Away Match Day Thread +++ 24/11/18 Bradford City v OUFC +++

Bad points....still can’t win away in the league
Good points...our home form looks better than for a while.
One defeat in nine isn’t bad at all, and we are still outside the bottom four.
I am reasonably optimistic about the rest of the season. Whilst the play offs are a step too far, we are building good foundations for the future. I hope that we can pick up a striker in January

I had a feeling we'd loose today as I could sense an arrogance in KRs and Brannagans pre match interviews. I didnt see the game so I may be well out on that judgement. I think you have to keep a survivors head on until you're well clear. Fine line between playing with confidence and arrogance. Arrogance is what got Swansea and Newcastle a stuffing in the FA cups gone by. I think we'll put another bit of form together again though. Needed a reminder perhaps.

Totally disagree with this. Listened to KR before the game and he said over and over again that we couldn't underestimate Bradford.

Bradford were an apology of a football side; except of course for their 100% commitment and world class time wasting. We could be sitting there now and it would still be 2-0.

Thought it was a worrying performance - best moment of the game was when Whyte- who was kicked alll day sprinted 70 yards to hack down their full back out of sheer frustration.

Liked their schizophrenic ground. 19. 5 K double decker capacity one side - bizarre little open stand garage/lock up the other.

Get Holmes back on Tuesday somehow.

It sounds like Holmes could be back Tuesday after finding an alternative way to treat his back injury.

Always a long round trip to West Yorkshire fair play to the other travelling yellows, it was just not our day! Really thought the ref made no attempt to curtail their constant time wasting and at times seemed to slow the game down with his own faffing about, don't get me wrong the home side deserved the win albeit in a shithousery manor.

34 points still needed from 27 games !

That’s my main concern.

Yeah we lost today and we knew our run would come to an end - no biggie even if we gave some points away to Bradford. But the concern is that we can ill afford to be doing this.

We wasted essentially the first quarter of the season chucking points away. Games like today should really be for getting us out of this mess.

Always a long round trip to West Yorkshire fair play to the other travelling yellows, it was just not our day! Really thought the ref made no attempt to curtail their constant time wasting and at times seemed to slow the game down with his own faffing about, don't get me wrong the home side deserved the win albeit in a shithousery manor.

Apart from he added 8mins injury time!!

Last edited:
Fair play to Bradford, they got 2 quick goals and shut up shop. They had the experience in their team to know how to slow a game down, play the ref and bullied us off the ball.

We didn't play badly at all. In fact for the first 20 minutes we battered Bradford but didn't take our chances. Then Eastwood makes an unusual mistake and flaps at the ball but misses it and it goes in. Ruffles had a nightmare of a game which you can't say about him that often. The final straw for Robinson I think was when Ruffs went to kick it and completely missed the ball and it went out of play.
In the 2nd half Bradford were excellent at keep their shape and stuck 5 men across the back then a rigid 3 in front of them. That is very hard to break through and it was hard for Whyte and Browne to get in behind them.

Subs wise, well yesterday's bench summed up how thread bare our squad is right now. Smith was the only attacking option and he really offers you very little. Yesterday would of been the perfect game for Bradbury but I'm not sure why he wasn't on the bench?

After the game in the Bradford Arms all the home fans I spoke to were very complimentary of us, suggesting what a good team they had but they were happy to finally see their team wise up and become shithouses. They agreed we were the better team and they time wasted and cheated but as they put it, would we not do the same if we were bottom of the league?

As for the ref, wow what can you say?! He continually let them cheat, missed a blatant penalty first half, refused to give some of the most obvious fouls, I think it was Browne who got wiped out from behind and generally just went along with the noise from the crowd. He even stopped a couple of our attacks due to not playing advantage and bringing it back for our free kick. He allowed them to take a free kick in our half which was for an offside decision! Then to really confirm he didn't know the rules he made Smith go off the pitch after the red card until our free kick had been taken. The new rules state that the player no longer has to leave the field of play!!

A very frustrating afternoon but in the grand scheme of things lets hope its only a minor hiccup.

Fair play to Bradford, they got 2 quick goals and shut up shop. They had the experience in their team to know how to slow a game down, play the ref and bullied us off the ball.

We didn't play badly at all. In fact for the first 20 minutes we battered Bradford but didn't take our chances. Then Eastwood makes an unusual mistake and flaps at the ball but misses it and it goes in. Ruffles had a nightmare of a game which you can't say about him that often. The final straw for Robinson I think was when Ruffs went to kick it and completely missed the ball and it went out of play.
In the 2nd half Bradford were excellent at keep their shape and stuck 5 men across the back then a rigid 3 in front of them. That is very hard to break through and it was hard for Whyte and Browne to get in behind them.

Subs wise, well yesterday's bench summed up how thread bare our squad is right now. Smith was the only attacking option and he really offers you very little. Yesterday would of been the perfect game for Bradbury but I'm not sure why he wasn't on the bench?

After the game in the Bradford Arms all the home fans I spoke to were very complimentary of us, suggesting what a good team they had but they were happy to finally see their team wise up and become shithouses. They agreed we were the better team and they time wasted and cheated but as they put it, would we not do the same if we were bottom of the league?

As for the ref, wow what can you say?! He continually let them cheat, missed a blatant penalty first half, refused to give some of the most obvious fouls, I think it was Browne who got wiped out from behind and generally just went along with the noise from the crowd. He even stopped a couple of our attacks due to not playing advantage and bringing it back for our free kick. He allowed them to take a free kick in our half which was for an offside decision! Then to really confirm he didn't know the rules he made Smith go off the pitch after the red card until our free kick had been taken. The new rules state that the player no longer has to leave the field of play!!

A very frustrating afternoon but in the grand scheme of things lets hope its only a minor hiccup.

A free kick from an offside decision can be taken in the attacking team’s half, because it’s taken from where the player who was deemed offside actually touches the ball. So player is in an offside position in the defending team’s half, but actually touches the ball in his own half, and this is where the free kick takes place.

But I agree with you, the red was awful, but we knew that would be the case.

Not sure if we played well after the first 20mins though!

Not going to get overly excited about loosing yesterday. In fact I thought we would, it’s just like us, It’s what we do!
In reality we’re still the same team and our league position doesn’t lie.

We have too many good players that are injured.

We have too many good players that can’t play more than a couple of games in a row.

We have players that should never kick a ball for us again.

We have too many KR signings that haven’t worked out.

Back
Top Bottom