Home Match Day Thread +++ 23/12/2017 OUFC v Wigan Athletic match day thread +++

mcf86

Looking forward to this one, and hoping for a good match and result! Going with my son and three grand children as Christmas is one of the rare times we are able- it's a special occasion.

They have to be firm favourites, but, if we are on form then we have a good chance of taking the points. A few players returning from injury so hopefully the competition will help motivate one or two!

Large.jpg

Well, Mrs Lounger has predicted 3 - 1 to us. If the boys are on form and play as a team then we should do it. Will be interesting to see how Wigan line up against us. Will they try to stifle the midfield? Will we have options to change? Will there be honey for tea?

Ahh the christmas period, this is the toughest time of the year. Wigan at home, top of the league. Pep needs to be bold and roll on the changes for this game.

Line up for me he has to go back to the basics 442(we know he wont). We know Dunkley struggles under pressure, so two up top and get the strikers to hassle them.

Eastwood
Tiendalli Williamson Mousinho Ricardinho
Henry Rothwell Ledson Van Kessel
Obika Thomas

This is a lot of changes but it is a busy period and maybe dropping Payne could work well, because i bet that Wigan have been looking at how to beat us and how Payne is our biggest threat and how to stop him, so they would be expecting him to play. Change the midfield duo to Rothwell and Ledson for somebody who can bring the ball out of midfield and do what Payne does.

ONE thing i hope not to see is, bringing 10 men in the box for a corner to defend, Because whenever we do manage to deal with the threat it is a hoof up field to nobody from the corner and the wave of attacks start again or Eastwood gathers and rolls it out and means we have to build from the back against the league leaders. PEP needs to leave 1 or 2 up (which forces them to keep men back) so we can counter quickly.

Final Score-1-0 Tight game and i have a good feeling we will play out of our skin and Wigan are due a slip up.
Henry Goalscorer
ATT-8550

Eastwood
Tiendelli Williamson Mous Ricardinho
Ruffels Ledson
Henry Payne Rothwell
Thomas

2-1, Thomas with two, one early in each half, before they get a consolation late on. I would be tempted to play Carroll over Ruffels for a little more "bite" in midfield but think that would be unlikely. I'll be seeing a lot of a Wigan supporting friend over Xmas so defeat is unacceptable

This has got 2-1 written all over it..................not the result, but this sentence. I reckon we'll scrape a draw against Wig on. 1-1, with Ledson back-heeling a cracker in. Att: 8001 with 333 Wig on fans. I genuinely can see a dog running onto the pitch.

I'm sorry but we will lose this one 0-2. Don't think Dunkley will score but we will be out of our depth here

2-2 draw with a “pier” of coals from Dunkley and Payne
Attendance 8019 , 523 meat and potato pies make the away trip.

Ahh the christmas period, this is the toughest time of the year. Wigan at home, top of the league. Pep needs to be bold and roll on the changes for this game.

Line up for me he has to go back to the basics 442(we know he wont). We know Dunkley struggles under pressure, so two up top and get the strikers to hassle them.

Eastwood
Obika Thomas

This is a lot of changes but it is a busy period and maybe dropping Payne could work well, because i bet that Wigan have been looking at how to beat us and how Payne is our biggest threat and how to stop him, so they would be expecting him to play. Change the midfield duo to Rothwell and Ledson for somebody who can bring the ball out of midfield and do what Payne does.

ONE thing i hope not to see is, bringing 10 men in the box for a corner to defend, Because whenever we do manage to deal with the threat it is a hoof up field to nobody from the corner and the wave of attacks start again or Eastwood gathers and rolls it out and means we have to build from the back against the league leaders. PEP needs to leave 1 or 2 up (which forces them to keep men back) so we can counter quickly.

Final Score-1-0 Tight game and i have a good feeling we will play out of our skin and Wigan are due a slip up.
Henry Goalscorer
ATT-8550
Not sure dropping your best player is the way forward !

Stats Oxford 41% Tics 59% possession (Cook loves to Dominate but wont get it his own way this time) it can go either way this one but if Wigan turn up it could be 0-3 easily but I'd go for 1-1 (Dunks header for the Tics).

Eastwood
Obika Thomas

Henry Goalscorer
ATT-8550
Really hope Pep doesn't listen to supporters and picks his own team ...

Really hope Pep doesn't listen to supporters and picks his own team ...
Why would he? that's what i would do and this is why i'm not a football coach but, No doubt you'll be on here at 5.15 tomorrow though winging about how it's the same old crap and we only play one style of football,but hey that's none of my business.

This is what i would do,As i clearly say i don't expect it to happen.

{If you don't like what i've said then atleast say what's wrong with it or don't bother saying anything}

Last edited:
This has got 2-1 written all over it..................not the result, but this sentence. I reckon we'll scrape a draw against Wig on. 1-1, with Ledson back-heeling a cracker in. Att: 8001 with 333 Wig on fans. I genuinely can see a dog running onto the pitch.

‘Wig on’ made me laugh out loud (I have had a few mind )

Let's face it no 1 in the football world is expecting us to win today,apart from oufc fans ....i hope we go at them from the first whistle don't let them settle,and just go for it,play with no fear.....we need to start much better than we did against Blackburn at home

Will be lucky not to lose by 2 or more today. There is a significant gap in quality between Wigan and ourselves, but we wouldn’t bother going if we didn’t live in hope that maybe just maybe today is our day.

It's Christmas, a time for miracles. Clean sheet and Thomas hat-trick...

On form not a chance for us. Anything less than a 3-0 defeat would be a moral victory.

But..........................

Think we’ll lose this one and don’t really mind. Our season won’t be defined by how we do against the runaway leaders. They’re a class above and there’s no shame in that.

Back
Top Bottom