Home Match Day Thread +++ 21/08/18 OUFC v Accrington Stanley +++

Accrington went 2 up top and won the game. Every game we've played in the league we've lost and the opponents all played 2 upfront. Our Cb's can't handle the physical battles against 2 strikers.
It’s because they never have to face two strikers even in training. Robinson thinks the sky will fall in if he ever tries it.

Incidentally he said that he turned to Derry 10 mins before the end of the game and told him he already knows what his defence will be on Saturday (there’s a gag in there somewhere) but dismissed with almost a laugh that it would involve Raglan. As the mai. Issue is left back does anyone on here have any ideas as to what he’ll try?

First off, the Ref was pathetic. No consistency, appalling decision making and simply not up to it - he had a negative impact on the game. It felt like an adventure in when he would make a decision based on the time he had last made a decision, not what was going on on the pitch. The Browne booking summed him up. Let something worse go to book him. Pedantic in all the wrong areas. The only thing their right back could do is foul Browne every time he had the ball. The tackle on Hanson was disgusting.

As for OUFC. What a shower. The decision to make the pitch bigger is costing us more than it is helping us. So much space out there for the other team to counter attack into as half the team went walkabouts again in a vain attempt to over attack. Our shape isn't there and teams must rub their hands with glee if they can score 1 goal. Because the whole system collapses quicker than the England cricket team when batting. So, so naive! If we can't defend as a team, we will get a hell of a gubbing on Saturday. It's easy pickings

Individually Browne, Whyte, Norman and Henry were excellent today. Hanson did well, same as Mous. Tonight proved "Garbage" isn't the issue at left back, its the collective shape that is letting us down and the wide pitch giving the opposition easy outlets in the channel.

This team has a lot of potential as the glimpses are there. But if we do not start to defend even poorly soon and the team work as a unit on the pitch, we have no hope at all. Teams with street smarts will run rings around us unless we smarten ourselves up and be accountable as 11 on the pitch, and as a management group. Some of the comments I heard coming out of the ground were laughable, but rapid improvements must be made.

Otherwise that Clotet team will look like world beaters.

Listened to KR's post match interview, I think he is loosing it, we scored two belting goals, theirs were scrappy and unplanned, why did we only plan to score two then. Scrappy or not they out scored us.

Much better going forward, looked like we had a threat up top with Whyte and Browne, Obika held the ball up but has very little to offer in the box.

An utter shambles again defensively, you wonder what they do in training but I suppose the lack of a settled defence doesn’t help. It’s going to be hard to get points conceding at the rate we do, so that has to be an urgent priority, new left back on loan as soon as.

It’s because they never have to face two strikers even in training. Robinson thinks the sky will fall in if he ever tries it.

Incidentally he said that he turned to Derry 10 mins before the end of the game and told him he already knows what his defence will be on Saturday (there’s a gag in there somewhere) but dismissed with almost a laugh that it would involve Raglan. As the mai. Issue is left back does anyone on here have any ideas as to what he’ll try?
Norman LB,McMahon RB?

When asked about he defence on Saturday and it was mentioned Raglan Robbo replies Noooo wtf is the man on, we have a problem in defence and we can’t address the problem. Moussa May have had a decent game but last season I was moaning about his not getting rid rather to try and dribble his way out of defence and getting caught, he did that tonight got caught it led the a P**s poor refereeing decision which led the their first goal, FFS “ SORT IT OUT ROBBO “ and fast !!!

Norman, Browne and Whyte are all nailed on starters for me, and the keeper because I think he's decent and the goals we're conceding aren't his failt. Holmes, if he's actually fit, walks into this team as well.

Not sure about the rest though, which I think says a lot.

Much better going forward, looked like we had a threat up top with Whyte and Browne, Obika held the ball up but has very little to offer in the box.

An utter shambles again defensively, you wonder what they do in training but I suppose the lack of a settled defence doesn’t help. It’s going to be hard to get points conceding at the rate we do, so that has to be an urgent priority, new left back on loan as soon as.
Its the shape in front of them that is causing the issue. Time and time again the defence were left one on one and having to scramble. There is only so much they can do before you look further up the pitch and question how the team are setup, and how well the players collectively work together to stop the other team scoring. The midfield up have to take responsibility at some point.

Confidence is a big issue out there as well. At 1-0 and 2-1, certain players look confident and assured. They then went missing after we conceded.

It wi
I prefer to look at the actual match tonight, in which we played well, except for the open gaps at LB that they steamrollered through.

We played better, we actually attacked for once. So yeah, I'm not looking at the league table for another couple of weeks.
ll probably be the same
W - 0
D - 0
L - 6

24 Oxford Utd 0 0 6

Accrington went 2 up top and won the game. Every game we've played in the league we've lost and the opponents all played 2 upfront. Our Cb's can't handle the physical battles against 2 strikers.

Then goes to show we’re crap at playing 1 up front, sorry to say I’ve been saying that for sometime, it’s about time we revert to 4-4-2 or 3-5-2

My first game of the season and so I have nothing to compare against but I think that this is a group players learning how to be a team and there are some positive signs. There were mistakes, and they proved costly but I thought there was some good play and at times we looked dangerous. The work ethic was good I think it will come together so long as Robinson is given a chance and everyone calms down a bit.

My first game as well due to holidays and would agree with most of these comments, however....
.Ruffels is just not good enough for league 1. Mousino was pretty poor last year and makes a glaring error every game and did it again tonight. We must be pretty desperate if he is CB. Brannigan is low on confidence and both he and Hanson are defensive midfielders. Neither can pick a pass.

Thought Nelson had a reasonable game. Henry played well a did Browne and Whyte.

Obika was not good last season and definitely would be a first choice player unless we had to, however, who else do we have!?

Norman, Browne and Whyte are all nailed on starters for me, and the keeper because I think he's decent and the goals we're conceding aren't his failt. Holmes, if he's actually fit, walks into this team as well.

Not sure about the rest though, which I think says a lot.

Add Henry to your list of starters

Its the shape in front of them that is causing the issue. Time and time again the defence were left one on one and having to scramble. There is only so much they can do before you look further up the pitch and question how the team are setup, and how well the players collectively work together to stop the other team scoring. The midfield up have to take responsibility at some point.

Confidence is a big issue out there as well. At 1-0 and 2-1, certain players look confident and assured. They then went missing after we conceded.

Wouldn’t disagree with you, we need to find a formation that is much more solid, personally would consider a 3-4-3 or a 4,3,3, Robinson’s fascination with the 4,2,3,1 leaves us exposed to counter attacks, but we signed one left back and about 6 players to play behind the lone forward, it’s blatantly not working defensively.

The rest of this week needs to be spent working in defending as a team and being better organised, still think we are desperate for a left sided defender though.

My first game as well due to holidays and would agree with most of these comments, however....
.Ruffels is just not good enough for league 1. Mousino was pretty poor last year and makes a glaring error every game and did it again tonight. We must be pretty desperate if he is CB. Brannigan is low on confidence and both he and Hanson are defensive midfielders. Neither can pick a pass.

Thought Nelson had a reasonable game. Henry played well a did Browne and Whyte.

Obika was not good last season and definitely would be a first choice player unless we had to, however, who else do we have!?

Oh...I forgot to mention....was very indifferent about KR and neither positive or negative when he was announced but the bloke just says too much. He needs to be a bit more pragmatic and stop the machine gun comments that he makes. Does not help the situation.

Add Henry to your list of starters

Yeah I rate Henry but I don't know if I'd have him over any of the others in that formation, unless of course you drop Obika/Smith and let the 4 rotate round, which wouldn't be the worst idea.

It was much, much better. Atrocious defending and I can’t imagine it’ll be easy for KR to keep leaving out the big earners. But, progress. If we can work out how to defend there is a team there.

Complete lack of a striker is hurting us as the 3 behind all look to have talent at this level. I thought Browne was excellent throughout, Whyte did a lot of good stuff and while Henry wasn't as on it as he often is he still did a lot of good stuff. I've seen nothing from Smith to suggest he was worth waiting all summer for and Obika simply isn't good enough for this level.

Defensively we are a shambles and capable of conceding from anywhere. Ruffels tries hard but isn't good enough as a midfielder yet alone a left back. Considering he's natural midfielder he's uncomfortable on the ball, every time he gets it he closes his body up so the only option is to go backwards and he's defensively suspect.

Pathetic interview from Robinson as well. The ref made some mistakes of course as he's human but he doesn't deserve a mention tonight and hasn't affected the result. Try taking some responsibility rather than blaming everyone else.

Better going forward - with Holmes, Whyte, Brown & Henry we definitely have some goal threat, even without a proven striker. However we are absolutely woeful at the back, and the team seems to play with no understanding which is not surprising given the amount of changes he's making each week.

Complete lack of a striker is hurting us as the 3 behind all look to have talent at this level. I thought Browne was excellent throughout, Whyte did a lot of good stuff and while Henry wasn't as on it as he often is he still did a lot of good stuff. I've seen nothing from Smith to suggest he was worth waiting all summer for and Obika simply isn't good enough for this level.

Defensively we are a shambles and capable of conceding from anywhere. Ruffels tries hard but isn't good enough as a midfielder yet alone a left back. Considering he's natural midfielder he's uncomfortable on the ball, every time he gets it he closes his body up so the only option is to go backwards and he's defensively suspect.

Pathetic interview from Robinson as well. The ref made some mistakes of course as he's human but he doesn't deserve a mention tonight and hasn't affected the result. Try taking some responsibility rather than blaming everyone else.

He literally said that the buck stops with him and took responsibility. He said the words your castigating him for not saying.

Teams are cutting through us like a hot knife through butter. Brannagan needs to learn to hold his position rather than running after lost causes. He’s trying to win the ball high up the field beyond the likes of Henry, Browne, Whyte and Obika which then leaves a big hole in the middle which gets exposed at will. Thought Norman (especially 1st half), Whyte, Browne and Mousinho (apart from his holding on to the ball too long towards the end of 1st half) were good. Hanson looked improved, but tired. Ruffels did his normal stuff, you know, what it says on the tin. Having said all this we look disorganised, but we’re better tonight. Like Robinson says, he shoulders the blame.. lose Saturday and it could be good night Vienna! Question is, could MApp work with Tiger?!!

Back
Top Bottom