Home Match Day Thread +++ 22/09/18 OUFC v Walsall Match Day Thread +++

Yellow bow
Do you think so,not sure if you heard the KR interview after the game but when asked about the game next weekend he seemed unsure and said something like "Let's wait and see what happens"
He could have been referring to injuries etc but I got the impression he knows he hasn't got long to turn things round and he has to rely on players out of form and low on confidence.
Yep I did pick up on that. I have to say it was the most crest-fallen interview I’ve heard from KR to date. I suppose there an argument that, with the big high-profile match this week, Tiger might feel the need to take quick action, get a new big name person in for the match, but I can’t see it. I think under the present set-up, KR is Director of Football, Manager and Head Coach all rolled in to one.

Yep I did pick up on that. I have to say it was the most crest-fallen interview I’ve heard from KR to date. I suppose there an argument that, with the big high-profile match this week, Tiger might feel the need to take quick action, get a new big name person in for the match, but I can’t see it. I think under the present set-up, KR is Director of Football, Manager and Head Coach all rolled in to one.
I agree that he seems close to Tiger but if we lose by 6/7 to Man City and lose at Wimbledon which is fairly likely (big team in our faces) the game at home to Luton will be pivotal because if we go behind the crowd will start to get at KR.There were many unhappy fans in the East Stand after the game and only the late goal and non penalty decision saved the chorus of boos which would surely have followed

The number of voices calling for Robinson’s dismissal are growing by the game and I would say that on balance, I am just tipping towards the “he needs to go camp” - however, the thought terrifies me. Following the dismissal of Pep, our last recruitment process took an age, encompassed the likes of Kluivert, and resulted in none other than Karl Robinson. In a normal world with a Chairman that understands lower tier football, dismissing Robinson would seem the practical solution here - but Tiger has done nothing to convince me that he has any idea about Division One football and we sure as hell don’t need 2 or 3 months without a manager right now.

Good to see Quest featured a load of controversial penalty decisions in the EFL. shame there were none at the Kashstad yesterday then... ?

The number of voices calling for Robinson’s dismissal are growing by the game and I would say that on balance, I am just tipping towards the “he needs to go camp” - however, the thought terrifies me. Following the dismissal of Pep, our last recruitment process took an age, encompassed the likes of Kluivert, and resulted in none other than Karl Robinson. In a normal world with a Chairman that understands lower tier football, dismissing Robinson would seem the practical solution here - but Tiger has done nothing to convince me that he has any idea about Division One football and we sure as hell don’t need 2 or 3 months without a manager right now.
This might initially seem a completely bonkers suggestion but I wonder if Dan Harris would ever be considered? He does have the coaching credentials and ‘left-field’ appointments have worked for clubs in the past..

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/january/dan-harris/

Couple of points i picked up from this game-
-Mitchell's best game for us, apart from being a bit hesitant for there 1st he looked a different keeper and commanded his area well and distributed well.
-Midfield too weak physically, Hanson lost the ball too easily and constantly passing sideways instead of looking to make a forward pass.
-Holmes, i like him but too greedy, not looking for the best option and i feel like he's playing for himself. Not really passing to a man in a better position.
-Strikers are both as eachother, are too nice an not prepared to battle.
-Robinson, tactially inept and a stubborn idiot. Playing 6 on the bench just to prove a point.
-Proud to see the fans come together and make our disappointment known about Ka$$am screwing us over even more.
-HARVEY BRADBURY, GET HIM IN THE TEAM.

Also where were those 4.5k extra that are going Man City, today?
I’m one of the the fans without a season ticket and going to the city game. Finding the criticism toward some fans disappointing. I live and breath oxford despite not living in the county anymore. Like many others, I simply can’t afford every game and have a very young family, so completely unfair to leave my partner on my day off to cope on her own. It’s great that we have a core following who will be there win loose or draw, but please consider that situations mean that others don’t alway have that option to do so.

But that's exactly the point right? Why wouldn't KR be given the same opportunity?
KR has had more time to get things right, he has had a full close season today bring in the right players.

Why anyone would wilfully suffer the B*****s we were served yesterday is a mystery. Dreadful.

Don’t want to sound like some old boy, but apart from a dangerous striker what we really lack is passion and intensity. Lots of possession and good play but nothing very aggressive or threatening. The soulless ground and lack of atmosphere could be a factor I guess

The soulless ground wasn’t a factor when we got promoted, was it?
I’m not having Robinson having that as an excuse after his comments at the forum - his words were ‘we hate playing there’.

Ultimately, KR is paid to get a squad of players to function on the pitch to enable us to get positive results.

Currently, his apparent lack of tactical flexibility is preventing us from winning games - the stadium does not come close to being an adequate excuse for his failings as our manager.

A must read on the current situation. A very well written piece.
That piece did provide some interesting views, including reference to our nickname. I too hate "U's". For a start, the plural of U for United is "Us", not 'U's". Still, that's admittedly a very small problem compared to where we seem to be heading. The hope we felt after the Sunderland performance feels like a distant memory now.

I find the physical conditioning of our players to be a big worry. Pound for pound every side in the league to date has appeared bigger, stronger and faster than us. It is no wonder we are where we are.

From a technical perspective we are fine. We also have talented young players. But that’s not good enough by itself to win games. Ball movement is also not quick enough.

League 1 sides have worked out ow to play against us. However hard we try, however often Robinson bleats about the ref and the rub of the green, this squad as currently set out will struggle to avoid the drop.

The Kassam work to rule cannot be helping on pitch. Away teams allowed access before us on match days? Wtf?

I cannot see an easy solution to the ground dilemma. My personal view is that the club/Tiger buy Kassam out. And rename it the BMW Brexit Memorisl Stand or whatever.
With a fourth stand this would be a very acceptable home for the club.

But what’s the chances of that happening?

Robinson’s public admission that the players hate playing here was wrong. Keep views like that to yourself! It just smacks of yet another excuse.

I admire Robbo’s spirit and enthusiasm. He patently cares. And we have had some bad fortune with injuries.

But ultimately as ever it’s a results game. Suggest we need 5 points from next 3 games.
(not impossible at all.)

Otherwise it’s taxi for Karl.

Ps Walsall were pretty useful. Far better than Coventry/Wycombe .It wasn’t a disgrace per se to lose to them.

Ahem COYY.

Pps - bet we do better against City than anticipated.

I mean, honestly, yeah, I am. I think there is value in letting a manager, especially a proven one like KR (to my eyes) take some time to develop a team.

If the club had taken your stance 4 years ago, Michael Appleton would have been replaced. He too had had a summer to recruit, and come 11 October (about 3 weeks away from where we are now), we were 23rd in the L2 table, with 10 points from 12 games having just got stuffed by Cambridge. We stuck with him, we ended up fine that season, mid table, and the rest is history. I don't see why there's this perceived need to just get rid of a manager as soon as things don't immediately go right, especially with a manager who has shown he can get teams out of this league,

The big difference is with Appleton you could see what he was trying to do. Also, KR had a full pre-season, Appleton had about a month before the first pre season game as someone has already pointed out.

The last point to ponder is comparing one manager to another is sometimes fruitless. We are in a situation here and now, we are where we are. Crowds are falling, and 3 more games, difficult games that we are likely to get little from, gives any new manager less time to turn things around.

The big difference is with Appleton you could see what he was trying to do. Also, KR had a full pre-season, Appleton had about a month before the first pre season game as someone has already pointed out.

The last point to ponder is comparing one manager to another is sometimes fruitless. We are in a situation here and now, we are where we are. Crowds are falling, and 3 more games, difficult games that we are likely to get little from, gives any new manager less time to turn things around.

Yeah I appreciate that - I've perhaps been guilty of a bit of 'whataboutism' here, which isn't hugely helpful. They're different managers, in different leagues, and operating in different environments. I do think the points that you and others have made about being able to 'see what Appleton was trying to do' in his first few months is very much looking back with rose-tinted glasses (it got to a point where the phrase 'tippy tappy' was being used in pretty much every other post on the old forum back then), but it did work out in the end so fair enough. My point from the beginning has just been that I think there is value in giving a manager the time to build a team, and that, long term, having patience with a manager who is proven at this level will probably be better for the club than sacking a manager every time we go on a bad run.

I thought we looked thoroughly pedestrian yesterday. There were two or three passages of decent play and a few individuals did OK in patches, but in general it was very dispiriting.

There seems to be no drive, little proper team play, no understanding between the players, no threat up front (of course!), endless and risky cross field play at the back. It is football played by numbers, except when it goes wrong and then nobody has any real idea what to do. Free kicks, corners and crosses are terrible. Hoofing the ball at Smith is a waste of time, and taking him off and replacing him with Obika was pretty desperate from Robinson (c.f. Obika's pathetic attempt to stay on the ball when he had that potential one on one with their keeper. He didn't want to get there nearly enough - if at all.). Is Hanson rellay the most expensive player KR has ever bought? Blimey. From what I've seen, not as good as either Brannagan or Ruffels.

And the worst thing is that for all the injuries - I can't see things improving much when those players return. Eastwood will make a difference at the back (but not change the striker situation!), Mackie and Hall are write-offs and Carruthers didn't impress in pre-season. Browne has shown bit and pieces but he is a youngster and can't be expected to revitalise the team. With the likes of Whyte, Baptise, Holmes, Henry, Nelson etc you would think a competent manager should be able to create some sort of side that will compete - does anyone know where we can get one?

After thinking the cup draw was a brilliant one, I am now travelling to Tuesdays match more in dread than expectation. The last thing those players need at the moment is an absolutely humiliating drubbing, but based on yesterday that result is what I am predicting.

Where’s the guy who used to be ‘Highlights’ I believe on the old forum whose job was football match analysis. Would be interesting to hear his opinion now.
As for KR – agree he is stubborn. How and why he persists with one up front is beyond me. It clearly hasn’t been nor likely ever will succeed at this level. Just think back to the World Cup when England often used it with just Kane up front – it didn’t work even with him! Yes, I know he got the golden boot but that was mainly for penalties and remember that Croatia match? Yes England were all over them but only managed one and in the second half when Croatia had worked it out they completely outplayed a toothless England – ditto OUFC.
If opposing defenders have only one forward in their area they have more than enough support to deal with him. Packing the midfield and expecting them to come forward with support (and aid defenders) is failing on two levels. One - they pass the square and backward ball too many times (no surprise with only one up front) and two: the build-up play looks pretty but it’s not decisive which of course gives the opposing team all the time in the world to regroup and to defend in numbers and then hit us on the break.
True there is not a great choice available currently, but surely Obika with Smith is better than one of them failing alone. Obika can lay off, Smith should be able to get more chances and defenders will have more of a game on their hands meaning others in the team rather than bombing forward will have to support more. If your really stuck for a forward why not use Whyte who could play havoc in a centre forward role – just like Thierry Henry did when Wenger moved him in from winger to forward – what’s to lose? Just my opinion, no axe to grind just want an improvement in our goals for column – this can’t continue, i.e. just repeating the same failed game plan every game. This strategy probably works better away from home purely because the home team has to come forward whereas at the Kassam they can wait, subdue a lone striker and then go looking for goals.

Yeah I appreciate that - I've perhaps been guilty of a bit of 'whataboutism' here, which isn't hugely helpful. They're different managers, in different leagues, and operating in different environments. I do think the points that you and others have made about being able to 'see what Appleton was trying to do' in his first few months is very much looking back with rose-tinted glasses (it got to a point where the phrase 'tippy tappy' was being used in pretty much every other post on the old forum back then), but it did work out in the end so fair enough. My point from the beginning has just been that I think there is value in giving a manager the time to build a team, and that, long term, having patience with a manager who is proven at this level will probably be better for the club than sacking a manager every time we go on a bad run.

If you look back through my postings in August, I was one of this squads and KR's biggest advocates. But this is more than a team going on a bad run, hence we are second bottom, with almost a quarter of the season gone. I was really impressed at Sunderland and have my ticket for Wimbledon, but 9 games in, isn't a 3/4 game bad run. There lies the difference.
I really hope your right, if he is to be given more time, but it could turn out to be a dangerous gamble if it doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom