Home Match Day Thread +++ 21/08/18 OUFC v Accrington Stanley +++

Had a look at the ordering system, logged in and all appears to indicate that the £10.00 charge is on top of the subscription. Not really very fair in my opinion but when did the EFL ever give a monkeys about the fans?

I have an annual subscription overseas. If they want another tenner for tonight they know where they can put it.

Oxford’s first win of 2014-15 was a Tuesday night win over Accrington on 16th September.

Hylton, Collins and Barnett with the goals. Michael Appleton’s first league win for the U’s.

Just 4,111 witnessed it.

U’s - Long; Riley, Mullins, Wright, Newey; O’Dowda Collins, Ruffels, Howard; Hylton, Barnett.

It may be the right game to bring in Whyte for a start and use Henry from the bench. Do we need another winger/10 getting injured?

Without Henry and Holmes, and Hall, my question is still who is going to score for us. Weve left ourselves horribly short up front.

0-1 to a poorly defended set piece.

The result depends so much on Robinson's team selection. If he sticks with the usual suspects then we will lose. If he has the nous or the nerve to bring in younger, fitter player then we might just scrape a win.

Let's hope Robinson is fockoosed on this game!

Accrington are well known gor grinding out results so expecting a 1-1 with an Oxford player scoring the first goal of the season for us

The result depends so much on Robinson's team selection. If he sticks with the usual suspects then we will lose. If he has the nous or the nerve to bring in younger, fitter player then we might just scrape a win.

Let's hope Robinson is fockoosed on this game!
He has played Baptiste in the last 2 games (which many of our previous managers wouldn't have done) plus Browne. Brannagan and Hanson are both pretty young.
I think that the bigger issue us who is able to pick. So will Henry be fit? Certainly an older player but I would definitely bring him in if fit.

Oxford’s first win of 2014-15 was a Tuesday night win over Accrington on 16th September.

Hylton, Collins and Barnett with the goals. Michael Appleton’s first league win for the U’s.

Just 4,111 witnessed it.

U’s - Long; Riley, Mullins, Wright, Newey; O’Dowda Collins, Ruffels, Howard; Hylton, Barnett.
When we played that game, who would have suspected that the only player still here four years later would be Ruffels?

I assume, as nobody on here has mentioned it and KR hasn’t tried it, that Norman definitely can’t play LB to replace Garbutt? If he can then that would be the most obvious change, as whilst McMahon hasn’t set the world alight, he has been reasonably steady at RB. Perhaps McMahon could adapt to LB as a temporary measure? I don’t think Ruffels is enough of an improvement over Garbutt.

Havent checked but seem to remember that when he signed he was talked about being able to play on both sides of the defence, so yes that would be a decent idea to put him in for Garbett and leave the Mc in the side in the hope that he can get his set-piece mojo working

Accrington an excellent footballing side. They’ve also got the best manager in the bottom two leagues

Regardless of what had happened in our first 3 this was always going to be a very, very difficult game.

So I’m not going to be too worried if things don’t go our way. Burton a different story though

Accrington lost their last away game 6-1 at Mansfield in the league cup. What was their team like that night?

Accrington an excellent footballing side. They’ve also got the best manager in the bottom two leagues

Regardless of what had happened in our first 3 this was always going to be a very, very difficult game.

So I’m not going to be too worried if things don’t go our way. Burton a different story though

They are an overachiever because they are so small, and they have a good manager, but if we struggle badly for the fourth time in a row against a side who will be mid table at best then I will be very worried.

At the very least we have to look competitive tonight, haven’t managed it in the first three games, which shows how low those opening games set the bar.

So that's four sides (Barnsley, Fleetwood, Portsmouth and Accrington i.e. everyone we'll have played so far) that are apparently too good for us and that we shouldn't be too worried if we capitulate to? I hate that way of thinking. We should be able to compete with every team in the same division - we might lose, but we should be able to compete. So far, we haven't.

A comfortable win would settle things down somewhat, and would make a foundation to build on.

Back
Top Bottom