Home Match Day Thread 23/01/21 L1 - OUFC v Bristol Rovers

Kelly should be warming the bench, at best. He's been poor apart from a couple of nice touches since he's been here. McGuane every day over Kelly, and Obita is better than Kelly. In fact I'd rather have an immobile Mous than Kelly.

Have you considered actually watching a game or two? Kelly is far better than you describe and has been integral in our recent improvement by doing the dirty work that allows McGuane to flourish.

Have you considered actually watching a game or two? Kelly is far better than you describe and has been integral in our recent improvement by doing the dirty work that allows McGuane to flourish.
I think people get frustrated because he is clearly has some attributes of an outstanding player that would fit in at a much higher level, but is also missing something important in terms of fundamentals which are easily noticed. For example on Saturday there were a few obvious occasions where he dithered on the ball (or at least overestimated how much time he had) and had the ball taken off him. Two times this was at one of those critical points where we pushed forward en bloc, so unexpectedly losing the ball put us under pressure.
Those kinds of lapses wind people up, but they don’t notice the constant work holding the shape of the midfield together.
I wish I knew how to sort him out. I guess from his history that it’s about his head - confidence, self-esteem, anxiety - something like that (but I am not a psychologist).

I think people get frustrated because he is clearly has some attributes of an outstanding player that would fit in at a much higher level, but is also missing something important in terms of fundamentals which are easily noticed. For example on Saturday there were a few obvious occasions where he dithered on the ball (or at least overestimated how much time he had) and had the ball taken off him. Two times this was at one of those critical points where we pushed forward en bloc, so unexpectedly losing the ball put us under pressure.
Those kinds of lapses wind people up, but they don’t notice the constant work holding the shape of the midfield together.
I wish I knew how to sort him out. I guess from his history that it’s about his head - confidence, self-esteem, anxiety - something like that (but I am not a psychologist).

Agreed. That is of course why he is playing L1. For me, he is definitely improving and those better attributes are becoming more consistent/dominant in his performances with growing confidence as opposed to the start of the season.

Most only focus on the on ball actions. We don't expect him to the defensive work like Gorrin (although he does his share!) and is unable to get forward like McGuane/Brannagan, however he does loads off the ball that goes unnoticed. Would like him to take more risk on the ball but with Kelly/Gorrin/McGuane I think we have good balance. It will be intresting when Brannagan is fully fit how he fits into the midfield. My suspicion is that he takes up a similar role to McGuane so there might be some choices to be made!

McGuane’s ability to drive forward with the ball and take people on is incredibly rare at League One level and is a massive weapon for us - players get booked bringing him down which will amount to red cards over the course of a season, and he wins so many set pieces that gives us another attacking threat to our bow. People seem to forget that he was MOTM a couple of games ago and in the top 3 players for a few games - I don’t think Kelly has been anywhere close to that this season.

We shall see but I don’t think if Gorrin, McGuane, Kelly and Brannigan are all fit and in current/their usual recent form there will even be a question about who starts. It will be Gorrin sitting and holding, Brannigan floating about and McGuane more attacking. Brannigan is so versatile and a complete midfielder that he can adapt his game to fit in with how McGuane plays.

Great result from the boys this weekend. I’m generally more pessimistic than optimistic but I can’t help getting a tad excited about this season and what it might yield. The boys and especially KR have found away to win and long may it continue. COYY

I would like to give my informed full review of Oxford Utd vs Bristol Rovers.
Here goes, but please, this is my first ever match review so go easy on me.

OUFC vs Bristol Rovers 23/01/2021
Matty bloody Taylor! Get in there you beauty.

What do you think? Too much detail?

I would like to give my informed full review of Oxford Utd vs Bristol Rovers.
Here goes, but please, this is my first ever match review so go easy on me.

OUFC vs Bristol Rovers 23/01/2021
Matty bloody Taylor! Get in there you beauty.

What do you think? Too much detail?

I liked it.

Perhaps a bit verbose, you could have just said Matty Taylor!

I liked it.

Perhaps a bit verbose, you could have just said Matty Taylor!
Okay point taken. I’ll try and be a bit more succinct next time. I got carried away in the emotion of it all.
😜

Back
Top Bottom