Away Match Day Thread +++ 23/03/2019 Coventry City v OUFC +++

It's our nearest ground so it is a Derby. Get over it
A Derby is a match between rivals, not just close teams. There is historical rivalry between us and Reading and Swindon. If we played Thame United in the FA Cup it wouldn't be considered a Derby as the rivalry isn't there. Much the same as playing Wycombe.

Excellent result. Great support.

Shocking start to the season. What was it, 6 points from the first 12 games and bottom of the table? For whatever reason we were way off the pace for the first quarter of the season, since the beginning of the new year we must be close to playoff form in terms of results. Frustrating!

Still we are where we are now and just have to make sure we are in this league next season. Just hope the management have learnt from their preseason recruitment mistakes.

5 points from the first 11 games. 41 points from the last 28 games at 1.5 points a game. If we had maintained that form all season we would be in 6th!! So whilst it hasn't been a season to remember it does show that we are not a million miles away from being a team that could challenge in this league.

Next season we are likely to see 3 out of Barnsley, Luton, Sunderland and Portsmouth go up, with 3 from Ipswich, Bolton, Rotherham, Reading or Millwall replacing them. Coming up from league 2 will be 4 from Lincoln, Bury, MK Dons, Mansfield, Tranmere, Forest Green or Exeter. So the league is likely to be weaker rather than stronger. A better start, more consistency and a better balanced squad could see us in a much stronger position this time next year.

Watching these it was interesting to see how fine margins/luck can tilt a game....
On another day, Nelson could have seen red for a pull-back in the first clip, second could have seen a free-kick in the D for a player being wiped out, the third could have seen our player off for a two footed move in winning the ball, not to mention them hitting the post and the ball not rebounding into the net off Eastie's face, twice the ball rebounding into the 6 yard box without a Cov player able to reach it, even the goal could have been ruled out for kicking the ball out of the keepers hands.

Not saying that any of these should have been give, but given the standard of officiating in this League, any one of them COULD have been, which could have turned the game on its head (as of course could 'the incident' last week), but they didnt, we rode our luck and appear to be stout in defence so got what we deserved.....
True but the same thing has happened the other way round many times this season.
The old adage that over a season it more or less evens itself out is probably about right.
Being there it seemed a pretty even game where we took one of our chances and they didn't

Great result today of course. Thought we held on well and agree that the game probably wasn't as tense as I imagine RadOx would have made it.

Definitely some performances of note, Long was great again, Kashi was great again, Easty continues to be probably the best keeper in our league.

I thought the best player on the pitch was there CM with the green boots (loanee from Wolves). A real presence and Kashi did well to just disrupt him.

Few disappointing performances and, whilst I know he was doing a specific job, watching Luke Garbutt today was hugely frustrating. He was pedestrian at times, refusing to cross the half way line. In the end it justified the means and the result almost vindicates his role to sit and seemingly just be in the way of Ruffels. But christ... Give me Gav Whyte any day of the year. To be fair to him he had moments, but I struggle to work out what he is particularly good at. Close control maybe? Dribbling on a rare occasion?

Browne has definitely gone off the boil since his return from injury. He was up against a wily pro today in their skipper, but I don't recall an occasion in the past two games he has featured where he has made the most of his pace.

I thought the rest worked hard for the points and Henry coming into the game later was a good shout too as his later pressing helped to see us over the line.

After two 1-0s I'd like us to do a job on Wycombe next week to really get us over the line... We shall see.
I thought that Garbutt was poor in the first half but very good in the second.
A little unlucky to not finish the game off with a good header near the end.
Seemed to have a good engine. Defended with Ruffels in the second half and got forward as well.

Careful. Oxford fans have never seen this game as a derby, Wycombe might, that's up to them. Our derby is Swindon. You'll soon learn that after few more years supporting the mighty Yellows.
Well my teacher said a derby was a team close. But i'll learn in time

5 points from the first 11 games. 41 points from the last 28 games at 1.5 points a game. If we had maintained that form all season we would be in 6th!! So whilst it hasn't been a season to remember it does show that we are not a million miles away from being a team that could challenge in this league.

Next season we are likely to see 3 out of Barnsley, Luton, Sunderland and Portsmouth go up, with 3 from Ipswich, Bolton, Rotherham, Reading or Millwall replacing them. Coming up from league 2 will be 4 from Lincoln, Bury, MK Dons, Mansfield, Tranmere, Forest Green or Exeter. So the league is likely to be weaker rather than stronger. A better start, more consistency and a better balanced squad could see us in a much stronger position this time next year.

Birmingham City are likely to join the Championship relegation battle as well with their points deduction (assuming it is confirmed).

Thought it was a good performance actually, Robbo , against one of the most technically adept sides I’ve seen all season. We were dogs of war and emperors of shithousery and fully deserved the win.

Man of the match Kashi. Did not put a foot wrong. Sign him up for next season .

Long had his best game for the club today. Much improved.

Amazing away support behind the goal, couple of thousand maybe?

What a fine ground as well , a terrible shame that it’s going to be lost to football next season. Surely there’s a deal to be done?

Let’s destroy Wycombe next week. Looking forward to it already.
TBF Long has been pretty solid in all of the games I have seen him play in since he came in.
He is getting better as he plays more games I guess

Just back, had beers, then Chinese so now sat down, excellent performance and every player was man of the match. Even got to talk to Selfie on the radio at half time.

Onwards and upwards.

You did indeed
Wise words Big Alan!

Garbutts messiesque run was amazing. If only he could shoot with his right foot. The only player who i thought was a little off today was graham.

I admire your optimism!

Back
Top Bottom