Home Match Day Thread 23/01/21 L1 - OUFC v Bristol Rovers

well deserved win again today, clean sheet, can’t ask for more, and the U’S go marching on

COYY

Game of opinions, but Shodipo was a constant thorn in Rovers side, attacking, running at them, put one great ball in which someone should have scored from, got one of their players booked early on... whereas Henry did very little, and most of what he did do was poor.

But we won, that’s the main thing!

Henry did very little, are you sure? The link up with Sam Long before he was switched to the left or his very good set pieces such as the corners for the 1st goal or spotting the pass to Liam Kelly for his effort. He wasn't at his best today but he certainly did more than very little.

Henry did very little, are you sure? The link up with Sam Long before he was switched to the left or his very good set pieces such as the corners for the 1st goal or spotting the pass to Liam Kelly for his effort. He wasn't at his best today but he certainly did more than very little.
He hit the ball out of play more than passing it to Sam Long! His corner for the first goal was a very average long ball to the back of the box.

Just done a freeze frame check on the Sky video report. Taylor was onside for the first goal. But it was damned close. The second goal couldn't be decided. He was 2 or 3 yards off side when he received the ball, but the record didn't show the exact point Ruffels passed the ball. So just have t rely on the linesman. No sign of him in the video though.

I think it's been well documented that Henry has been way off his usual standards all season, save for the occasional good performance here and there, which I feel reflects his performance today, as he did have a number of awful moments, and mistakes, and looked out of sorts at times,
but I think people overlook the good work he does with his subtle link up play as well.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm such a big fan of Henry, and really want him to rediscover the form that's made him such an important player for us over the last few years, that I'm looking on him favourably, whilst overlooking the contribution of Shodipo, who I just felt other than a few useful moments when he switched to the right side in the first half, and then some good tracking back in the 2nd half, only had an OK game, and seemed a bit quiet.

But that's just my opinion, if you disagree, thats fine, all that matters to me is the 3 points, so I'm happy, and enjoying my post match beers!
I've been a big defender of Henry, and have generally taken the view that while he isn't as obviously dynamic as a Whyte or a Shodipo you can rely on him for moments of quality that change games. But I have to say, even my faith is beginning to wear a bit thin. He does have those moments of quality in him, but is he consistently offering more than more obviously direct wingers (like Shodipo today) do? His best moments today came when he was playing really inside, basically as a number 10, not as a RW. He's a lovely footballer but I think we look so dangerous with pace on both wings, and we're so used to Henry we don't really realise it until he's replaced.

Just done a freeze frame check on the Sky video report. Taylor was onside for the first goal. But it was damned close. The second goal couldn't be decided. He was 2 or 3 yards off side when he received the ball, but the record didn't show the exact point Ruffels passed the ball. So just have t rely on the linesman. No sign of him in the video though.
2nd goal - in real time linesman has no chance really just has to guess - some you win some you lose.

He hit the ball out of play more than passing it to Sam Long! His corner for the first goal was a very average long ball to the back of the box.

That wasn't very average, it was in the danger zone hence we scored along with plenty of his other set pieces.

That wasn't very average, it was in the danger zone hence we scored along with plenty of his other set pieces.
We scored after it had been flicked on twice! It was in no way the danger zone, unless literally anywhere in the box is the danger zone. Come on, you can’t say Taylor’s first goal all stemmed from a superb corner into the box.

Complete control of the game today. We scored and kept our concentration levels up...didn't feel we would concede apart from a worldie. Taylor clinical again.

Worrying about MM, I think Kelly wants too much time on the ball, Shodipo has been on the weights no doubt.

Bring in a couple of quality additions and I fancy us. We are gonna be a busy bunch now...

It’s a bit harsh to write Winnall off so quickly. It’s clear just watching him, for the short time he was on today, that he is very short of fitness. He’s joined a new club, been injured and now trying to break in to a team on a roll. I don’t care how good you are that isn’t an easy situation. Once he gets a full game or two in and grabs a goal he will begin to feel part of it and we will see what is undoubtedly a class player at this level.

It’s a bit harsh to write Winnall off so quickly. It’s clear just watching him, for the short time he was on today, that he is very short of fitness. He’s joined a new club, been injured and now trying to break in to a team on a roll. I don’t care how good you are that isn’t an easy situation. Once he gets a full game or two in and grabs a goal he will begin to feel part of it and we will see what is undoubtedly a class player at this level.

I've seen Winnall play live in the Championship a few times and he looked a totally class act. In terms of talent, he's got it, there's no doubting it.

It's all about fitness with Sam.

Not so sure. Two of his corners didn't beat the first man.
He has been poor to average since the first lockdown. At times he is a passenger and looks to be even slower than last season. He has been a very good player for us and I hope he is again because when he does play well consistently along with Cam he is an automatic choice but at the moment he is very lucky to be starting.
Anyway, another good win today. Good finishing by Matty. Long, Moore and Atkinson were very good, Shodipo had some good moments and what a save by Stevens!! Kelly had one of his best games for us. Onto the next one.

Back
Top Bottom