Away Match Day Thread +++ 23/10/18 Charlton Athletic v OUFC +++

Pretty much agree with the shrewd comments from others who attended last night. For a team who scored ten goals in their last two games, Charlton surprisingly didn't look that threatening even though their pacy forwards went easily past our full backs on a few occasions. One of the runs won their penalty. Before that, it was quite a boring match with neither side creating much. Up to our equaliser (what a cracker!), they were well on top. But then they faded and we could even have won it in the end. Bringing on Whyte was the turning point. Believe that was our first point gained from a losing position.

I agree with yellowbow re Mous. I also think having Eastwood back is a big reason for our improvement. Having no effective backup for Eastwood (why have we got Shearer), and lack of options for holding midfielder at the start of this season is the main reason we are where we are in the table. That said I am not sure even if we started with these problems solved we would have been any higher than mid table. Our striking options are a joke.

This squad needs another left back, a better reserve keeper (or faith in our young keepers), maybe another midfield option (Carruthers?), and at least 2 decent strikers. This shopping list is unlikely to be filled in Jan.

That said if we can find a few more goals ther is no reason we cannot be safe in mid table.

In terms of forwards, hopefully we can stumble over another Roofe.

The key, for me, to our potential revival is Mous playing at the base of the midfield. I’d worry if he got injured and can only hope that Hanson would be a decent replacement in there. As others have said, we can’t ignore the mess that was made in squad building in the summer, however there’s nothing to be gained from finger pointing now. We have to hope that lessons have been learned for January and in the meantime hope that, as confidence increases, the squad has enough about it to keep collecting points. A win on Saturday is essential, not only because of the anniversary celebrations and big crowd, but also to build on these solid away draws, otherwise they’ll count for nothing.

On the point of the 125th game, it’ll be a great time to announce that Thohir is on board. Things seem to have gone a little quiet on that front.
Looking back, we should have used the Carruthers money on a striker. We have plenty of options in his position and hopefully he'll go back at Christmas to let us sign a good forward instead. Holmes, however, must stay.

Looking back, we should have used the Carruthers money on a striker. We have plenty of options in his position and hopefully he'll go back at Christmas to let us sign a good forward instead. Holmes, however, must stay.

There is no way I'd get rid of Carruthers. He isn't fully fit yet. Look at the difference between a unfit Mackie and a fit Mackie. Carruthers shouldn't be judged until he is up to speed.

If any player is likely to leave in the new year it will be Henry.

There is no way I'd get rid of Carruthers. He isn't fully fit yet. Look at the difference between a unfit Mackie and a fit Mackie. Carruthers shouldn't be judged until he is up to speed.

I have no idea if he's any good. But we have other players in that role and he's only on loan, so not much use to us longer term.

Just how long does it take to get up to speed? Its a recurring theme. Quite frankly, I am sick of hearing it.

Mackie (well I think it was him) was a tad antsy with one of their defenders after we scored!

Ha - good!

That save from the Hanson deflected shot at the end is the definition of a routine stop. Not sure why the BBC was suggested it was some kind of last-minute wonder save!

Mackie (well I think it was him) was a tad antsy with one of their defenders after we scored!

In the build up Mackie was wrestling with Pearce(?) and all through the match. Mackie was in a good battle, although by the time we scored he was essentially being fouled at most opportunities. Im pretty happy to see that from Mackie tbh

Just how long does it take to get up to speed? Its a recurring theme. Quite frankly, I am sick of hearing it.
It depends on the injury I suspect.
He was injured in the first day of the season. He has played virtually no games.
Surely it isn't too difficult to realise that it will take a little time to get match fit?

Back
Top Bottom