Home Match Build Up 23/11/2021 L1: OUFC v Fleetwood Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping that some of the players may have been false positives on Saturday, but assuming that's not the case!

What, if Fleetwood had 7 key players out we’d exit t them to play? You’re having a laugh aren’t you!

Games get postponed if 3 players are out on international games, so times that by 2 and a bit, plus having no recognised keeper!

In short, yes. If they had 7 players out I think there would be a lot of people on here expecting the game to be on (assuming they had a keeper and could field a first team pro in every position - as will, I expect, be the case with us tomorrow night).

I’m not saying it doesn’t suck. I’m not saying it’s fair. But we do still live in remarkable times and Covid will continue to have a significant influence on football, certainly throughout the winter. In these extraordinary times I think if there’s a possibility of playing the game competitively (which assuming we have a keeper and don’t lose any more defenders there clearly is) then it should be played and we have a responsibility/obligation to fulfil our fixture. And I strongly suspect we would expect other clubs to do the exact same thing in the same position…

Comparing the international break to unpredictable situations thrown up at short/no notice by Covid just isn’t a fair comparison. (And FWIW I don’t agree with teams at our level being able to pull out of international fixtures for losing just three players right now - when there remains such a high probability of games being called off/moved around at little notice - either!)

In short, yes. If they had 7 players out I think there would be a lot of people on here expecting the game to be on (assuming they had a keeper and could field a first team pro in every position - as will, I expect, be the case with us tomorrow night).

I’m not saying it doesn’t suck. I’m not saying it’s fair. But we do still live in remarkable times and Covid will continue to have a significant influence on football, certainly throughout the winter. In these extraordinary times I think if there’s a possibility of playing the game competitively (which assuming we have a keeper and don’t lose any more defenders there clearly is) then it should be played and we have a responsibility/obligation to fulfil our fixture. And I strongly suspect we would expect other clubs to do the exact same thing in the same position…

Comparing the international break to unpredictable situations thrown up at short/no notice by Covid just isn’t a fair comparison. (And FWIW I don’t agree with teams at our level being able to pull out of international fixtures for losing just three players right now - when there remains such a high probability of games being called off/moved around at little notice - either!)
Agree with this but it shows that teams calling off fixtures for the International break is a mockery
One week a team could have the whole squad fit but lose 3 players on International duty,game postponed yet a few weeks later could have 7/8 out due to injury/COVID and the game goes on
Baffling

I'm glad the club want to play. I really think this could make for a great atmosphere as our fans will know we're up against it with a makeshift defence and an inexperienced keeper, and will get right behind the team.

Up the yellows.

Great to see us playing this, great resilience! 💪👊

Can't understand those fans calling for tomorrow to be called off. Yes, it'll difficult but such is life and league one! Great to see the club cracking on with things regardless and I'll be so proud if we win tomorrow night. It'll be one of those moments talked about in years to come "remember when we had 7 test positive for Covid, no goalkeepers, hardly any defenders and still win?!"

Wouldn't miss tomorrow night for the world. What was an unglamorous, cold, Tuesday night game against Fleetwood is now very interesting with our backs to the walls and a bit of fight and resolve needed.

Perhaps those lacking resolve when things are tough should stay away tomorrow?

Agree with this but it shows that teams calling off fixtures for the International break is a mockery
One week a team could have the whole squad fit but lose 3 players on International duty,game postponed yet a few weeks later could have 7/8 out due to injury/COVID and the game goes on
Baffling

Not saying it's right, but without the ability to postpone games club managers simply wouldn't release players for international duty.

Not saying it's right, but without the ability to postpone games club managers simply wouldn't release players for international duty.

They don’t really have a choice, if you didn’t release them they wouldn’t be able to play in the games that happen over the international breaks anyway.

False positives are unlikely. The probability of several false positives among the 7 are literally 10s of thousands to one.
Very true. LFTs much more likely to give a false negative than the opposite. However, most school kids can tell you how to get a LFT to show up as positive if they've forgotten to do their homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom