Away Match Day Thread +++ 22/01/2019 Bury v OUFC Checkatrade Trophy +++

I’m going to put my head on the line and go with the ‘stick up for KR’ today.

I don’t think he did a lot wrong with the line up. A couple of tweaks but largely our best XI and with no game on Saturday a chance to really go for it. Why not stick a decent team out?

The defence that kept Pompey out went to pieces and experienced heads didn’t do their jobs. Even our normally reliable goalkeeper had a howler. We learned that Kashi and Carruthers aren’t match fit (we knew that already in all likelihood) and that Eastwood needs some recovery time. We also now know how good Whyte and Mousinho are when they aren’t in the side.

It’s a painful way to exit the trophy but it’s still the trophy regardless. I’m annoyed about it but the histrionics on here are something else. We beat Pompey at the weekend, folks!

No, it’s not the fact that it’s just the trophy at all. We had more or less the same team out as Saturday, so therefore you would expect a similar effort/performance.
Thats giving Kr and the players a hiding place.

No histrionics at all, it was as bad as anything I’ve seen this season, combined with the worst of clotet.
Sideways at the back, where the ball’s getting intercepted. No options when going forward, then no target man to aim for, when the ball was put into the box

No, it’s not the fact that it’s just the trophy at all. We had more or less the same team out as Saturday, so therefore you would expect a similar effort/performance.
Thats giving Kr and the players a hiding place.

No histrionics at all, it was as bad as anything I’ve seen this season, combined with the worst of clotet.
Sideways at the back, where the ball’s getting intercepted. No options when going forward, then no target man to aim for, when the ball was put into the box

We were s**t period. I have said for the last 2 seasons we need strikers, some on here are annoyed at that but f**k it until we sign suitable strikers we ain’t going to do very well. This tonight made us look at best a mediocre L2 side and until tiger takes a hit and dig a deep into his pocket and his f we breach the ffp rule then so be it but only to make us a 3/4 decent L1 side.

Last edited:
FWIW my verdict of the game.

Surprised we went as strong as we did, but you can understand considering we don’t have a game Saturday.

First 10-5 minutes we actually looked pretty good. Bury could hardly get out and we dominated possession.

Eastwood howler for the first one. Good run by Brown for the penalty. It was pretty much Bury for the rest of the first half. They seemed to have a purpose and looked dangerous every time they came forward.

Kashi was very mixed. Won the ball back few times, then played a ridiculous square pass and gave the ball away in dangerous areas. Didn’t look Match sharp either.

Dickie was the biggest worry for me. Looked like he was well out of his depth. Sloppy on the ball and turned like the QEII.

Carruthers was a bright spark in patches and took his goal well.

They are a very good Bury side, who score lots of goals and will be in League One next season. Danny Mayor will not be there either, far too good. The most concerning thing is how easily they cut through us. Mousinho’s stock tries tonight without even playing.

This is the most worrying post on this thread.....22 Jan and he's watching players on the telly. It's like he only realised we needed a striker or two when the window opened on 1 Jan and not at any time in the 2 months before FFS.

In his defence, what’s he meant to do on the day of a game when all matches will be taking place the very same time as ours? Flip around and he’s being proactive in his time. If those 4 hours have convinced him of going for the player then it’s time well spent.

In his defence, what’s he meant to do on the day of a game when all matches will be taking place the very same time as ours? Flip around and he’s being proactive in his time. If those 4 hours have convinced him of going for the player then it’s time well spent.

We should already have had a number of targets identified/lined up which I guess we did, especially as it’s an area we’ve clearly had to address since last season, but by this latest comment it would suggest that if we did have these targets lined up there’s either now a risk that it won’t happen or worse that they’re now not coming here for one reason or another.

We should already have had a number of targets identified/lined up which I guess we did, especially as it’s an area we’ve clearly had to address since last season, but by this latest comment it would suggest that if we did have these targets lined up there’s either now a risk that it won’t happen or worse that they’re now not coming here for one reason or another.
I think this is the problem. Plenty of targets have been “identified” but none so far want to join a struggling league one team with an unreliable and out-of-touch management structure and an uncertain future. I wouldn’t.

This is the most worrying post on this thread.....22 Jan and he's watching players on the telly. It's like he only realised we needed a striker or two when the window opened on 1 Jan and not at any time in the 2 months before FFS.

Agree but if you don’t have a proper scouting system in place maybe that is what KR has to do.

I’m one of his biggest critics but it looks to me like he has too much on his plate.

I would like to know what our scouting structure is, and will ask the question in this new 5 minute slot. If you don’t get the Recruitment right it is an uphill battle from day one.

Sure some on here will know but:-

Do we have a Head of Recruitment?
Do we have regional scouts, even if they are expenses only?
Are we relying on informal tip offs and / or players already known by KR , Derry or even Tiger (eg Reading players).

The 4 hours comment, amongst others, seems to point to the scouting structure being non existent.

Another bit of gesture politics at its very worse.
Why refund them? Its the tinpot trophy, it serves them right for going. Are they refunding folk who paid £10 for iplayer as well?
If you make the players pay is it shared between everyone who played? Everyone in the squad? Is KR chipping in? What if a few say "No Guv I played alright"?
Complete and utter shambles in terms of management of a group of people.
If the chef can`t take the heat the kitchen isn`t the place for him.

Why refund them? Its the tinpot trophy, it serves them right for going. Are they refunding folk who paid £10 for iplayer as well?
If you make the players pay is it shared between everyone who played? Everyone in the squad? Is KR chipping in? What if a few say "No Guv I played alright"?
"serves them right for going"? A pitiful statement.

Agree but if you don’t have a proper scouting system in place maybe that is what KR has to do.

I’m one of his biggest critics but it looks to me like he has too much on his plate.

I would like to know what our scouting structure is, and will ask the question in this new 5 minute slot. If you don’t get the Recruitment right it is an uphill battle from day one.

Sure some on here will know but:-

Do we have a Head of Recruitment?
Do we have regional scouts, even if they are expenses only?
Are we relying on informal tip offs and / or players already known by KR , Derry or even Tiger (eg Reading players).

The 4 hours comment, amongst others, seems to point to the scouting structure being non existent.

Mark Thomas is head of performance and recruitment analysis working alongside Dan Bond who is also strength and conditioning based.

Not going to gloss over what was an extremely poor performance, but it was the tinpot trophy.
Let’s just save our vitriol for where it truly counts guys. We have some huge games coming up that will most likely define our season, but this was NOT one of them however shite it was.

Those same players are now required to get us out of the s**t. The time to hit the angry button is when we fail to get results that affect our league status... Anything other than that truly does not matter.

Not going to gloss over what was an extremely poor performance, but it was the tinpot trophy.
Let’s just save our vitriol for where it truly counts guys. We have some huge games coming up that will most likely define our season, but this was NOT one of them however shite it was.
I don't think there are too many (except maybe Tiger's bank manager!) who are that upset that we are out of, as you rightly say, the tinpot trophy.

The worry is the way we played (I wasn't there Jerome, but listened to it and have read the reports from those who were) - especially given the strength of the team, and the actually fairly over-the-top, bizarre reaction of the manager afterwards, which gave the impression that there was a lot more riding on the result than was obvious. Maybe the strength of the team selected hints at that as well?

Of course the concern is that the Portsmouth match was the exception rather than the start of a revival, which is why people are posting as they are. Hopefully significant reinforcements will arrive before Barnsley.

Serves them.right for going to fellow supporters?
Disgraceful comment in my view.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Oh well, I had restricted my away game support to selected cup/trophy games anyway......

Glad I didn't select that one.

Are people really moaning about the players doing a good thing and paying back the 100 fans who went last night?!
So they should pay them back. Watching the game last night you could see the players weren’t bothered and it was a game they didn’t fancy in those conditions!
I’ve said it before and I’ve said it again, the players have got off lightly so far this season but Robinson is right, they were a disgrace last night!

Serves them.right for going to fellow supporters?
Disgraceful comment in my view.

Matter of opinion old fruit, its what forums are for....discussion.
I don`t like the Tinpot trophy and folk going will justify its format & existence.
We don`t get refunds for league games, FA Cups etc etc etc when the team play sh**, I can remember going to Orient when the team effectively played to get the manager sacked............ no refund.
I`ve seen plenty of games with abysmal performances..... no refund.
It`s part of the choices made.

We beat Pompey yes, that makes this performance even worse to take. We are so inconsistent it’s unbelievable. The mistakes these players keep making, in industry or any normal job with responsibilities they would be disciplined or even sacked. They’ve ruined my Christmas and new year and now my holiday too!

Yes but so is nearly every team in League One, that's why they are there! Ask Portsmouth fans, couldn't stop winning, then lost two on the trot including to us when we hadn't won for a month and last night they beat a promotion rival......go figure.

Are people really moaning about the players doing a good thing and paying back the 100 fans who went last night?!
So they should pay them back. Watching the game last night you could see the players weren’t bothered and it was a game they didn’t fancy in those conditions!
I’ve said it before and I’ve said it again, the players have got off lightly so far this season but Robinson is right, they were a disgrace last night!
Some people are complaining about everything at the moment...
There have been some frankly ludicrous comments and made up stories/ assumptions on here.

Back
Top Bottom