Home Match Day Thread 23/01/21 L1 - OUFC v Bristol Rovers

And what else happened around about the 20th minute?

Remember Kelly has barely played a game with Brannagan alongside him. I can recall the Newcastle cameo of course , where he was excellent . On that performance today he starts on Tuesday. And if he continues in that vein then McGuane will be the player benched.

Anyway, good performance today and Rovers couldn’t really touch us.
I can promise you that if McGuane and Kelly are both fully fit and both in the same form they’ve been in for the last few games, McGuane will start over Kelly every single game.

As McGuane is injured though I agree, Kelly will be playing for the foreseeable and I’m glad he’s coming into a bit of form. Long may it continue

And what else happened around about the 20th minute?

Remember Kelly has barely played a game with Brannagan alongside him. I can recall the Newcastle cameo of course , where he was excellent . On that performance today he starts on Tuesday. And if he continues in that vein then McGuane will be the player benched.

Anyway, good performance today and Rovers couldn’t really touch us.
Did Kelly score? Sorry, I can’t remember what involvement he had in the first goal. I’m not saying he’s bad. Far from it. My point is, Maguane and Brannagan are the type of players that force other teams to think about their shape and how they setup. Those two, with Gorrin sat behind, would/should dominate most midfields in this division. Physical, strong, hard in the challenge and all able to turn the ball over quickly and advance the play.

Kelly, to me, is a player that is best used at the right time, against the right team. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. The Newcastle cameo is a moment we all look back on fondly but, I think sometimes we forget that there have been 30 games since then. I care a lot more about how he plays against Gillingham away, when the going gets tough..

Finally, there is no way Liam Kelly starts ahead of a fit Maguane. Especially with Cam back in the side.

In my opinion...

Last edited:
I can promise you that if McGuane and Kelly are both fully fit and both in the same form they’ve been in for the last few games, McGuane will start over Kelly every single game.

As McGuane is injured though I agree, Kelly will be playing for the foreseeable and I’m glad he’s coming into a bit of form. Long may it continue
Orrrr have Gorrin in CDM with Brannagan at CM with Henry as a CAM/10? I think Henry has been better when played centrally. He seems lost out wide. Regardless of the link up play with Long, that’s mainly due to Sam’s new found appetite to get forward. Shodipo and Obita would be good out wide, unless we bring in an out and out winger to rotate with Obita. Holland?

Did Kelly score? Sorry, I can’t remember what involvement he had in the first goal. I’m not saying he’s bad. Far from it. My point is, Maguane and Brannagan are the type of players that force other teams to think about their shape and how they setup. Those two, with Gorrin sat behind, would/should dominate most midfields in this division. Physical, strong, hard in the challenge and all able to turn the ball over quickly and advance the play.

Kelly, to me, is a player that is best used at the right time, against the right team. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. The Newcastle cameo is a moment we all look back on fondly but, I think sometimes we forget that there have been 30 games since then. I care a lot more about how he plays against Gillingham away, when the going gets tough..

Finally, there is no way Liam Kelly starts ahead of a fit Maguane. Especially with Cam back in the side.

In my opinion...

Kelly’s best ‘cameo’ for us was his performance against Wycombe at Wembley, far better than he did against Newcastle. That’s the player we need to see on a more regular basis.

Kelly has one half decent performance, it was by no means great and he gave the ball away sloppily quite a few times and he is suddenly a regular starter? To say he is better than McGuane, who has been one of our best players consistently over the last couple of months, is bizarre to say the least.

Giving a reason that with Brannagan alongside him that will make him a first choice is also odd. In that case wouldn't CB playing also make McGuane look even better?

Last edited:
Just checked our home form against them on Rage Online (what an excellent website BTW) and I'm feeling pessimistic now! Plus add in our enforced break and rust and it'll be difficult for us against a Rovers team scrapping to get out of the threat of relegation.

Funny way of spelling steroids 😂

Unfair. He's been injured for most of that. He might be a stroke of genius, he might be an epic fail. Too early to judge.
So how long do you give him to get fit? By now Winnall should be fit and with KR introducing him as a sun as he has done abs starting him in the puss pot trophy would suggest he is fit. I would like nothing more than Winnall to reproduce the form that we all know he had.
He lacks confidence at the moment but how long do we give? But until he starts to score it looks like we are carrying him.

Just done a freeze frame check on the Sky video report. Taylor was onside for the first goal. But it was damned close. The second goal couldn't be decided. He was 2 or 3 yards off side when he received the ball, but the record didn't show the exact point Ruffels passed the ball. So just have t rely on the linesman. No sign of him in the video though.
For the 2nd it looks to me (interpreting because they’re just off screen for that split second) that Taylor is being kept onside by their left CB who is staying back a little because of our other player (was it Henry?) who is offside and walking back and “not interfering with play”.

For the 2nd it looks to me (interpreting because they’re just off screen for that split second) that Taylor is being kept onside by their left CB who is staying back a little because of our other player (was it Henry?) who is offside and walking back and “not interfering with play”.
Another thing to consider is when the 2nd goal is scored, Leahy hold his hands up to blame Harries,the player who played Taylor onside.

Nice touch Karl
KR is a decent guy who does an awful lot of good for this football club.
I know that there are a small number who seem to get incredibly upset with him saying that he wants to get his transfer activity done early and that he lets Clare go purely to be 'stubborn ',
But not only does he seem a decent man, but he is also doing pretty well on the football side at the moment.

Another thing to consider is when the 2nd goal is scored, Leahy hold his hands up to blame Harries,the player who played Taylor onside.
Yep, their reaction says it all. They all half-heartedly put arms in the air to appeal for offside as Taylor collects the ball, but when he puts it in the net they know they messed up as a defensive line. If they truly believed he was offside they'd be charging over going apoplectic at the lino.

KR is a decent guy who does an awful lot of good for this football club.
I know that there are a small number who seem to get incredibly upset with him saying that he wants to get his transfer activity done early and that he lets Clare go purely to be 'stubborn ',
But not only does he seem a decent man, but he is also doing pretty well on the football side at the moment.

Robinson does more behind the scenes than most realise and is a genuinely good guy. At the beginning of the lockdown last spring, I know of a number of people who Karl called to check that they were ok. This included one who was called on the morning of his Dad's funeral by Karl to offer his condolences and ask if there was anything the club could do to help. He knows kids and their parents at all levels of the club and (prior to covid) watched them regularly. He spends more time with the first team players (on and off the training pitch) than any other manager in recent times (including MApp who was also very hands on). And the idea that he actively dislikes Agyei, Sykes or pushed Clare out for some ego boost is ridiculous.

When you get those who say that they will criticise when things go wrong, and only tolerate him when things go well, it says more about the pettiness of some of our fans than it does about Robinson.

Robinson does more behind the scenes than most realise and is a genuinely good guy. At the beginning of the lockdown last spring, I know of a number of people who Karl called to check that they were ok. This included one who was called on the morning of his Dad's funeral by Karl to offer his condolences and ask if there was anything the club could do to help. He knows kids and their parents at all levels of the club and (prior to covid) watched them regularly. He spends more time with the first team players (on and off the training pitch) than any other manager in recent times (including MApp who was also very hands on). And the idea that he actively dislikes Agyei, Sykes or pushed Clare out for some ego boost is ridiculous.

When you get those who say that they will criticise when things go wrong, and only tolerate him when things go well, it says more about the pettiness of some of our fans than it does about Robinson.
I feel this is a "petty" little dig at some of my earlier comments, which in fairness, although he has a history of being quite stubborn and egotistical at times, might have been a bit harsh on Robbo.

But Robinson is a good guy, I like him, and I have never said I would "only tolerate him" when things go well, he's a good bloke, and he gets my full support, win or lose.

But as much as I'll praise him for all the good things he does, (and I do) that doesn't mean I won't criticise him if I feel he's made a pigs ear of something, it's not petty, it's simply about being able to see both sides of the coin, and not be a relentless a**e kisser.

But Robinson is a good guy, I like him, and I have never said I would "only tolerate him" when things go well, he's a good bloke, and he gets my full support, win or lose.
I have, because I’ve met him multiple times over the years going back to 2011 and I don’t particularly like him. That’s my experience and nobody has a right to judge or comment on that as they aren’t privy to those conversations or encounters. It’s also fine for people to point out when he behaves poorly or oddly, or contradicts himself, just as it’s fine for people to commend him when he behaves admirably. He does both of these things. Other people are free to like him and to have had good experiences with him. There’s no right or wrong when it comes to whether you like a certain food and it’s the same with people - everybody has people who like them and people who don’t. Pretty sure that tribalism isn’t the answer, but it’s a popular technique in this day and age.

It’s a football forum 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Kelly has one half decent performance, it was by no means great and he gave the ball away sloppily quite a few times and he is suddenly a regular starter? To say he is better than McGuane, who has been one of our best players consistently over the last couple of months, is bizarre to say the least.

Giving a reason that with Brannagan alongside him that will make him a first choice is also odd. In that case wouldn't CB playing also make McGuane look even better?
Kelly should be warming the bench, at best. He's been poor apart from a couple of nice touches since he's been here. McGuane every day over Kelly, and Obita is better than Kelly. In fact I'd rather have an immobile Mous than Kelly.

Back
Top Bottom