Away Match Day Thread +++ 22/02/20 Ipswich Town v OUFC+++

Yeah, relegated by us ?. Their fans were dancing on the pitch celebrating staying up after that game, whilst coining the Oxford fans. Was so satisfying to relegate them when we beat Arsenal in our last game.
A rather rotund Cooper in goal if memory serves me correctly. Would not last long in today's game with all this sports science business.

For anyone taking the train and presumably pass in through London to get there, there’s engineering works taking place on the line to Ipswich.

Rail replacement buses will have to be used to account for extra time getting there.

Eastwood
Forde Dickie Moore Ruffels
Browne Gorrin Brannagan
Henry Taylor Holland
Browne and Henry can interchange if needed, but I love seeing Browne drive through the middle from central midfield. Cam as box to box and Gorrin covering.
Henry and Taylor have to start if fit. Sykes and Holland are both good options, I would happily start either.

Eastwood
Long Dickie Moore Ruffels
Browne Brannagan Sykes
Henry Taylor Holland

SUBS: Agyei, Mackie, Forde, Gorrin, Thorne, Jones, Stevens
The side from Tuesday performed amazingly, and deserves another run out, however, I would rest Forde, as he's surely not ready to play 3 games in a week, so soon after a long injury layoff?

Henry has to play further forward, it's where he's most effective, and in the last game, him playing in the front three, and our improved attacking threat was no coincidence.

Repeat performance from Tuesday please, go for the throat, get a couple of goals, then put Gorrin on to shut up shop, then Agyei to stretch them, then Mackie to do their heads in!

COYY

Despite only having ever once previously having won at Potman rd in the past, Im still feeling we'll nick the 3points tomorrow and double our wins there

OM look back at the last U's win there ...

Easty
Gorrin
Henry CB
Sykes Taylor Holland​

Suspect KR's comments about potentially not including Gorrin are a bit of a smoke screen, he absolutely has to play. Even against Wombles that midfield on Tuesday was nearly caught out a few times. We need more balance against the better teams, especially away from home.

I would rather have the defensive solidity of Long than Forde in this match. Plus, with CB and Henry getting back to their best, we have more of a controlling and attacking midfield than we did with them out, so the lack of 'out ball' out wide as often wont be as much of a problem. Again, Forde was fine for a home game against the side 20th in the league, but I worry he might get found out against the better sides. Plus, if Garbutt still plays wide left for Ipswich, Long will know his style of play from last year, perhaps giving him an advantage.

Left wing, I'm enjoying the growing relationship of Holland and Ruffels and think it would be counterproductive to shoehorn in Browne when Holland has been improving with every game wide left. You could start Browne in place of Sykes, but I prefer the option of having Browne's raw athleticism off the bench. Along with Agyei, we now have subs that can come on and really terrify tiring defences with their pace, power and finishing ability.

Have a feeling this game will be a sliding doors moment in our season. Win and, along with our remaining fixtures and the bounce from Tuesday, I think we look really good for playoffs. Lose and we're too far behind not just numerically, but mentally too: it would be yet another loss to our promotion rivals, and even if we were to get to the playoffs, I doubt we'd make any great fist of them.
Yup: this. I also think KR is not being entirely “truthful” in suggesting Gorrin will be left out. He’ll play.

Eastwood
Brannagan Gorrin Browne
Henry Taylor Holland

1-2, Taylor + Browne

Selection headaches. I would prefer Gorrin to come straight back in displacing Browne or Holland to the bench and allowing Cam Bran and Henry to link up. Which ever is benched can be a real impact player against a fatiguing Ipswich.
Drop Browne? Would show a complete lack of ambition IMO, if fit he simply has to start drives the team forward.

A lot of people dropping Forde Mellowyellow? You didn’t come back to me on my post you queried the other day? ??

Btw to clear it up it wasn’t me picking the team just what I thought KR was thinking.

Easty
Gorrin
Henry CB
Sykes Taylor Holland​

Suspect KR's comments about potentially not including Gorrin are a bit of a smoke screen, he absolutely has to play. Even against Wombles that midfield on Tuesday was nearly caught out a few times. We need more balance against the better teams, especially away from home.

I would rather have the defensive solidity of Long than Forde in this match. Plus, with CB and Henry getting back to their best, we have more of a controlling and attacking midfield than we did with them out, so the lack of 'out ball' out wide as often wont be as much of a problem. Again, Forde was fine for a home game against the side 20th in the league, but I worry he might get found out against the better sides. Plus, if Garbutt still plays wide left for Ipswich, Long will know his style of play from last year, perhaps giving him an advantage.

Left wing, I'm enjoying the growing relationship of Holland and Ruffels and think it would be counterproductive to shoehorn in Browne when Holland has been improving with every game wide left. You could start Browne in place of Sykes, but I prefer the option of having Browne's raw athleticism off the bench. Along with Agyei, we now have subs that can come on and really terrify tiring defences with their pace, power and finishing ability.

Have a feeling this game will be a sliding doors moment in our season. Win and, along with our remaining fixtures and the bounce from Tuesday, I think we look really good for playoffs. Lose and we're too far behind not just numerically, but mentally too: it would be yet another loss to our promotion rivals, and even if we were to get to the playoffs, I doubt we'd make any great fist of them.
I Think there are 0 chances of Sam Long starting, defensive solidity? defiantly wasn't the case which led him to be dropped.

• React
Reactions: ljs
We've seen Forde play at RB literally twice, one of which was against literally the worst side we've seen at the KassStad this year. He has yet to be properly tested in his new position. Is Ipswich really the place to continue the experiment? Why are people suddenly acting as if Long is irredeemably useless and half the player Forde is?

I cant see him changing a winning side, Forde seems to offer more than Long.

find out Saturday on KRs thinking I guess. Forde “seems to” is the key as no assists in two games so far and maybe as it was two home games compared to two away games it’s unfair to judge on Longs “poor” performances?

A rather rotund Cooper in goal if memory serves me correctly. Would not last long in today's game with all this sports science business.
You’re right. I was there, and the Oxford contingent behind their goal was chanting out ‘there’s only one Tommy Cooper” and coming course after the three home games with six points they ended up relegated

Ipswich have a poor home record this season, only 6 wins out of 14 home games.
We should be able to make it 6 out of 15 if we have play-off hopes. COYY.

Why are people suddenly acting as if Long is irredeemably useless and half the player Forde is?

Certainly not irredeemably useless - but after starting with a great run after Cadden left, Long did have a couple of bad games (which contributed to us shipping 6 in two).

Until Forde plays badly, he's the man in possession of the RB spot. And I think it would be hard to argue that he doesn't offer more going forwards. He takes most of the corners for starters, and we got much closer to scoring from those against Sunderland/AFCW than we have for a while!

Back
Top Bottom