Away Match Day Thread +++ 24/08/2019 L1: Bristol Rovers FC v OUFC +++

In hindsight, we should have started with Mackie. Taylor played a full game on Tuesday despite him only getting limited game time at Bristol City.
He may have wanted to start and he may have been too eager to put one over Rover, but it seems to me that we pushed him too early, hence the subsequent injury.
Of course it’s easy to say that now, but his withdrawal had a negative effect on the game that we never recovered from.

In hindsight, we should have started with Mackie. Taylor played a full game on Tuesday despite him only getting limited game time at Bristol City.
He may have wanted to start and he may have been too eager to put one over Rover, but it seems to me that we pushed him too early, hence the subsequent injury.
Of course it’s easy to say that now, but his withdrawal had a negative effect on the game that we never recovered from.

I think it was fairly obvious before the match that Mackie should've started. The Rovers fans (and consequently their players) were pumped up by Taylor's return. Starting Mackie would've quelled that to an extent and then Taylor could've come on when their defence was tired. Poor decision by Robinson.

I agree, but said it before the game. Would have started Mous in the middle if Gorrin wasn’t fit too.

Would have also rested Henry and started with Forde and Fosu.

On a very warm day you needed outlets who would have made them think/worry about our threats.

Very poor team selection by Karl yesterday.

Last edited:
In a game management sense I can see why he did it. Taylor gets his goal, we are winning by a couple second half and then we replace him with Mackie to shithouse out the last 25.
But it didn’t quite turnout that way!

Additionally, a lot of fans were happy/optimistic even after the defeat away to Blackpool because they could see players playing with desire/want to win, but yesterday was just damn right awful with no desire, passion or will to win which is more worrying than the result itself.

Add to that Rovers were probably the worst team so far this season.

I know it’s early days, so let’s stop the rot now.

In a game management sense I can see why he did it. Taylor gets his goal, we are winning by a couple second half and then we replace him with Mackie to shithouse out the last 25.
But it didn’t quite turnout that way!

Or let Mackie shithouse them for 65-70mins, then bring on Taylor to score the winner. It was never going to work the other way around, especially after Taylor had played a tough game on Tuesday, a crowd against him, him wanted to prove a point, adrenaline and a s**t ref etc etc.

Mackie’s not really going to come on and change a game, especially if we’re losing or if we’re in ascendancy etc, but Taylor can.

Obviously if Taylor was fully match fit and had had game time then yes, but this wasn’t the case.

Anyway, what’s done is done, so let’s just hope Taylor’s injury isn’t too serious.

Worried about the composition of the squad , We are extremely small and will be venerable to set piece headers , Woodburn while a good signing replaces Henry/Sykes as a no 10 while we are crying out for pace wide and a target man /hold up striker. Lack of experience throughout the side also a negative.Thorne I'm not sure as already have lots of midfielders . Also a shame that youth not getting the odd 20 mins as couldn't be doing any worse. We will settle down but its unbalanced and thats a worry .

Missed yesterday as I was at that there Reading Festival, but I listened back to the post match this morning as well as reading a lot of comments on here and it sounds as though we’re going to have to toughen up and get better at managing games regularly. That’s twice in four days we’ve gone ahead in a match and then conceded three goals - that’s a total collapse which points to naivety and fragility. Which is strange because I thought we looked quite grown up and compact at Sunderland, where we should’ve won were it not for a shambolic referee, dug in to see out the P’boro game, and then at Blackpool we were sensational and should’ve scored five or six.

The next couple of games suddenly look quite important, because three defeats on the spin is never good let alone more, and a very poor points return from the first 10 or so games last season totally wrote it off and left us chasing survival for nearly the entire campaign. For far too long last season we entered into a situation where we had to score two goals just to stand a chance of getting a point, and we’ve slipped back into that over the last eight days. We need to make sure that doesn’t creep back in and become the norm.

It’s been a bad enough last week to raise an eyebrow, but it’s still too early to panic too much.

Additionally, a lot of fans were happy/optimistic even after the defeat away to Blackpool because they could see players playing with desire/want to win, but yesterday was just damn right awful with no desire, passion or will to win which is more worrying than the result itself.

Add to that Rovers were probably the worst team so far this season.

I know it’s early days, so let’s stop the rot now.
“No desire, passion or will to win”?!?! Absolute tosh. You either weren’t there or were busy reading your programme. It was hot enough just standing watching; running around must have been draining. Tell Cam he didn’t have any desire. Who wasn’t trying then? Who didn’t care about winning?!

Are you seriously suggesting getting rid of KR already ?

Granted we were poor for the last hour and 3 losses in a row ain't clever but we are only 5 games in
No im not, as that would be ludicrous. What i am suggesting is that over last season and this, his record is not too clever, for all that he cares, and he needs to improve.

I agree but many on here seem to think he's all that so he's a kind of sacred cow.
He is , and has been a great no 10 but shouldn't be playing anywhere else as lack of pace an issue. When Woodburn came that should have seen him on the bench if not picked . Harsh but need players who play in position rather than cramming in anywhere.

“No desire, passion or will to win”?!?! Absolute tosh. You either weren’t there or were busy reading your programme. It was hot enough just standing watching; running around must have been draining. Tell Cam he didn’t have any desire. Who wasn’t trying then? Who didn’t care about winning?!

I was there. The team as a whole didn’t have the desire/passion.

The heat was the same for both teams. If we had the desire/performance we had against Peterborough first half in league we would have walked that game yesterday.

How was the Swindon game at home yesterday.

I was there. The team as a whole didn’t have the desire/passion.

The heat was the same for both teams. If we had the desire/performance we had against Peterborough first half in league we would have walked that game yesterday.

How was the Swindon game at home yesterday.
2-2 apparently. If you can read it’s in the papers.

Geeez this place is like some over emotional contestant on the Bachelor. Pendulum extremes of “we are world beaters and our soccer-cock is enormous” after one win (Scotchegg) to “the forces of kassamageddon are here to end our season” (Bazzer) after a defeat.

Let’s give it ten games before we start assessing our chances and fortunes too much.

Wasn’t at the game so this may be totally off base, but surprised more hasn’t been attributed to the lack of Gorrin in the team? It sounds like he’s been a key part of our team this year, not least in terms of releasing CB forward, so perhaps what has been described as a poor performance from him can be linked to Gorrin’s absence?

Sounds a disappointing performance and without doubt a disappointing result, but I’d like to ask the KR OUT contingent (not necessarily just on here, but also the Facebook group) where they were 9 days ago. If you’re shouting for KR to get the sack after we’ve won two and drawn away at Sunderland from our first three games then, weird, but fair, I’ve got respect for you if you then repeat that view after a couple of bad performances. I just don’t remember reading any comments of that view before the Blackpool game. It smacks of the most unhelpful kind of short term, knee jerk reactionism.

Looking forward to Millwall on Tuesday. Would be great if we could nick a result.

Back
Top Bottom