Home Match Build Up 24-10-2020 L1 OUFC v Swindon Town MATCH OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
You folks all need to all chill out a bit.

It’s just a postponed game at a time of extraordinary tumult.

Some of the drama on here makes me think you folks are back in the pubs on your 6th Bacardi breezer

It’s not just this game though, and by the looks of it it’s only going to get worse. The season is a farce already with teams having disadvantages over others.

Oxford United have been left frustrated and disappointed that tomorrow’s Sky Bet League 1 home game against Swindon Town can no longer go ahead.

Managing Director Niall McWilliams said

“On behalf of Oxford United we can only apologise to our fans that a game they look forward to more than any other fixture has been called off in this manner. To say we are very disappointed is a massive understatement, however there was nothing we could do to avoid the game being called off.

“It came after Swindon Town notified the EFL that they could not fulfil the fixture and the EFL have confirmed to us this evening that the game will not happen tomorrow. Until we had that confirmation we were unable to comment and that only adds to our frustration and we are currently seeking advice on our next steps

“We have now had three home games called off in quick succession and right now, when times are hard for every football club, that is putting livelihoods in doubt.

“We believe in the values and integrity of the EFL and what the league stands for but at the same time we will fight very hard for what we think, as a football club, is right."

Seems not everyone at the club is as magnanimous or as relaxed about it as some on here...

IF NOT, SCRAP THE SEASON NOW

I still don't think people truly understand how dangerous this view is? Without a huge cash injection from the EFL or PL, a dozen or more clubs will likely go under before the end of this season, even with games taking place. Cancel the season now, with no income, advertising contracts cancelled and possible season ticket refunds and the outcome will be horrendous.

We have to find a way to get through this season, no matter how difficult or frustrating this might be. This is one game, one game we desperately wanted to play, and one where we were expecting another big victory. But still only one game. We have another 40 to worry about and now is not the time for hysteria and panic. We simply use the time to get players fitter and stronger and go again on Tuesday.

Swindon did not even name a full bench on Tuesday away at Northampton so if they had a few injuries then COVID-19 is an easy out and you wouldn’t put anything past them....
The term “RISK OVER REWARD“ comes to mind..
We all get up for work sometimes and think “I CAN‘T BE BOTHERED” and this is being used to advantage of clubs who are short of “FIRST TEAM PLAYERS”....
This has Bolton Wanderers last season written all over it where the EFL made them play games with no proper squad and all teams were wining 4 or 5 - 0 until they stopped their youngsters playing due to playing too many games. We were penalised until they got a squad together...
Every member of the public in the whole UK know the restrictions, if you break them, you risk catching COVID-1, If you contract COVID-19 you stay away and isolate for a period of time, your company and business will still operate and continue.
IF SWINDON HAVE 14 FIT PLAYERS THE EFL SHOULD MAKE THEM PLAY, THE SAME RULING SHOULD APPLY TO EVERY CLUB.......
IF NOT, SCRAP THE SEASON NOW ESPECIALLY IF FOOTBALL CLUBS ARE WAGGING THE TAIL OF THE EFL....
Chill out mate. They seem to have dealt with this by the book.

Just frustrating how we're really starting to get a fixture backlog, but realistically we should be fresher now for Charlton and need to take advantage of that.

Also frustrating from the fact I was just really looking forward to the game tomorrow.

The more clubs are allowed to simply say, “Well we can’t play and that’s that” the more other clubs will do the same every time they get a case. A lot of precedents are being set which could ultimately lead to the leagues grinding to a halt by default. Given the way Covid is going in general, if every club that discovers a case can just call their games off, because others have been allowed to do the same, that’s the end of it. Every other game will be off every week for months on end. This is what happens when nobody wants to actually take responsibility for governing.

Shoddy from the EFL. Really, really shoddy. They should’ve had these rules and protocols in place long before the season began so that they could ensure games can go ahead as safely as possible, because their clubs need to try to complete the season in the absence of any sort of financial aid. If the only option clubs have is to carry on and get the games done, because they can’t afford not to, then they need to actually help ensure that they can do as much.

If it weren’t for the fact that it’s going to be raining for a lot of tomorrow I would have had to spend the afternoon sanding and varnishing the decking, because I wouldn’t stand a chance of making excuses now that there’s no derby game in the way. This could’ve done me a lot of damage and that should be considered also.

Just frustrating how we're really starting to get a fixture backlog, but realistically we should be fresher now for Charlton and need to take advantage of that.

Also frustrating from the fact I was just really looking forward to the game tomorrow.
And this is the second time after a win, the next games called off.

The more clubs are allowed to simply say, “Well we can’t play and that’s that” the more other clubs will do the same every time they get a case. A lot of precedents are being set which could ultimately lead to the leagues grinding to a halt by default. Given the way Covid is going in general, if every club that discovers a case can just call their games off, because others have been allowed to do the same, that’s the end of it. Every other game will be off every week for months on end. This is what happens when nobody wants to actually take responsibility for governing.

Shoddy from the EFL. Really, really shoddy. They should’ve had these rules and protocols in place long before the season began so that they could ensure games can go ahead as safely as possible, because their clubs need to try to complete the season in the absence of any sort of financial aid. If the only option clubs have is to carry on and get the games done, because they can’t afford not to, then they need to actually help ensure that they can do as much.

If it weren’t for the fact that it’s going to be raining for a lot of tomorrow I would have had to spend the afternoon sanding and varnishing the decking, because I wouldn’t stand a chance of making excuses now that there’s no derby game in the way. This could’ve done me a lot of damage and that should be considered also.
It’s like kids football where a couple of the best players are on holiday so the manager cancels the game.

I don’t really understand who makes the Covid rules. Is it the EFL? Or do Health England decide if the game can be played? Seems to me that it all depends on whether the teams want the game on. Rugby seems to be able to play matches with a dozen cases around, Crewe seem to pick and choose.

I still don't think people truly understand how dangerous this view is? Without a huge cash injection from the EFL or PL, a dozen or more clubs will likely go under before the end of this season, even with games taking place. Cancel the season now, with no income, advertising contracts cancelled and possible season ticket refunds and the outcome will be horrendous.

We have to find a way to get through this season, no matter how difficult or frustrating this might be. This is one game, one game we desperately wanted to play, and one where we were expecting another big victory. But still only one game. We have another 40 to worry about and now is not the time for hysteria and panic. We simply use the time to get players fitter and stronger and go again on Tuesday.
It’s not ONE game, it’s been 3 matches already and there’s going to be more.

And we will be in the same place we were in at the end of last season at the end of this one too.

To get through this season the EFL etc need to sort this mess out with proper constructed processes/rules and testing.

The problem is there seem to be different books. There is no transparency so they may well have done things by the book but did Crewe, and was it the same book? Did Notts C, who are now out of the FA Cup?
Crewe most certainly didn’t do things by the book the first time round, it makes me laugh that Artell said they were prepared to play but ffs they hadn’t even travelled. ???

Chill out mate. They seem to have dealt with this by the book.
‘Seem to have’ being the important comment.
There has been no transparency or accountability from the EFL since the Crewe debacle and I don’t expect any following this latest one, we are none the wiser as to whether Crewe did the right thing or not and I’m not hopeful that we will be this time either.

Youd think if swindon needed to be tested after their tuesday game as players/staff werent feeling well then they all isolate until they knew what the score was,then youd get a better chance of the game being on on saturday.Like we did in the build up to the Accrington game.

Don’t be fooled. They couldn’t afford to play us on the back of their run of results and ran to PHE to save them. C***s.
Hiding behind the PHE makes a change from the Web Fingered, Sister/Mother shaggers mouthing behind the protection of the TVP. Hate them even more now, didn’t think that would ever be possible but my healthy hatred for them has been increased exponentially. F@ck Off Swind@n

Last edited:

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. We rightly criticised Crewe for wanting to play (twice) when there was concern over the squad's Covid status, and now hurl fury at Swindon for doing exactly what we asked of Crewe.
If there is some manipulation if facts hopefully the EFL will deal with it. But can you imagine if the match went ahead and someone in our squad picked up Covid from Swindon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom