Away Match Day Thread +++ 22/02/20 Ipswich Town v OUFC+++

There were 2/3 moments in the first half where the ball just didn't quite fall right for them, those frustrating times of which one being a square pass in the box hit the heel (i think) of one of theirs and instead of a free shot on goal for the intended recipient we were able to clear..Another was similar to us v sunderland when in a crowded box the ball bobbled everywhere..there was also a virtual free header back post (Kean?) and 1 or 2 other decent balls in that flashed across the box.
2nd half one of theirs didn't anticipate our defender missing it (our defender bizarely ducked) and it hit their strikers shin before falling to Easty.
So they had their moments but as Mick Mills said they were just not clinical enough
Yes, it is true that the ball didn't fall for them - but that happens to teams all the time. I'm not sure he can claim those ought to have been taken to put them two or three up. I remember many managers of ours over the years claiming that if we'd 'taken all our chances' we'd have won 5-3 instead of being thumped 3-0! :) And Taylor had a decent chance to make it 2-0 in the second half - maybe Lambert ought to be thankful ;)

Yes, it is true that the ball didn't fall for them - but that happens to teams all the time. I'm not sure he can claim those ought to have been taken to put them two or three up. I remember many managers of ours over the years claiming that if we'd 'taken all our chances' we'd have won 5-3 instead of being thumped 3-0! :) And Taylor had a decent chance to make it 2-0 in the second half - maybe Lambert ought to be thankful ;)

yep not forgetting our 4 on 3 that was about to be 5 v 3 until we somehow ballsed it up.

I was seriously concerned up until we scored, they were putting in some excellent corners and I was thinking their gonna get one in a minute. Then Ruffs, Cam Bran, James H and Matty combine some lovely passes to cut them apart. Happy Days

Paul Lambert is a comedian - no wonder the locals aren't happy as they'd like a proper manager rather a joker. I don't know why clubs employ him as the same thing happens again and again. He sets up his teams to not close, makes up fantasy moans and lacks the emotional intelligence to get around it. A relationship made for each other

Great win yesterday.
the 1st half we struggled and didn’t play that well but 2nd half we were brilliant. Dug in, battled, ball into the corner to see the game out, etc. Great for the fans to see the passion at the end. All of the players looked genuinely thrilled with the win. Really think we can get 6 points in the next two games and creep back into the playoffs again.

On a different subject, how brilliant was it to travel to NUFC and Ipswich which both have grounds in the town centre (virtually). Loads of pubs, eating places, parking was easy, etc. So many clubs have out the town stadiums now and the experience of going to those places is so different. These clubs probably don’t realise how good they have it. Although I love the club, The match day experience is just poor-especially since the priory has gone.

That will be from all those clear cut chances they made then? Shame RadOx didn't commentate on them and Sky have edited them all out of the highlights, I would like to know about them! Lambert needs a quick upturn in Ipswich's form or he will be looking for a new job in a few weeks...

He recently signed a new long term contract for the next 4 seasons iirc.

"That second half was abysmal. Just dreadful. By the end we were playing like a team three goals down; one that had a duty to keep going and trying to salvage something, but with no real hope or belief that it could happen. Oxford are billed as an exceptional passing team but here they just did a job on us, and did it brilliantly under little strain. If only we had different sides to us like that. I never once felt we would score."

Did enjoy reading this about us from one of the Ipswich forums. It is nice that we are showing different sides to our game.

ERZVrZaXsAYgkJe

Having seen the match yesterday, I know a lot of Ipswich fans were very unhappy with the game. We won so many 50/50 balls I could understand their frustration, a few of them I know want Lambert gone but of course he has just signed a five year contract.
i can’t see either of us making the Automatics because of Peterborough and Sunderland winning so many.
Rotherham, Coventry and Portsmouth are looking set for play offs. Hopefully, Wycombe will implode.
All in all it was a very enjoyable game and I know Ipswich could have been 2-0 up after 30 minutes.
It was certainly good to be able to get an easy tea at half time, and to be able to easily get to the car in a couple of minutes and away quickly after the match

i can’t see either of us making the Automatics because of Peterborough and Sunderland winning so many.
Rotherham, Coventry and Portsmouth are looking set for play offs. Hopefully, Wycombe will implode.
Because of Peterborough? Win on Tuesday and we are just one point behind them, on same games played.

Because of Peterborough? Win on Tuesday and we are just one point behind them, on same games played.
Plus Coventry are 5 points ahead of Peterborough with 2 games in hand! I would say that Rotherham and Cov are the two likely to go up with any 4 from about 7 making the playoffs.

Our goal was superb but I keep thinking that it would have been even better artistically if Taylor had lashed it in first time without taking the extra touch.

On the other hand he probably saw that he had plenty of time to make sure he got his shot on target.

Our goal was superb but I keep thinking that it would have been even better artistically if Taylor had lashed it in first time without taking the extra touch.

On the other hand he probably saw that he had plenty of time to make sure he got his shot on target.

I have to admit that I'd have been just as happy seeing the ball bounce off his a**e and trickle over the line!!

Last edited:
Our goal was good. My Ipswich friend said oh no here’s a goal, three passes later and it was.
We are playing some great stuff. The midfield was very good yesterday and the defenders were at their best. I was reminded how commanding they were at the back.
And I am not sure it was mentioned, Eastwood had a very good game yesterday

Back
Top Bottom