Away Match Day Thread 23/10/2021 L1: Burton Albion v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most enjoyable day.
Easy drive over and home in an hour.
Made most welcome by my BA supporting friend - might not invite me over again. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
We certainly looked good, one thing I did notice is that the game is much quicker viewing from the side as opposed to behind the goal.
Best performance I`ve seen for a good while aided slightly by BA giving us space in the right places.
Home in time for a SSS and out to Comedy Club.

Lovely weekend. (y)

Well the change in weather has definitely caught me out. I'm sure it was much warmer when I took the dog out for a walk this morning.

1-3 Oxford with a Cam brace

Most enjoyable day.
Made most welcome by my BA supporting friend - might not invite me over again. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
We certainly looked good, one thing I did notice is that the game is much quicker viewing from the side as opposed to behind the goal.
Best performance I`ve seen for a good while aided slightly by BA giving us space in the right places.

Lovely weekend. (y)
Most enjoyable day.

Lovely weekend. (y)
It was a superb performance and our football at times was scintillating.

Before the game I was really surprised to hear they stayed over and used the facilities at St Georges Park the day before. Let's be honest it's a quite a short journey and many clubs would have travelled on the day. This careful planning and the benefits of using those facilities at SGP before were all to see yesterday. (team looked very fresh and focused on the day)

The only negatives for me were our threat from corners (we've got to address it), needing to be more ruthless in the attacking 3rd and that road diversion on our way home!

P. S Glad that gent is OK!!

Last edited:
It's also quite early in the season for so many clubs to be divided by that many points. The fact we're in amongst it, is a good sign.

I suspect this season will have bigger points differences between those in the promotion race, the middle of the league and the relegation battle.
Not so sure as we’re not even nearing a stage where everybody has played each other once. Until that point, fixture lists have a huge influence as some teams may have played more teams at the top than the bottom. The impact of fixture lists gets thinner with time - as does the availability of points! Far too many unknowns yet with January also to come. I think end of Jan is where you really know what trajectory you’re on. Even then, if it’s within 5 points it’s 2 or 3 games.

I like where we are because the pressure of leading is tough to cope with but we’re in that chasing pack and we’ve proved last season we are very capable of putting a run together. It’s a good challenge but we are not in that clutch of teams that should be going up or need to go up. We are a challenger in this division but no more - let the favourites take the pressure and see if we can burst their bubble.

I was stood right by him when he fell ill. It was awful to see him look so poorly. By the time I returned before the second-half kicked-off, he was back in his feet and walking away with the medical team. I was amazed and delighted to see him return towards the end of the match!
He was a couple of steps almost directly behind us and as soon as it was obvious he was in trouble the stewards were summoned and credit to them for the speed they arrived and the speed of the medics. All credit to them for managing it well

He was a couple of steps almost directly behind us and as soon as it was obvious he was in trouble the stewards were summoned and credit to them for the speed they arrived and the speed of the medics. All credit to them for managing it well
And the Burton stewards haven’t always been that good, but yes credit to them and thank you to them.

Not so sure as we’re not even nearing a stage where everybody has played each other once. Until that point, fixture lists have a huge influence as some teams may have played more teams at the top than the bottom. The impact of fixture lists gets thinner with time - as does the availability of points! Far too many unknowns yet with January also to come. I think end of Jan is where you really know what trajectory you’re on. Even then, if it’s within 5 points it’s 2 or 3 games.

I like where we are because the pressure of leading is tough to cope with but we’re in that chasing pack and we’ve proved last season we are very capable of putting a run together. It’s a good challenge but we are not in that clutch of teams that should be going up or need to go up. We are a challenger in this division but no more - let the favourites take the pressure and see if we can burst their bubble.
The other thing to throw in there is when you play certain teams
For example Ipswich, Charlton and Pompey have had shocking starts by their standards
We have yet to play two of them and I believe they will get better. Charlton actually won at Sunderland so maybe they’ve turned it round.Ipswich are now winning
Every club has a wobble and if you play them when they’re going through the rough patch you benefit

These stats have been coming around for a while now, yet I still have the feeling that we struggle to score on occasions! We still seem very 'feast or famine' when it comes to goalscoring.
I agree. I’d rather we won every game 1-0 instead of winning 1 in 3, 4-0 haha. However, as surface value statistics go, that’s still quite promising! I think this team is finding its feet now, so I expect more goals on Saturday!

0-0 bore draw en route 😅

It’s one of those isn’t it - I’m sure some fan bases would give their right arm for a big win once in a while where as we would like a few more gritty wins here and there to show we have the mettle needed.

We seem to batter someone fairly regularly and the sad fact is it’s still only 3 points when you do it! A Gareth Ainsworth win is worth as much as a KR win. But as a fan where it’s my spare time and money I’m spending on a Saturday, what would I rather turn up knowing I might get to watch if all goes well? The most we can hope for is a lot better than the majority at this level and I’m a firm believer that yes, it’s a results business, but more importantly there are right ways to win and right ways to lose. that’s why I’m an advocate of the KR approach (or similar). We have bad days but imagine getting beaten playing for a 0-0. Sat back taking no initiative… I’d find that a much harder watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom