Away Match Day Thread 21/5/2021 Playoff L1 Blackpool FC V OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said, the most disappointing thing about Tuesday for me (other than the result and performance) was KR’s seeming failure to learn anything from the 2-0 League defeat in March.

We knew they would employ a high press and be strong at set pieces. Both goals in March came from corners....the second corner courtesy of a ridiculous pass by Kelly towards Hanson, which went nowhere near him and Kelly barely has played for us since). The first goal on Tuesday came from a set piece given away needlessly.

Hanson has no confidence to make a pass or take on a player or perhaps he was instructed not to. He and high presses don’t mix. He just played backwards or sideways or hoofs the ball up the line. Forde simply has to play tonight. Our entire right side was a disaster on Tuesday and it makes us easy to defend against when Blackpool only have to worry about Barker.

As others have commented, one would hope KR spent some time in the 10 days after the Burton game looking at how teams like Ipswich comfortably beat Blackpool twice or how Rochdale beat them in the run-in but there was little to no evidence of that on Tuesday. It seemed to be that we’ve won 6 of the last 7 so let them worry about us which is strange given our record against the top 6 this year.

I don’t expect a 3-0 win, obviously, but I do expect KR to change something to give Blackpool something new to think about because employing the same tactics and formation for a third straight game and expecting a different result would be insanity. Three at the back or straight 442 is never going to happen under KR and you can’t play a brand new formation for the first time in the second leg of a playoff semi!! Could we see 4231 or the diamond formation that we occasionally used this year with two up front? They were clearly troubled by pace so let’s put some more pace on the field and try something different and perhaps we can get an early goal or one of them sent off early. Agyei has to start! I would play something like:

Stevens
Forde Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin Sykes
Agyei Henry Barker
Taylor

As North Melbourne Ox says, the one thing that gives me a little hope is that this team never knows when it is beaten. Let’s see that spirit tonight. COYY!
I'd actually love to see that starting lineup tonight, can't see it happening though I'm afraid!

No matter what happens, you’d think:

1) Forde starts at right back as he’s more attacking

2) Agyei gets some decent minutes

3) We don’t just do exactly the same thing again and hope for a different result

I’d rather see us lose 6-0 throwing caution to the wind than have the season wimper out in a meaningless draw.

“Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward”

Come on Oxford!!!

Well I don't feel the slightest bit nervous or tense today.
I was bricking it a couple of hours before kick off on Tuesday, but I'm totally resigned to our fate tonight, although quietly hoping for a miracle...

• React
Reactions: m
We definitely can do it - we’ve won by 3 goals or more plenty of times this season - but it’s hard to imagine that Blackpool won’t at least have chances. And I personally agree with most people who seem to be saying that the way forwards is to get at them, run at them, give the likes of Barker, Shodipo and Agyei plenty of game time - but I just don’t think that’s KR’s way. He’ll stick to the same old team and formation, we’ll play the same way and get a 0-0 or 1-0 win or something...
unfortunately, I think you're probably right...

To anyone thinking 'I'm not going to bother tonight' just think of the epic story that we'll have to tell that you won't 😜

No matter what happens, you’d think:

1) Forde starts at right back as he’s more attacking

2) Agyei gets some decent minutes

3) We don’t just do exactly the same thing again and hope for a different result

But you know who our manager is

I ordered a curry early doors, got the beers in ready for the 6pm kick off, then wondered why RadOx didn't have the pre-game programme on 🤔

Still, the upside is that we haven't let any goals in so far.

I ordered a curry early doors, got the beers in ready for the 6pm kick off, then wondered why RadOx didn't have the pre-game programme on 🤔

Still, the upside is that we haven't let any goals in so far.
Oh well, thanks for the spoiler alert!

Ha ha, I avoided this place for a couple of days after Tuesday! I couldn't face all the recriminations, gloating, and arguments. Hopefully will be a bit calmer after tonight.
You were posting on here last night on the pre match thread so about half a day ago!!

I had a vision and after supporting Oxford for 25years I could see it happening
So we win tonight progress to the final unlikely I know BUT it’s Oxford and then in the final another unlikely thing to happen we meet Sunderland and then we lose so we have the joy and ecstasy from tonight ant boom in typical Oxford fashion we f**k up the final

f**k me, you're not Mr Motivator are you?

Let's be honest we need someone strong in the midfield I would think Gorrin will be in there but hopefully moving forwards. If Brannagan is fit forwards of him tonight with Agyei also on the pitch with Barker ,Lee or Henry and Taylor up top. We need to be only 2 behind with the 2nd half to play . Then it could be exciting just like the back nine at the masters 😊👍

Rolled in for a 6.30pm kick off............. oooppss.

Nice Turkish meal though, 2 x combo platters, Turkish flatbreads, dolma, humus, salad, 2 pepsi`s, Turkish tea and baklava - two people - £25. Sorted. <burp>
That's one of those treats I miss from my days in Hamburg. Drive into the Turkish district with some of the locals. Mate of mine was married to a girl of Turkish descent, always took us to the best cafes, fresh baklava, really fresh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom