Home Match Build Up 24-10-2020 L1 OUFC v Swindon Town MATCH OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very odd! How can media say the game is OFF when both clubs haven't said anything :mad:
Maybe it’s mind game’s perhaps it’s the only way they will finally beat us (haha) if our 1st team think they got a day off

The EFL had more than six months between last season stopping and the new one beginning to put even the most basic of rules in place about what constitutes a postponement due to Covid. Clear, simple rules that you can look at and say, “on” or “off” in a matter of seconds.

Half a year. HALF A YEAR.

This shouldn’t be happening. There shouldn’t be widespread uncertainty by this stage. Every club should know what to do and what the rules are, and on top of that there should be a cut off point beyond which you can’t even submit a request for a postponement - after the deadline you just have to go with what you’ve got. Call it 48 hours before kick-off, because you really should know by then if half of your squad is riddled with it. If the day before the game you find out a few have got it, tough. Either start someone else (you have more than 20 senior players alone for a reason) and get some kids from the youth team on the bench to make up numbers. All clubs should be following social distancing protocols in the week anyway. Players well spread out in dressing areas, sticking to their own cars and households, not touching each other outside of competing on the pitch (no physical ‘banter’, no high fiving and so forth). If you’re getting four, five, six cases at once then it’s because your players aren’t behaving themselves. They’re either mixing with each other or they’re mixing with whoever else they like at home.

If the season is going to continue, let alone actually complete, then it can’t continue to be a sea of shrugging shoulders. Maybe if the head of the EFL spent more time administering the league, and less time trying to do dodgy backroom deals with the big boys over a steak and a bottle of champagne, we would actually have a functioning football league.

Complete f*****g joke. Whether it’s officially called off or not isn’t even the issue at this stage, we shouldn’t be in a position where this uncertainty can even drag on.

Waiting for an EFL statement.....
"Swindon Town have informed the EFL that they cannot fulfil the fixture against Oxford United and the game has been postponed. A date for the rearranged game will be announced later"

My gut feeling is that EFL want us to play, Oxford want to play but Swindon don't because half their team is out due to injuries and Covid.

My hope is that when we replay it, we'll be in more reliable form, and the crowds will be allowed back in. A bit unlikely but hope springs eternal and all that.

"Swindon Town have informed the EFL that they cannot fulfil the fixture against Oxford United and the game has been postponed. A date for the rearranged game will be announced later"
How can we fit these games in?! How we don't have an FA Cup run!

My gut feeling is that EFL want us to play, Oxford want to play but Swindon don't because half their team is out due to injuries and Covid.
If that were the case and EFL want the game to go ahead then Swindon would be forfeiting surely?

If that were the case and EFL want the game to go ahead then Swindon would be forfeiting surely?
I honestly don't know. But like I said it's my gut feeling. I'm not ITK or anything. However it would be different to Crewe, who did want to play.

My hope is that when we replay it, we'll be in more reliable form, and the crowds will be allowed back in. A bit unlikely but hope springs eternal and all that.
I like the optimism - maybe we will beat them heavily when crowds are back!

Could this potentially just be mind games coming from the Swindon camp? I wouldn't put anything past those scummers….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom