Away Match Day Thread +++ 24/08/2019 L1: Bristol Rovers FC v OUFC +++

He is , and has been a great no 10 but shouldn't be playing anywhere else as lack of pace an issue. When Woodburn came that should have seen him on the bench if not picked . Harsh but need players who play in position rather than cramming in anywhere.
Maybe Woodburn needs to play somewhere else? I’ve only seen a couple of games but while he’s obviously got a classy touch I’m not quite sure what he’s offering the team at the moment

Difficult as it is, I think we have to wait for the first ten league games to make a judgement on how Robinson is doing with this squad (which is about the end of September). It's certainly a curate's egg at the moment.

Unfortunately, this stuttering start is (IMO) at least partly due to signing players so late (or unfit) that they have had little or no time actually playing with their team mates. That's what I though PSFs were for? Whether that is the fault of the manager or the recruitment team or circumstances who knows.

Yes, but some of the many many midfielders are attacking midfielders so that means we don't have to have as many strikers. Possibly.

I know all about football, me.

Yes, but some of the many many midfielders are attacking midfielders so that means we don't have to have as many strikers. Possibly.

I know all about football, me.

Well, a striker after the Blackpool game seemed to be imperative by all accounts or that’s what Karl said or words to that effect.

KR wants 'scruffy' goals ....( OM online) .... me, Id like more goals scored by OUFC, scruffy or otherwise, goals help to win games....

And there was me thinking along the lines of shooting and hopefully scoring from 20/30 yards, shot I will take anything as long as they go in

Could this be an option to try:

Eastwood
Dickie Moore Mous
Cadden Brannagan Gorrin Ruffels
Henry Fosu
Taylor​

We do seem to be lacking pace in key areas, and unless there's a surprise signing or two before the end of the transfer window to address that issue, then we are going to be lacking pace in those key areas until at least January, but we've still got talented players who, if they're played in the right positions, can help us deal with that lack of pace, and still have success.

As much as I like Henry, and think he's integral to all the good football we play, I do think he needs to play more centrally, as when he's out wide, his lack of pace is very obvious, but if he was played in the hole, behind the striker, he could be a very useful link up player, making key contributions to all our approach play, scoring and providing assists.

The three at the back with Gorrin playing the holding midfield role, and Cadden and Ruffs providing cover out wide, could help plug the gaps that have started appearing, and costing us goals, and we know Cadden and Ruffels both have the engines to get up and down the pitch out wide, to provide the support in attack with link up play and crossing, whilst still tracking back to provide cover out wide, whist Gorrin will provide the cover needed for Brannagan to play with more freedom, and get forward more.

Fosu seems to prefer coming inside, rather than hugging the touchline and getting to the byline and putting crosses in, and doesn't seem blessed with blistering pace either, so maybe playing him and Henry behind Taylor, will enable them to get closer to him, and play in a triangle, linking up in the final third, with Brannagan supporting, while Henry and Fosu can still drift slightly wider, but more on the inside of the supporting full backs.

I realise that with this formation, we're relying heavily on our fullbacks to provide the width and the crosses, but without having the pace out wide anyway from our attacking players, maybe we should play to their strengths, and play through the middle more, which will hopefully allow more space out wide for the full backs, which in turn, could drag opposition defenders and midfielders out wide, and then open things up in the middle.

I'm not saying it would definitely work, I'm no expert, and I'm in no way panicking over the last few results, and I trust Robbo and boys to turn this blip around and go on to have an exciting season, but this was just a thought that came to me, as a possible solution to the lack of pace, and the recent defensive frailties, which do seem to be becoming a bit of an issue.

Of course, once Baptiste, Agyei and Thorne are available, and with Woodburn and Forde also excellent options, then making decisions for lineups and formations becomes a much more difficult, but exciting headache for Robbo to have, which leaves me still feeling very optimistic for the season ahead.

I think Steve Kinniburgh said it best in the commentary on Saturday - in general, Oxford have been playing pretty good stuff this season between the penalty boxes; but they've not been playing well enough in either one. For all their possession, they've not been creating or taking enough chances - meanwhile our opponents have been scoring an extremely high proportion of their chances, because we've not been making it difficult for them.

A fully fit Matt Taylor should help the former, as should a fully fit Baptiste, Agyei & Thorne.

The latter is more worrying for me, though, because we don't have a ton of defenders in our squad. Six senior players, really, amongst whom Moushinho we all think is probably better suited for DM at this point in his career, Moore is still getting used to the pace and physicality of the lower league English game, and Cadden - for all his rampaging forward runs - has not looked much of a defender so far.

[as an aside, I though Kinniburgh was excellent. About 1000 times more competent than Nick Harris - and whilst I know that Harris is a beloved mainstay of the OUFC family.....I still wouldn't object if the Scotsman was doing a few more games this season...…]

I think Steve Kinniburgh said it best in the commentary on Saturday - in general, Oxford have been playing pretty good stuff this season between the penalty boxes; but they've not been playing well enough in either one. For all their possession, they've not been creating or taking enough chances - meanwhile our opponents have been scoring an extremely high proportion of their chances, because we've not been making it difficult for them.

A fully fit Matt Taylor should help the former, as should a fully fit Baptiste, Agyei & Thorne.

The latter is more worrying for me, though, because we don't have a ton of defenders in our squad. Six senior players, really, amongst whom Moushinho we all think is probably better suited for DM at this point in his career, Moore is still getting used to the pace and physicality of the lower league English game, and Cadden - for all his rampaging forward runs - has not looked much of a defender so far.

[as an aside, I though Kinniburgh was excellent. About 1000 times more competent than Nick Harris - and whilst I know that Harris is a beloved mainstay of the OUFC family.....I still wouldn't object if the Scotsman was doing a few more games this season...…]

God, listening to him after the game I wouldn’t want him as a manager.

Could tell he was a defender e.g. get s goal and hang onto it, plus playing the Stevenage way of a player pretending to have an injury so others can get drinks etc, and break up the game

I agree with breaking up the play if you’re under the cosh, but not when you’re in ascendency etc.

How does a team go from playing so well against Sunderland, Blackpool and Peterborough to the dross against Burton and Bristol?
Burton outclassed us in midfield, fair play can’t win them all but Bristol were nothing special.
Moore was at fault for all three goals, okay first one was a bit unlucky and a great strike but he doesn’t get enough on the initial header away.
Then he’s weak in the challenge for the second and gets his feet all wrong for the third, although it was good football by Bristol.

Where has the hardworking team gone that was getting back behind the ball and making us solid?
Then building well from midfield and creating chances?

Back
Top Bottom