Away Match Day Thread +++ 22/02/20 Ipswich Town v OUFC+++

Certainly not irredeemably useless - but after starting with a great run after Cadden left, Long did have a couple of bad games (which contributed to us shipping 6 in two).

Until Forde plays badly, he's the man in possession of the RB spot. And I think it would be hard to argue that he doesn't offer more going forwards. He takes most of the corners for starters, and we got much closer to scoring from those against Sunderland/AFCW than we have for a while!
This season has seen Long have his longest run in the side, and by far the most overall involvement in the first team, he's not used to playing so regularly, but has been outstanding when called upon, but it was inevitable he would have a dip eventually, and I find it ludicrous that after two bad games, he's being written off, and it's being suggested a midfielder, who's only just returned from injury should replace him.

Like many players, Long was starting to look exhausted, and like others, it was effecting his form, and he needed and deserved a rest, but for me, he's got to be our first choice right back for the rest of the season, and hopefully now he's had a rest for a couple of games, he'll be given the chance he deserves to regain the form that gained him so much praise up until a few games ago

I was in suffolk a couple of weeks ago and reading the fans comments in the local rag was a bit hilarious. "What a disaster how can the club of muhren thyssen bobby robson and alf ramsay be reduced to the kick and rush league one level with the likes of accrington and fleetwood it will be a total disaster if we dont go up this year etc etc" Raised a chuckle!

This season has seen Long have his longest run in the side, and by far the most overall involvement in the first team, he's not used to playing so regularly, but has been outstanding when called upon, but it was inevitable he would have a dip eventually, and I find it ludicrous that after two bad games, he's being written off, and it's being suggested a midfielder, who's only just returned from injury should replace him.

Like many players, Long was starting to look exhausted, and like others, it was effecting his form, and he needed and deserved a rest, but for me, he's got to be our first choice right back for the rest of the season, and hopefully now he's had a rest for a couple of games, he'll be given the chance he deserves to regain the form that gained him so much praise up until a few games ago

I don't think anyone's writing Sam Long off - he's certainly still got a part to play for Oxford this season, and I hope we're putting a contract extension in front of him (if we haven't done so already). Honestly, I expect we will see him in central defense before too long, as I can't imagine Dickie can last too many games before another yellow, and then a two game suspension.

But you seem to be writing Anthony Forde off as a viable right back!?
Despite the fact that in the two games he's played, we've only conceded a solitary goal - which itself was a first minute set piece sucker punch. And his dead ball delivery has been excellent.

Fact is, in a strong, competitive squad, noone should be an automatic selection.
And if you have a couple of bad games (as I think we all acknowledge that Sam Long did - I'm sure you're right that tiredness played a part, but other players [Rob Dickie or Mark Sykes, for instance] have played just as many games this calendar year without the same drop in form), and you lose your place, you shouldn't expect to get it back just because you've had a bit of a rest.
If Forde struggles, then yes - Sam Long should come back in. But until then, Long can bide his time.

I don't think anyone's writing Sam Long off - he's certainly still got a part to play for Oxford this season, and I hope we're putting a contract extension in front of him (if we haven't done so already). Honestly, I expect we will see him in central defense before too long, as I can't imagine Dickie can last too many games before another yellow, and then a two game suspension.

Despite the fact that in the two games he's played, we've only conceded a solitary goal - which itself was a first minute set piece sucker punch. And his dead ball delivery has been excellent.

Fact is, in a strong, competitive squad, noone should be an automatic selection.
And if you have a couple of bad games (as I think we all acknowledge that Sam Long did - I'm sure you're right that tiredness played a part, but other players [Rob Dickie or Mark Sykes, for instance] have played just as many games this calendar year without the same drop in form), and you lose your place, you shouldn't expect to get it back just because you've had a bit of a rest.
If Forde struggles, then yes - Sam Long should come back in. But until then, Long can bide his time.

more so now Nico Jones has been loaned to Oxford City ( hes in 'Citys matchday squad for tomorrows match)

don’t think many are writing off either but his dead ball still hasn’t assisted in a goal!
as in any other position or any other players that are being scrutinised they have their strengths and weaknesses

Last edited:
Hope I am completely wrong but can see a defeat here..

At no point have I written off Forde as a viable right back, I've actually been very impressed, and have always said that I think he's a very useful player, but he's only just returned from a long injury layoff, so it might not be wise to expect him to play 3 games in 7 days anyway.

Long on the other hand, whenever called upon, has been immense all season, but due to obvious fatigue, has had a dip in form recently, as have several players, but I feel after a much earned rest, he deserves to remain first choice, if he then continues to struggle, then Forde has proved he can step in.

I think Forde needs to start as the right back for the game. He definitely offers more to the right back position than Sam Long who is decent at defending but doesn't offer anything substantial in attacking terms, which is counter productive to the role/tactics our full-backs need to play.

We've seen Forde play at RB literally twice, one of which was against literally the worst side we've seen at the KassStad this year. He has yet to be properly tested in his new position. Is Ipswich really the place to continue the experiment? Why are people suddenly acting as if Long is irredeemably useless and half the player Forde is?
You obviously didn’t go to Burton

At no point have I written off Forde as a viable right back, I've actually been very impressed, and have always said that I think he's a very useful player, but he's only just returned from a long injury layoff, so it might not be wise to expect him to play 3 games in 7 days anyway.

Long on the other hand, whenever called upon, has been immense all season, but due to obvious fatigue, has had a dip in form recently, as have several players, but I feel after a much earned rest, he deserves to remain first choice, if he then continues to struggle, then Forde has proved he can step in.

to say Long has been immense is a bit much [emoji1787] he’s been ok, nothing more

Playing 90 minutes on a Saturday then 90 minutes on a Tuesday can take it out of you if you're just returning from injury. He's looked good playing RB, but we have to use our squad sensibly, which includes not starting some players even if they're in a decent run of form. Long didn't play in either of the last two games, so it shouldn't be controversial that people are calling for him to start this one.

Stick with the team that started Tuesday and go out with the same energy and aggression and we might just win it.

Playing 90 minutes on a Saturday then 90 minutes on a Tuesday can take it out of you if you're just returning from injury. He's looked good playing RB, but we have to use our squad sensibly, which includes not starting some players even if they're in a decent run of form. Long didn't play in either of the last two games, so it shouldn't be controversial that people are calling for him to start this one.
Too many managers on this forum ?

I believe the plan was for Sam Long to sit out a couple of games and see where we are. He is the best right back we have, but not as good in the wing back role that Cadden and Forde were playing. There is certainly an argument to go with your mist defensively sound line up away to Ipswich, which would see Long return. But stability is also important and it would be hard to see what Forde has done wrong over the last 2 games.

The bigger issue would be seeing where Gortin fits in as I'm sure he'll come back into the starting line up. I would guess that he would come into the middle with Browne replacing either Sykes or Holland on the wings. This would be harsh on either being dropped but sometimes you have to set up to not be beat before looking for the win.

Ipswich are there for the taking but I can see why we could bring Long and Gorrin in to secure a point, before using Forde and Holland/Sykes to hit them on the break.

Either way, think a point is the least we'll pick up, and 3 points will put us right back in the mix.

I believe the plan was for Sam Long to sit out a couple of games and see where we are. He is the best right back we have, but not as good in the wing back role that Cadden and Forde were playing. There is certainly an argument to go with your mist defensively sound line up away to Ipswich, which would see Long return. But stability is also important and it would be hard to see what Forde has done wrong over the last 2 games.

The bigger issue would be seeing where Gortin fits in as I'm sure he'll come back into the starting line up. I would guess that he would come into the middle with Browne replacing either Sykes or Holland on the wings. This would be harsh on either being dropped but sometimes you have to set up to not be beat before looking for the win.

Ipswich are there for the taking but I can see why we could bring Long and Gorrin in to secure a point, before using Forde and Holland/Sykes to hit them on the break.

Either way, think a point is the least we'll pick up, and 3 points will put us right back in the mix.

totally agree, too many on here just see black and white and are so blinkered in their thinking.

Back
Top Bottom