Away Match Day Thread +++ 22/04/2019 Shrewsbury v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Jones has been extremely impressive. Stevens might have been at fault for the second goal but has otherwise commanded his area well. Impressive performances from our young players imo.

Why was he at fault for the second?
Seems to me when a player has that much room to shoot on the edge of the box it’s not the keepers problem

Why was he at fault for the second?
Seems to me when a player has that much room to shoot on the edge of the box it’s not the keepers problem
Agreed, the guy had the freedom of Shrewsbury to smash that at goal. Eastwood wouldn’t have saved it either.

I now expect the KR moaners to give a him a bit of praise.....after all, they soon jump on his back when thing aren't going right.
Yes you lot who get on ox mail as well.
You may still not see him as the right one, but you must give him credit.

Don't spoil the party.
I don't think there's anyone on here who won't give KR credit for what he's achieved over these last8 matches. There was plenty of reason to doubt him earlier in the season, and without being able to see into the future that seems fair enough.

Let's just enjoy where we are now. Apart from anything else, winning three matches with a man down is a he'll of an achievement.

COYY

That is an unbelievable result, considering the position we were in at half time, a goal and a man down away from home against a team still needing a result to properly be safe from relegation. This run has been absolutely unbelievable - it can't be overstated. We had absolutely no right to get anything today. Brilliant.

A couple of weeks ago when we were putting away stoppage time equalisers I commented how we seemed to be so much fitter than any other team we played, and were able to keep going right to the end when others were blowing. The last two games have shown another side of that - matching teams with 11 men despite being a man down for large portions of the games.

I know it's all ifs and buts, BUT you have to think if we had held on for wins against Scunthorpe and Barnsley, nicked a goal against 10-man Burton and perhaps held out against Gillingham, we would be right in the mix for that last playoff spot - even with that horrendous start to the year. Really fine margins this season, and I can't wait for next now. Full faith in Robinson and the side he has created.

Didnt we play some our best football in the 0-0 against Wimbledon a well?

We’ve drawn way too many away....how many of them were games we dominated?

Agree, we could easily be in the playoff spots right now

Didn't go to the game,no idea how it went.
But according to the the BBC, 54% possession,with 10 men for nearly an hour!!

If thats a true reflection,great performance.

Pinched this of the Shrews forum

Interesting comments from Karl Robinson.

www.banburycake.co.uk/sport/17590122.oxford-uniteds-ten-man-comeback-at-shrewsbury-town-fuelled-by-anger/

Town's second goal came after Ahmed Kashi's straight red card, which Robinson disputed, as well as the penalty decision for the hosts' first goal.

And the United boss also hinted at a fracas in the tunnel at half-time which fanned the flames - with Whyte's second-half double securing the points.

He said: "It’s not a sending off, it’s a tackle. The pitch was dry and long, bobbly.

"It’s popped up and he’s tried to reach it with his toe.

"You never want to see a player get injured, but what made it worse was the two shin pads collided.

"That was my worry initially and then I was furious at the referee for my player getting sent off."

He added: "A few things happened in the tunnel at half-time which were horrendous. It doesn’t half get you back up.

"We were angry with a number of different things, maybe not to do with their players, but other things.

"It became a siege mentality and tactically we got it right."

Read more: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/99099/oxford-match-thread?page=2#ixzz5lqXC02YO

Interesting about a tunnel fracas

With Kashi and Mackie, we've got players that will go toe to toe with anyone, and that was something we missed at the beginning of the season. We are taking the fight to others, and no surprise to see that our improved results have also seen an increase in bookings and reds. Whilst not ideal, doing the dirty stuff well gives you the freedom to do the pretty stuff too. A half time tear up shows how we get under the skin of others and stand up to whatever they throw at us, and that's no bad thing.

Cue our resident expect crying about hot headed idiots!!!

Just got back. Hurrah, living on the Shropshire border, I hate going to Shrewsbury and losing every time. Penalty was a dive, so we deserve to win in a karma type way. Really pleased for Gavin Whyte. Bravo all round. The boy can go to school next week with his head held high for once!

Looking at the highlights;
1. Possible handball Fromm Whyte for our first
2. Never a pen. Player went down very easily.
3. Can’t blame Stevens for the second as someone on here suggested.
4. Whyte took his goals well
5. Deserved red card for Kashi

• React
Reactions: MJB
From the highlights, the penalty looked pretty soft. However the red card looked fair enough, if you pause it you can see his foot is above the ball and it was quite a lunge. Whyte's third goal was very well taken, the defender was about to get there and he toe-poked it with the outside of his right foot. I think that caught Mitchell by surprise as he was probably expecting the ball to run a bit further and for Whyte to hit it with his left foot. Not exactly the best way to defend against quick strikers though is it, playing so high up the pitch?

With Kashi and Mackie, we've got players that will go toe to toe with anyone, and that was something we missed at the beginning of the season. We are taking the fight to others, and no surprise to see that our improved results have also seen an increase in bookings and reds. Whilst not ideal, doing the dirty stuff well gives you the freedom to do the pretty stuff too. A half time tear up shows how we get under the skin of others and stand up to whatever they throw at us, and that's no bad thing.

Cue our resident expect crying about hot headed idiots!!!
It’s ‘expert’.

Don't spoil the party.
I don't think there's anyone on here who won't give KR credit for what he's achieved over these last8 matches. There was plenty of reason to doubt him earlier in the season, and without being able to see into the future that seems fair enough.

Let's just enjoy where we are now. Apart from anything else, winning three matches with a man down is a he'll of an achievement.

COYY
It's one thing doubting a manager, particularly with the start we had, but I would have thought that we'd have learned from our experience with Michael Appleton. You've GOT to give managers time, particularly with the horrendous injury situation we started the season with. I'm so pleased that Tiger, for all his financial issues, had the good sense not to get rid of him when many were calling for his head.

As you might expect from this recent run, over the last 10 games we're 3rd in the form table. But more impressive even than that is the fact that over the last 30 games we're 6th in the form table. This run is no fluke, but Karl Robinson having the luxury to pick from a pretty full slate of players and the ability to select a good starting team and make excellent substitutions.

We've got ourselves a good manager and a good team. I just hope that we can keep as many as possible for next year.

Back
Top Bottom