Home Match Build Up 23/11/2021 L1: OUFC v Fleetwood Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seddon's on 4 yellows, given how the last few days have gone, he'll probably get booked and then be suspended for Rotherham!

Some Wigan fans chatting absolute cr*p on twitter :D

Agyei won't start. Whyte will play as a striker. Hanson on the bench with a cameo to increase the chances of attracting interest.

Fair play to the club for getting this on. Win or lose, we need to back the boys in these next few fixtures, because we are right up against it. The one big issue with the starting 11 is at RB, with Long needed in CB, Williams injured and Hanson seemingly not trusted. Either a fantastic chance for a youth player to get into the spotlight, or a chance for Hanson to shut up the doubters. Either way, whoever it is, back the hell out of them. The other problem position is Striker, although it seems likely Whyte will start down the middle which doesn't seem too bad. O'Donkor off the bench to try make a difference wouldn't be a bad shout at all either.

Some Wigan fans chatting absolute cr*p on twitter :D

We really have triggered some of them. They’re getting like Ipswich who are still smarting at 5 minutes of us ensuring we got a draw.

Look, Wigan, we tried to get the game on but you can’t play without a β€˜keeper. Get over it. We’ll play you again soon.

In short, yes. If they had 7 players out I think there would be a lot of people on here expecting the game to be on (assuming they had a keeper and could field a first team pro in every position - as will, I expect, be the case with us tomorrow night).

I’m not saying it doesn’t suck. I’m not saying it’s fair. But we do still live in remarkable times and Covid will continue to have a significant influence on football, certainly throughout the winter. In these extraordinary times I think if there’s a possibility of playing the game competitively (which assuming we have a keeper and don’t lose any more defenders there clearly is) then it should be played and we have a responsibility/obligation to fulfil our fixture. And I strongly suspect we would expect other clubs to do the exact same thing in the same position…

Comparing the international break to unpredictable situations thrown up at short/no notice by Covid just isn’t a fair comparison. (And FWIW I don’t agree with teams at our level being able to pull out of international fixtures for losing just three players right now - when there remains such a high probability of games being called off/moved around at little notice - either!)
I don’t know of any other team/club who have had 7+ players out with covid who have gone on to play their games.

And without our leading striker!

• React
Reactions: Ian
Recall Cooper scoring 2 goals for the u21s last season.
From what I remember of the highlights, both came from a deeper position on the right side.

I have to agree with uptheus on this , we are out of all cups so why rush it . We could easily play this in the new year even with bad weather. Fantastic if we win but now we are playing this we will expected to play the weekend to . Why not just wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom