Away Match Day Thread 21/5/2021 Playoff L1 Blackpool FC V OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't feel the slightest bit nervous or tense today.

Without wishing to dampen your enthusiasm about our ability to score goals, the reality is that the vast majority were scored against the poorer teams, and not those pushing for promotion. Entertaining certainly, but often just flat-track bullies. But no, let’s not give up yet.
And not against the best defensive team in League One either!!

I’d like to see us run at them. It was the only time they looked vulnerable on Tuesday. As others have said, I want to see some pride and passion from our players. Stop making stupid mistakes, tight at the back and give us something positive. Who knows what may happen?

As others have said, the most disappointing thing about Tuesday for me (other than the result and performance) was KR’s seeming failure to learn anything from the 2-0 League defeat in March.

We knew they would employ a high press and be strong at set pieces. Both goals in March came from corners....the second corner courtesy of a ridiculous pass by Kelly towards Hanson, which went nowhere near him and Kelly barely has played for us since). The first goal on Tuesday came from a set piece given away needlessly.

Hanson has no confidence to make a pass or take on a player or perhaps he was instructed not to. He and high presses don’t mix. He just played backwards or sideways or hoofs the ball up the line. Forde simply has to play tonight. Our entire right side was a disaster on Tuesday and it makes us easy to defend against when Blackpool only have to worry about Barker.

As others have commented, one would hope KR spent some time in the 10 days after the Burton game looking at how teams like Ipswich comfortably beat Blackpool twice or how Rochdale beat them in the run-in but there was little to no evidence of that on Tuesday. It seemed to be that we’ve won 6 of the last 7 so let them worry about us which is strange given our record against the top 6 this year.

I don’t expect a 3-0 win, obviously, but I do expect KR to change something to give Blackpool something new to think about because employing the same tactics and formation for a third straight game and expecting a different result would be insanity. Three at the back or straight 442 is never going to happen under KR and you can’t play a brand new formation for the first time in the second leg of a playoff semi!! Could we see 4231 or the diamond formation that we occasionally used this year with two up front? They were clearly troubled by pace so let’s put some more pace on the field and try something different and perhaps we can get an early goal or one of them sent off early. Agyei has to start! I would play something like:

Stevens
Forde Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin Sykes
Agyei Henry Barker
Taylor

As North Melbourne Ox says, the one thing that gives me a little hope is that this team never knows when it is beaten. Let’s see that spirit tonight. COYY!
Totally agree.

Its been the issue all year, how to transition from defence to attack during a high press. Their front 3 are excellent and cause all of our backline nerves. I like this 2 deeper formation as it may assist in this. Gorrin to add more solidity, Sykes as he seemed one of the few players keen to collect and move with the ball at his feet. There has to be players making themselves available from midfield, because if Hanson doesn't see an easy pass immediately, he shits himself and goes back.

Well I don't feel the slightest bit nervous or tense today.

Strange feeling this morning waking up, I actually forgot we were playing tonight, miracles do happen but I can't see it tonight. As long as we go there with a bit more fight then Tuesday is the main thing, if its another lack luster performance and we go out with another wimper i would hope Karl will announce the retained list and the ones not on it find there own way home!

We definitely can do it - we’ve won by 3 goals or more plenty of times this season - but it’s hard to imagine that Blackpool won’t at least have chances. And I personally agree with most people who seem to be saying that the way forwards is to get at them, run at them, give the likes of Barker, Shodipo and Agyei plenty of game time - but I just don’t think that’s KR’s way. He’ll stick to the same old team and formation, we’ll play the same way and get a 0-0 or 1-0 win or something...

We will win. Fine margins in the 1st game. Looking back Blackpool couldnt handle Sykes. Sykes get smashed going through one on one. Sykes goes clean through on the left. 3 players free in the middle. Hits the only remaining defender with his cross. 2nd half Sykes goes clean through. Defender pushes him as he shoots. It could easily have been 4-4.

Sykes to score 4 today!

Not nervous about tonight simply because it’s to big of a mountain to climb BUT if we strike early and get a couple of goals then I might start getting nervous as others have said I just want the lads to go out there put in a brave performance and have some pride

Get in their faces, get an early goal, and let's try make a game of this. I reckon they'll fly out the traps to try and kill the game early, which will open gaps for us. As good as Big Dan has been recently, he's also a complete monster coming off the bench to change a game so I'd be inclined to save him for the last 30 minutes if we are still in the game. On at half if its still 0-0. It HAS to be Forde in RB. No one had faith passing to Hanson all game. If CamBran is fit play him over Gorrin, same with Long over Forde.

Stevens
Forde Moore Atkinson Ruffs
Gorrin
Henry Sykes
Shodipo Taylor Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom