Away Match Day Thread +++ 23/02/2019 Blackpool v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Let’s agree to disagree. The difference is I’m not judging the game on goals. My opinion is they pinned us in our own half for most of the game and attacked at will. No they weren’t able to convert their chances... luckily for us. It was nowhere near as bad as Pompey or Barnsley defeats. But then neither was the Accrington game but they still managed to score 4.
My main point was and not really just limited just to the Blackpool game. They were allowed to put so many crosses into our box. Just like Accy were and on another day they could have converted 3 or 4 (or from the resulting second ball). As someone else said it was something like 24 crosses our defence had to deal with. We need to start stopping the cross!

Sleep with enough women and eventually you’ll pick up an STD. Stop sleeping with them and you have no chance of getting one ;)

Okay bad analogy
Bad analogy but good point. ?

Let’s agree to disagree. The difference is I’m not judging the game on goals. My opinion is they pinned us in our own half for most of the game and attacked at will. No they weren’t able to convert their chances... luckily for us. It was nowhere near as bad as Pompey or Barnsley defeats. But then neither was the Accrington game but they still managed to score 4.
My main point was and not really just limited just to the Blackpool game. They were allowed to put so many crosses into our box. Just like Accy were and on another day they could have converted 3 or 4 (or from the resulting second ball). As someone else said it was something like 24 crosses our defence had to deal with. We need to start stopping the cross!

Sleep with enough women and eventually you’ll pick up an STD. Stop sleeping with them and you have no chance of getting one ;)

Okay bad analogy

Not according to the BBC stats dont know what game you were watching.

Attachments

• 44395586-F408-4F15-9877-1F48722B3C73.jpeg
    44395586-F408-4F15-9877-1F48722B3C73.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 13
Not according to the BBC stats dont know what game you were watching.

Just watch the first half mate. Or don’t I don’t care. Watch how easy it is to get at us down the channels, watch how many crosses they manage to put in. Which we fail to block. It’s just too easy and on another day or another team and we’d have lost.
Oh and if you don’t think I know what I’m talking about. Have a listen to their manager. Or maybe Shotton on radio Oxford the other week or perhaps watch back some of our other matches. I don’t care if you agree with me but i think our defence is a shambles, especially at full back.

Just watch the first half mate. Or don’t I don’t care. Watch how easy it is to get at us down the channels, watch how many crosses they manage to put in. Which we fail to block. It’s just too easy and on another day or another team and we’d have lost.
Oh and if you don’t think I know what I’m talking about. Have a listen to their manager. Or maybe Shotton on radio Oxford the other week or perhaps watch back some of our other matches. I don’t care if you agree with me but i think our defence is a shambles, especially at full back.

Have to agree there. Far too many crosses have been coming in all season and let’s be honest, teams know we are vulnerable to it hence them peppering our box as much as possible. Need a minimum of 4 new defenders next season regardless of what division we are in

God you’re miserable sod, full backs might not be your George Baldocks or Richardino’s but Sam Long apart from a poor backward header did ok and Josh Ruffles does ok and for the time being thats what we’ve got and Nelson as a CB he makes mistakes so did Rob Dickie but from what you have gushed about Blackpool laying siege...... the defence must have done something right.

I can see where Shaun is coming from.
Its not just the Blackpool game where this has happened. We do leak too many crosses. But this time we won the game with a gritty performance and one we should adopt for all our remaining away games. On another occassion (for instance Accy) those crosses can lead to goals. You don't need the lions share of possesion to get crosses in, just shift the ball quickly to the wings and get them in. A tactic Denis Smith used when we had Smith and Gray in midfield.
The main thing is we got the three points but we should be aware that teams do get in crosses a bit too easily against us and it could be seen as a weakness.

God you’re miserable sod, full backs might not be your George Baldocks or Richardino’s but Sam Long apart from a poor backward header did ok and Josh Ruffles does ok and for the time being thats what we’ve got and Nelson as a CB he makes mistakes so did Rob Dickie but from what you have gushed about Blackpool laying siege...... the defence must have done something right.

I’m a miserable sod? No I’m not. If you met me you would see I’m the most jovial, happy and contented of men.
You are obviously just incapable of having a reasonable debate without resorting to being insulting.
Oh and for the record Richardino was not a great defender. Good going forward but awful at defending.
As for doing something right that’s exactly the point we were not good they were bad.

I do think one of the reasons so many crosses have entered our box is down to the wingers as much as the full backs. Wingers not backing up there partner on that wing and leaving them 2on1. Especially on the right where Graham was, as good as he is attacking he is lazy at the back compare that to Whyte who is virtually a wing back and covers every blade on the right side.

Anyway I'd take 6(?) more away wins exactly like Blackpool.

I’m a miserable sod? No I’m not. If you met me you would see I’m the most jovial, happy and contented of men.
You are obviously just incapable of having a reasonable debate without resorting to being insulting.
Oh and for the record Richardino was not a great defender. Good going forward but awful at defending.
As for doing something right that’s exactly the point we were not good they were bad.
You don’t a
Have a clue do you? Richardino was a decent LB
I suppose you will say Tom Newey was a decent LB
We were not good they were bad? You said they gad us under siege hence why I said if they did the defence must have been decent.
Next you will say Grahame goal was a fluke

I wasn’t at the Blackpool game Jerome.

We often set up with a narrow midfield 3. Mousinho in defensive central position with say Brannagan & Henry either side but slightly further forward. Leaving lots of space on the flanks.

To compensate we play 3 forwards , Mackie in the centre with 2 wide forwards (2 out of say Browne/Whyte/Graham)
The 2 wide forwards help out our fullbacks. Trouble is our wide forwards players ain’t the best defensively and the fullbacks get exposed, and when they do sit deeper it limits our attacking threat on the wings.

I suspect that the thinking behind playing Garbutt in the wide forward role is that he will add more protection to the fullback because of his defensive experience.

It’s all a balancing act, a trade off between being defensive or attack minded.

Here is the 24 crosses Blackpool made from open play:

As I put in the Data Bits thread, crossing as a strategy is an inefficient one (highlighted more in relation to us!)

You don’t a
We were not good they were bad? You said they gad us under siege hence why I said if they did the defence must have been decent.
I'm with Ricey on this, Ricco was not very good at stopping the crosses coming in, he backed off far to much.

You don’t a

There you go again being insulting. Plus you’re now making up hypothetical things I might also believe.
No the free kick was a great strike. World class.
Richardino was okay I suppose perhaps I was too harsh. But he was terrible at stopping a cross. But better left back than Ruffles tho I’ll give you that. But never in GB’s league.

I don’t think I said they had us under siege.
I think we were lucky given the number of crosses we allowed in, corners and shots (many off target) that we won the game.
Sorry but that is just my opinion.

It’s 3 points so I’ll take it. But it doesn’t mean KR is now a tactical genius and that we’re sure to survive in league 1. Especially with a defence that’s looking shaky.

You obviously think our defence is fine but I disagree. That’s okay you know. It doesn’t make me an idiot just because we disagree.

I can only comment on what I see and I see a shakey defence conceding too many soft goals. And a central defence exposed by so many balls being able to be delivered into our box. Or by players getting in behind and able to effect play in dangerous areas.

There you go again being insulting. Plus you’re now making up hypothetical things I might also believe.
No the free kick was a great strike. World class.
Richardino was okay I suppose perhaps I was too harsh. But he was terrible at stopping a cross. But better left back than Ruffles tho I’ll give you that. But never in GB’s league.

I don’t think I said they had us under siege.
I think we were lucky given the number of crosses we allowed in, corners and shots (many off target) that we won the game.
Sorry but that is just my opinion.

It’s 3 points so I’ll take it. But it doesn’t mean KR is now a tactical genius and that we’re sure to survive in league 1. Especially with a defence that’s looking shaky.

You obviously think our defence is fine but I disagree. That’s okay you know. It doesn’t make me an idiot just because we disagree.

I can only comment on what I see and I see a shakey defence conceding too many soft goals. And a central defence exposed by so many balls being able to be delivered into our box. Or by players getting in behind and able to effect play in dangerous areas.
No I don’t think our defence is fine and would go as far as to say Nelson been poor this season, but on Saturday may have rode our luck but the defence did ok otherwise Blackpool would have scored.
Where have insulted you on my last post?

No I don’t think our defence is fine and would go as far as to say Nelson been poor this season, but on Saturday may have rode our luck but the defence did ok otherwise Blackpool would have scored.
Where have insulted you on my last post?

LOL so we both agree our defence is not okay. And on Saturday we rode our luck.
The only difference of opinion is I think they were poor in the final 3rd rather than our defence being good.

Back
Top Bottom