Home Match Build Up 23/01/21 L1 OUFC v Bristol Rovers

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The goals from Crewe 3-2 Bristol R last night. Crewe’s first goal is a bit special.
It hurts to say , but Crewe have a great forward line , well worked goals they have definitely been drilled well.

Feels like there's been a lot of match days this year where we've been left looking at everyone else's results.

And last night - like most of them - was good news for pessimists (most of the teams near the bottom got beat) and bad news for optimists (most of the teams near the top won).

More than ever, I feel like we're destined for a thoroughly mid table finish this season.......

We ought to beat Rovers on Saturday - they're rubbish, and we've been great this season against the rubbish teams (other than the scum).

But they do seem to own us at Grenoble Road, no matter how rubbish they are in any given season.
Our last six home league results against them? 0-2, 1-2, 0-2, 1-2, 0-1, 0-2.
Also remembering them scuppering our playoff chances under Atkins (and saving themselves - for a few seasons at least - from the conference) in a late April 1-0 that was one of the worst examples of grand larceny that the stadium's ever seen.......

Feels like there's been a lot of match days this year where we've been left looking at everyone else's results.

And last night - like most of them - was good news for pessimists (most of the teams near the bottom got beat) and bad news for optimists (most of the teams near the top won).

More than ever, I feel like we're destined for a thoroughly mid table finish this season.......

We ought to beat Rovers on Saturday - they're rubbish, and we've been great this season against the rubbish teams (other than the scum).

But they do seem to own us at Grenoble Road, no matter how rubbish they are in any given season.
Our last six home league results against them? 0-2, 1-2, 0-2, 1-2, 0-1, 0-2.
Also remembering them scuppering our playoff chances under Atkins (and saving themselves - for a few seasons at least - from the conference) in a late April 1-0 that was one of the worst examples of grand larceny that the stadium's ever seen.......
Thoroughly mid table season, yet we’re 6 points off of the playoffs with 2 games in hand and a favourable run of games ahead? Blimey. Glad you’re not playing for us..

Thoroughly mid table season, yet we’re 6 points off of the playoffs with 2 games in hand and a favourable run of games ahead? Blimey. Glad you’re not playing for us..
True we do have 2 games in hand on a teams above us and in some cases 3 but I remember when we were winning div 3 & 2 where we were too and teams having games in hand and claiming they would catch up with us and over take us, and our reply.....we’ve already got the points, which is similar to us now they have the points we don’t, so we mustn’t get complacent.

We're 8 points off the playoffs after last night.
The 'Games in Hand' situation is pretty complicated because of the teams ahead of us, we have three in hand over Charlton & Crewe, but none in hand over Doncaster & Ipswich and we've actually played one more than Accrington.

But look - the main reason I'm skeptical of our chances this season is because we're twenty games in and we still haven't beaten anyone higher than 10th in the league.

We have been mostly brilliant against the dregs (scum excepted) and mostly dreadful against the top teams. Classic mid table form.

When we actually show we can beat someone good, then I may start to get excited about our prospects for the year.......

We're 8 points off the playoffs after last night.
The 'Games in Hand' situation is pretty complicated because of the teams ahead of us, we have three in hand over Charlton & Crewe, but none in hand over Doncaster & Ipswich and we've actually played one more than Accrington.

But look - the main reason I'm skeptical of our chances this season is because we're twenty games in and we still haven't beaten anyone higher than 10th in the league.

We have been mostly brilliant against the dregs (scum excepted) and mostly dreadful against the top teams. Classic mid table form.

When we actually show we can beat someone good, then I may start to get excited about our prospects for the year.......

Also 8-4-8, L-D-W. You don't get more classically mid-table than that.

I`ll take a draw to keep things rolling, we might be a bit rusty.

A win would be pleasing.

The matches we played, and lost, against teams above us was during the period we were fixated on that tippy tippy pass it endlessly across the back four possession game. Over the last nine or ten games we have definitely shifted to a quicker, more direct, purposeful approach and we have important players now playing much better.

I think we could get into a playoff position (if we bolster the squad in the next week for inevitable injuries etc). Too many teams too far ahead to get into the autos though.

The matches we played, and lost, against teams above us was during the period we were fixated on that tippy tippy pass it endlessly across the back four possession game. Over the last nine or ten games we have definitely shifted to a quicker, more direct, purposeful approach and we have important players now playing much better.

I think we could get into a playoff position (if we bolster the squad in the next week for inevitable injuries etc). Too many teams too far ahead to get into the autos though.

I'd love to believe that's true - that we can divide the season up into pre-Scum and post-Scum, and that the post-Scum team is more purposeful and generally better - but we did play perfectly well earlier in the season against Rochdale, MK Dons, Accrington & Wigan.

Against the one good team we've played since the start of December, Hull, we did OK but we were really hanging on for a point by the end.

My concern this season is that we're flat track bullies, and destined for mid table mediocrity as a result.

I hope I'm wrong - and we'll find out in February when we travel to Doncaster & Ipswich and host Pompey as three of five fixtures in the space of seventeen days......

I hope I'm wrong - and we'll find out in February when we travel to Doncaster & Ipswich and host Pompey as three of five fixtures in the space of seventeen days......

We will be okay in February... as we will have filled the three empty squad positions with great players for L1... won't we?

Didn't we best Accrington pretty comfortably?
Also we drew at Pompey and Ipswich and got a draw v Hull.
So whist taking your point that we have generally been poor against the better sides we have improved of late.

Didn't we best Accrington pretty comfortably?
Also we drew at Pompey and Ipswich and got a draw v Hull.
So whist taking your point that we have generally been poor against the better sides we have improved of late.

We did beat Accrington back in September, but they have slipped back to 10th place now (Hull thumped them yesterday). Hence my post.

I thought we were a little bit fortunate to get a point against Hull, who bossed the last hour; and the game against Ipswich was at home, very turgid and they were missing 12 players due to injury.

The Pompey result was great, and our best performance so far this season against one of the top sides.
But if we're going to muscle our way into the playoff picture, we're going to have to not just match that performance, but go one better and beat some teams in the top third of the league.

As I say, I hope we can do it and I think this year's team could be really good. I just don't think they've proven it yet this year against good opposition.

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Kelly Gorrin McGuane
Henry Taylor Shodipo

2-1 oxford. Obita winner off the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom