Home Match Day Thread +++ 21/12/19 OUFC v Wycombe Wanderers +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were very good first half even when it was 11 v 11, but was really disappointed with our 2nd half performance. Our tempo 2nd half was laboured which just goes to show how much we miss Gorrin when he’s not on the pitch.

Apart from his goal I also felt Henry had a poor game. Again he was too slow and complacent, but heard after the game that he still isn’t 100% fit so I guess that explains it.

Just felt we seemed to panic/force the ball at times in the 2nd half when all we needed to do was keep it and move the ball quickly, especially as they only had 10 men, but we seemed to drop to their level.

Was Looking forward to the 2nd half, especially kicking towards the London Road end, so felt disappointing in the end, but obviously glad we got the 3 points.

Didn’t think much of Wycombe at all, so if we can continue to play as we know we can play and keep our better players in January, then I guess we’ve got every chance of making the automatics, at worst the Play Offs!
Don’t know how you can say you didn’t think much of Wycombe, with ten men they made it very difficult for us. Despite all that possession we didn’t create many chances, and they could easily have got a late equaliser. It’s to our credit that they didn’t, the old Oxford would definitely have conceded at least one late on.

Heard from someone today that Dickie to Derby is done deal. Didn’t get a figure! IF he’s going then I hope it’s around £3M with add on’s

Have heard similar - Dickie's passing today was outrageous along with all the defensive stuff. Think 2mill ish, above that is decent

Would be a big loss, but Moore can step in - plus I trust our re ruitment team with the ££££

Lovely out-shithousing Wycombe and giving them some of their own medicine back. Akinfenwa was an idiot considering his stupid 1st booking. Especially as Kashket caused the incident that the sending off came from by being a fanny and diving/acting injured when he wasn't trying to get Gorrin booked (he succeeded). Lovely karma.

We really should have put that game to bed in the 1st half and got on the end of some of those crosses. Great following up by James Henry for the goal. A criticism on some crosses was Wycombe players were always looking to block the cutback, yet a number of times our players did that without looking up first. Please just lift your heads first and sometimes drill the ball in low and hard instead.

Their keeper taking so long on goalkicks, freekicks etc when 1 down was fantastic. Also, he would struggle to catch a cold I reckon based on his flapping today.

I can see why Wycombe are up there though even if they were only ok today (better with 10 then 11). Quite a simple game plan in essence in either playing off Akinfenwa or over the top for Kashket with a solid defence. Against a team not playing so well I can see why they've got results. And tbf, they didn't play hoofball until, quite reasonably, the last 10 minutes.

Dickie was excellent today as was Mous who led the team really well today.

I think the amount of work in the Man City game caught up with them in the last 30 minutes. Especially when you consider that Shandon and Cam Bran have only just come back from injury.

And finally, the Ref (Lee Swabey if I heard RadOx correctly) was excellent today. Strong and pretty consistent. Apart from Gorrin's spot on with his cautions for both teams imo.

Don’t know how you can say you didn’t think much of Wycombe, with ten men they made it very difficult for us. Despite all that possession we didn’t create many chances, and they could easily have got a late equaliser. It’s to our credit that they didn’t, the old Oxford would definitely have conceded at least one lateW
Don’t know how you can say you didn’t think much of Wycombe, with ten men they made it very difficult for us. Despite all that possession we didn’t create many chances, and they could easily have got a late equaliser. It’s to our credit that they didn’t, the old Oxford would definitely have conceded at least one late on.

I say that because we were by far the better team when it was 11 v 11, and it was obvious we were by miles better than them technically.

Like I said, in the 2nd half we took our foot off the pedal rather than them being a better team which disappointed me. If we had played with the same tempo in the 2nd half as we did in the 1st we would have walked them off the park. Additionally, if we had scored a 2nd goal I could have seen us going to win by 4 or 5, but wasn’t to be.

I just hope the lack of tempo 2nd half was down to Gorrin going off or fatigue or both, but not because the players were asked to do it.

Wycombe do have done good players. If they gave up with all of the sh!t stuff and played football they might actually do well and be enjoyable to watch.

Wycombe was shite the first half, we should have gone in 3-0 up at half time but we were very wasteful with the chances. As for the 2nd half we seem to drop down a gear and there wasn't as much urgency which played in to Wycombes hand. Your right that the old Oxford would have conceded an equaliser though. Archer was decent today, make a couple of decent saves and come and caught the ball to relieve the pressure, his distribution was alot better and got us moving quick, we need to sign him permanently as inevitable Eastwood will move on in the summer. Karl needs to concentrate on more shooting practice in my opinion. January going to be interesting but I trust Karl if we do lose anyone he will find a replacement that will do a job in any position.

Wycombe do have done good players. If they gave up with all of the sh!t stuff and played football they might actually do well and be enjoyable to watch.
I just checked Wiki, the attacking subs they brought on were on loan from QPR and Newcastle. Kashket did well on his own too.

Wycombe are like a league 1 Graham westley side. Single minded. Though a couple of their forwards could have got a break through

We looked tired at times and struggled to break down a side that looked like they were trying to protect a lead rather than get a result. Wycombe were not a bad side, but just very negative. They were incredibly slow taking every set piece until the 80th minute, but even then never looked in any rush. They sat really deep, and although we didn't create too many guilt edged chances, a little luck or composure and we'd have scored a hat full.

Hopefully a few days recovering and spending time with their families will have them firing on all cylinders for Boxing Day. I can see us beating Lincoln, Wimbledon and Doncaster over Christmas/New Year to set up an amazing 2020!!

A tough game but deserved the three points. Definite red card, did think Akinfiwa was better than that did look like Mackie was butted. Felt Taylor should have come on earlier so as to drag two defenders away when they had a free kick or a corner.
But 3 points onwards and upwards.

seemed like there could have been a scuffle outside the Ozone Wyscumb boy giving it large and a couple giving the come on, daft twats.

Around 5/6 young Wycombe thought they would be brave/silly, until a few young Oxford took up the invitation. Handbags.

Anyone in line who can say how close the call was for Taylor's disallowed goal?

Wycombe were a strange side, you could both see why they have done well and wonder how they are top at the same time. Not certain the sending off made a huge difference, Akinfenwa (never rated him myself) is only involved in certain phases of the game and we were dominant with him on the pitch, not like they lost much work rate with him going off and in some ways I think it made it even harder as they played even deeper and were even more cynical and negative with him gone.

Shame Dickie could well be off, the classiest centre back at this level, seems weird that he was being harangued only a year ago, he has improved so much since signing for us and the signing of him and Brannigan was one hell of a January transfer window, could well see a £5 million profit on it.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Given that we played Manchester City on Wednesday, I thought we played some great football. Not surprised we looked a little jaded in the second half.
wycombe look a lot better this season, but still play like a bunch of spoilers.

We were very good first half even when it was 11 v 11, but was really disappointed with our 2nd half performance. Our tempo 2nd half was laboured which just goes to show how much we miss Gorrin when he’s not on the pitch.

Apart from his goal I also felt Henry had a poor game. Again he was too slow and complacent, but heard after the game that he still isn’t 100% fit so I guess that explains it.

Just felt we seemed to panic/force the ball at times in the 2nd half when all we needed to do was keep it and move the ball quickly, especially as they only had 10 men, but we seemed to drop to their level.

Was Looking forward to the 2nd half, especially kicking towards the London Road end, so felt disappointing in the end, but obviously glad we got the 3 points.

Didn’t think much of Wycombe at all, so if we can continue to play as we know we can play and keep our better players in January, then I guess we’ve got every chance of making the automatics, at worst the Play Offs!

Henry is our top scorer, for several seasons.

He scored the goal today = three points.

No coincidence our league run ended without him in the team.

Sorry to single you out, but Henry does get some really unwarranted stick on here.

He's class, on and off the ball. And without him last season we might well have gone down.

Watch his cross for Matt Taylor's equaliser the other week away to Portsmouth, the way he took the ball, pulled the trigger from 35 yards out wide - that was world class. Again, it got us the point.

Back off.

Henry is our top scorer, for several seasons.

He scored the goal today = three points.

No coincidence our league run ended without him in the team.

Sorry to single you out, but Henry does get some really unwarranted stick on here.

He's class, on and off the ball. And without him last season we might well have gone down.

Watch his cross for Matt Taylor's equaliser the other week away to Portsmouth, the way he took the ball, pulled the trigger from 35 yards out wide - that was world class. Again, it got us the point.

Back off.
People call him ‘complacent ‘ because he has a very laid back style and never rushes. He was maybe not at his best today but he’s such a good and important player for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom