all day long.

What?! He’s literally never played anywhere else until he got here, and tonight he worked his balls off, put himself about and won a penalty!
Agyei did well tonight and put himself about, but has played better for us at LW.

Not really bothered what he did before he came to us, just basing it on what I've seen from him here in all three front positions.

What?! He’s literally never played anywhere else until he got here, and tonight he worked his balls off, put himself about and won a penalty!
Agreed - but I think it's fair to say that Agyei is probably never going to be a 20 goal a season man. He just doesn't have the striking instincts to do that.

He could be a very good Emile Heskey-style striker, and there's a lot of value in that........

Gorrin MOM by a distance.
Obida and McGuane (and Sykes) made a big difference when they came on.
If Taylor had started upfront I reckon we would have won.
Oh and Atkinson looks a real player.

Great result fellows despite the ref and a few key absentees. When you think there’s still no Brannagan and Taylor and Winnall weren’t playing it’s feeling like Karl is working out his players.

A bit baffling that it’s taken him this long to work out Clare. I can’t help but feel he gets co fused by his formation and the number of multi purpose players he has. Back in 1996 we knew who played where and who would replace them if they were injured. This squad seems like the opposite end of the spectrum with just a melange of a structure

I have to say it’s really tiresome reading post after post slating Greatunclekip.

I don’t know the guy and I certainly don’t agree with everything he writes. But it really shows up those that feel the need to jump on anything he says and insult or slate him. Much of what he says really isn’t that extraordinary or contrary to our reality even if it’s a different slant to what some of us would say,

it’s a classic example of modern cancel culture where a spectrum of opinions is scorned upon (rather than valued for diversity to evolve our thinking). It’s people who try to social media silence others who aren’t perfectly aligned to their own binary truth.

please give it a rest .
TBH I can't help thinking that GUP has a big enough pair and a thick enough skin not to go all wibbly lipped when he gets a reaction to his posts.

I know there are some who love to put the blame for everything on Robinson but you can't under estimate the impact of having Gorrin and Atkinson missing for half the season so far. Both have been immense in the last two games, and Long at right back just gives us a solid base to work from.

Clare, Agyei and (at times) Shodipo gave pace and a direct option that will scare any team, but always felt that we still needed a natural goal scorer to finish off the approach work.

Plenty of positives from the last two games, and with the prospect of fans being allowed in the next week or so, there's no reason why we can really push on up the league.

please give it a rest .

I look forward to having the same respect coming my way from those who jump on my every post!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom