Away Match Build Up 21/11/2020 L1 Wigan Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficult one squad-wise - there is the urge (echoed loud on here) to change it all around after Tuesday, but then again there is the option to keep things similar to allow the players to make amends for that performance and I can see KR leaning more in that direction.
I dont think a change in formation is the answer, why complicate things further by asking players to do different jobs to normal? Keep the system the same and let them get back into doing the familiar things that they have done well in the past, better then they have been more recently.

Saying that, I would hope that Mous and Atkinson will not be able to take on the slot besides Elliott Moore at the back for the coming games, which will free up Longie to move back to full back, and with Gorrin in the middle, they will hopefully be able to re-establish a more robust backline from which the rest can build.

Put Clare on the bench and bring him on further forward on that right hand side during the game to boost his confidence by doing what is more familiar to him by going at a tiring defence, but without the pressure of having to think about defending.

Overall, I imagine we will see a much better performance, and with a bit of luck will get something out of the game, but I suspect one or two may be on their last chance as starters for a little while, with changes more likely for the following game...

Crushing victory that ignites hopes & dreams ahead of the derby when we come crashing down to to earth again.

On that basis I`ll take a 1-1 or odd goal win and the season starts here..

Difficult one squad-wise - there is the urge (echoed loud on here) to change it all around after Tuesday, but then again there is the option to keep things similar to allow the players to make amends for that performance and I can see KR leaning more in that direction.
I dont think a change in formation is the answer, why complicate things further by asking players to do different jobs to normal? Keep the system the same and let them get back into doing the familiar things that they have done well in the past, better then they have been more recently.

Saying that, I would hope that Mous and Atkinson will not be able to take on the slot besides Elliott Moore at the back for the coming games, which will free up Longie to move back to full back, and with Gorrin in the middle, they will hopefully be able to re-establish a more robust backline from which the rest can build.

Put Clare on the bench and bring him on further forward on that right hand side during the game to boost his confidence by doing what is more familiar to him by going at a tiring defence, but without the pressure of having to think about defending.

Overall, I imagine we will see a much better performance, and with a bit of luck will get something out of the game, but I suspect one or two may be on their last chance as starters for a little while, with changes more likely for the following game...

Largely in agreement. After the Crewe game, my rage forced me into contemplating a bland 4-4-2 but in retrospect keeping our formation as it is is wise.

Personnel need to change though. A defence of Long - Mousinho - Moore - Obita not only looks better than the four that can't stop leaking goals at present, but throws in an experienced leader in Mous too. We seriously lack any one like that. It makes you realise what you miss with not having Jamie Mackie around. He was for the most part useless but in terms of character he gave the team a lift, was a focal point for opposition to direct their attention to leaving others to express themselves and could knock a few players around.

The wide players need to be playing more central and closer to Taylor too. Slinging wide balls in from the wing to a 5'9" lone striker is pointless, sliding one across the six yard box having got yourself to the edge of the area is spot on. If that can't be achieved, then a formation change is needed.

We obviously need some changes to both personnel and positions IMO.

Taylor is stuck up front on his own. He needs someone up there with him - not necessarily as a 2 up front but at the very least an attacking central midfielder with instructions not to go too far back and to be some sort of link between the front and the back! Those punted high balls at Taylor are a complete waste of time.

Clare needs to move forward, with Forde or Long playing at RB. It's an experiment that has failed, just move on. Mous or Atkinson in the middle.

I might even play Clare on the right midfield and move the so far ineffective Henry infield to support Taylor.

Surely KR can't persevere with the same 11. Shodipo must come on as a sub and we have to tinker with the back 4. If it is more of the same then it will be a desperate day and even I as an optimist can not be positive indefinitely

2 nil Wigan..we were that bad against Crewe and im just not sure exactly what can change.

I’m hopeful we can sort out the defensive frailties with a couple of changes and keep a clean sheet, but probably asking too much for attacking improvement and plenty of shots on goal the other end so 0-0.

Another boring 5-5 draw with Portsmouth midweek, followed by a covid postponement vs Swindon as we are due another and then we have two P**s easy games vs Ipswich and Hull.

Never fear! 😮

James Henry looks "lost" at the moment - his head is not right for some curious reason. Clare needs dropping unless there is a clear gesture from KR to play him further up the field - let's hope? Regards a result - 0 - 0 would be an improvement on Tuesday!

There can't be a better fixture to improve in and gain some confidence: Wigan are in administration, can't sign players, have no manager, lost a key midfielder recently, were dumped out of the FA Cup by Chorley and gained 3 of their meagre points tally by catching Pompey cold on the first day of the season.
What could possibly go wrong...?

Largely in agreement. After the Crewe game, my rage forced me into contemplating a bland 4-4-2 but in retrospect keeping our formation as it is is wise.

Personnel need to change though. A defence of Long - Mousinho - Moore - Obita not only looks better than the four that can't stop leaking goals at present, but throws in an experienced leader in Mous too. We seriously lack any one like that. It makes you realise what you miss with not having Jamie Mackie around. He was for the most part useless but in terms of character he gave the team a lift, was a focal point for opposition to direct their attention to leaving others to express themselves and could knock a few players around.

The wide players need to be playing more central and closer to Taylor too. Slinging wide balls in from the wing to a 5'9" lone striker is pointless, sliding one across the six yard box having got yourself to the edge of the area is spot on. If that can't be achieved, then a formation change is needed.

Exactly why some of us said he was here.......... different skill set so to speak something we are now lacking.

Exactly why some of us said he was here.......... different skill set so to speak something we are now lacking.
This season and going forward, with the senior squad number restrictions there will be less and less room to sign a player who does not contribute on the pitch and reliably so. I liked Mackie as a character but groaned every time he came on!

Have a look on Wigan websight, someone is prodicting where Wigan and Burton will finish. Also where we and the scum finish . What ever it is they have been drinking i will have a lot of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom