Away Match Day Thread +++ 22/04/2019 Shrewsbury v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Don't spoil the party.
I don't think there's anyone on here who won't give KR credit for what he's achieved over these last8 matches. There was plenty of reason to doubt him earlier in the season, and without being able to see into the future that seems fair enough.

Let's just enjoy where we are now. Apart from anything else, winning three matches with a man down is a he'll of an achievement.

COYY
Ok, but KR does take a lot of flack..and they enjoy it... sorry to mention it at this time.

well done all. I always seem to miss the action packed games (Charlton aside)
must try to get to some away games next season. got a feeling we may be in for a treat

The kashi incident happened just after a shrews player went studs in on whyte. Their player didnt even get a yellow. The difference being whyte didnt roll around on the floor pretending to be shot.

I think that was the main issue, no consistency from the ref. Tackles were flying in, he let everything go, without yellows, and then bang, straight red for Kashi.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching that today though. Just need to try and keep as much of it together now for next season. (Barring a few).

Last edited:
Looking at the highlights;
1. Possible handball Fromm Whyte for our first
2. Never a pen. Player went down very easily.
3. Can’t blame Stevens for the second as someone on here suggested.
4. Whyte took his goals well
5. Deserved red card for Kashi

My take:
1. No idea if handball or not for the first, could have been anything on that camera angle.
2. Not a pen, but also daft from Nelson...no need to be making that challenge. Don't give the ref the option.
3. Stevens getting the blame for the second? Some people need to give their heads a wobble...it was about a metre away from him at pace.
4. Deserved red card, can't go in like that in this day and age. Out of control and over the ball. Red all day long.
5. Clinical from Whyte, awful defending.
6. We look a lot, lot fitter nowadays.

Enjoy the evening guys and gals.
COYY

Well, congratulations to Mr Robinson, the turn around has been remarkable.
Next season will be a tough one. You have a set of players at the moment who I believe could push for promotion. It’s your job now to try and keep this side together and add a few extras. Good luck.

It's one thing doubting a manager, particularly with the start we had, but I would have thought that we'd have learned from our experience with Michael Appleton. You've GOT to give managers time, particularly with the horrendous injury situation we started the season with. I'm so pleased that Tiger, for all his financial issues, had the good sense not to get rid of him when many were calling for his head.

As you might expect from this recent run, over the last 10 games we're 3rd in the form table. But more impressive even than that is the fact that over the last 30 games we're 6th in the form table. This run is no fluke, but Karl Robinson having the luxury to pick from a pretty full slate of players and the ability to select a good starting team and make excellent substitutions.

We've got ourselves a good manager and a good team. I just hope that we can keep as many as possible for next year.

100%

No ones said it for a while. Amazing how a few wins make people feel more positive about the owners. But anyway,get in!! What an incredible run! It’s like the end of the season before last, when McAleny couldn’t stop scoring and we won 3-0 at Millwall

The kashi incident happened just after a shrews player went studs in on whyte. Their player didnt even get a yellow. The difference being whyte didnt roll around on the floor pretending to be shot.
And boy did Campbell get up quick and run back in the pitch. Shame when a young player is already resorting to that

No ones said it for a while. Amazing how a few wins make people feel more positive about the owners. But anyway,get in!! What an incredible run! It’s like the end of the season before last, when McAleny couldn’t stop scoring and we won 3-0 at Millwall

Any indication of people being more positive about the owners? The fan base is obviously more positive in general but I think there are still some major concerns regarding Tiger and his 'plan'.

On the pitch, however, things have been absolutely fantastic of late. The team/Robinson has really worked out a winning formula and it's clear that if we can keep the core of the squad together we should be much higher up the table this team next year.

Whyte was magnificent today, and I thought Skyes has another good showing. Garbutt looked solid at left back (never thought I'd say that), and Nico Jones looked very calm when he came on. He could do a job in the first team squad next season I reckon.

All in all a very good day out.

Oh to be a Shropshire U now a win is here!!!
My belief in this squad has been rising slowly over the last 11 games, but today was a clincher in terms of attitude and obvious team spirit. To go 2-1 down with 10 men for 60 minutes away from home, and then come back like that is truly impressive. And yes, credit must go to Robinson and Derry (the half time subbing worked well, as did the second half placing of Whyte in the middle and the pulling back of Mackie to left midfield).

One clear point prior to the comeback was that Carruthers is a liability. He had a shocker in that first half and we were effectively down to 9 men after Kashi was sent off.
At the end it was noticeable that Robinson was directing the crowd to applaud Brannagan. He made a huge contribution after coming on for the second half, especially in some of his shot blocking. Garbutt also did some great blocks, plus a wonder tackle in front of goal in the first half.

Whyte's finishing was superb, especially given that he has blazed a few over when in a good position this season. If he can be this clinical on a regular basis we have an even bigger asset than we thought.

Hat-trick boy has to be m.o.m., but Nelson was also excellent.

And nice for Jones to play a valuable part in such a joyful win.

Back
Top Bottom