Home Match Day Thread 22/01/2022 L1: OUFC v Sheffield Wednesday

If we are talking pointing and good use of fingers can we make a late case for the right reverend Julian Alsop ?

Having thought about yesterday...

We were very poor in the first 30 minutes (although KR said he thought we were good in the first 10 - don't agree at all), and fortunate to go in level.
As seems to be the case so often with this team, we can be poor in one half and pretty good in the other - the change of formation worked well, so kudos to KR for that. Perhaps we needed to do it earlier? It was painfully obvious something needed to change.

We were our own worst enemy at times - in the first half especially, the passing was poor (some of the passing along the back was risky to sat the least - all game long) meaning we didn't keep the ball properly, we were too slow (that was one of the things that improved in the second half) and some of the 'safe' mindset of the players meant we were more likely to go backwards than forwards when we had the ball! Our free kick especially are a b****r's muddle - what is the point of the free kick taker passing it backwards five yards to a team mate who then just passes it back to the original player - who is now being closed down and is facing the wrong way? Very odd.

As for the players:

The great McGuane debate. Was he good or awful? Both! He *did* play well BUT as a CDM he simply doesn't cut the mustard. He isn't a tackler, and (understandably) is out of position much of the time. However - what he did was vey good in isolation and did affect the game.

McNally made a positive difference, Sykes played very well as a wing back in the rejigged formation, Bodin played the best he has for us, glad Taylor scored a couple - he is *so* important to us. I'm afraid that (brilliant as it was!) one goal doesn't make Winnall the second striker we are all looking for - but he did put himself about well. I know he is probably doing it under orders, but some of Stevens' distribution had me covering my eyes! Chipping the ball out wide to a player being swiftly closed down isn't the thing to do - orders or no orders. Seddon. Hmm. He needs to actually defend or we need a midfielder in front of him who is happy to and able to drop back and cover when he is up the pitch. That player is not the almost completely anonymous Holland - you could have been forgiven for not realising he was on the pitch for much of the time.

I listened to KRs thoughts after the game and didn't really understand what he was going on about. But I am very glad he is being more cautious about naming names and promising timescales when talking about transfers.

Important win though, when all is said and done - let's hope we take the lessons of the second half and apply them to upcoming matches. I love a late winner!

Although KR changed the formation at half time something needed to be sorted way before then as we should have been 3 down
What concerns me is that he doesn’t get his players around him at the first opportunity and point out what they need to do to combat the threat

Although KR changed the formation at half time something needed to be sorted way before then as we should have been 3 down
What concerns me is that he doesn’t get his players around him at the first opportunity and point out what they need to do to combat the threat
He moved to 3 at the back 10 minutes before half time according to Steve K on RO

He moved to 3 at the back 10 minutes before half time according to Steve K on RO

Yep. From the East Stand you could easily see that Long dropped into a three at the back before half-time.

Rothwell is a funny one in terms of his time at Oxford. He was clearly talented and there were often some impressive performances, but I don't think we ever got the best out of him, probably due to also having Lundstram, Ledson, Sercombe and of course Xemi at the same time.

Rothwell also got lots of niggly injuries which stopped him getting long runs in the team.

Back
Top Bottom