World Cup 2022 World Cup Draw

tonyw

I've just seen that FIFA are going to go ahead with the World Cup draw this Friday, despite the fact that they still won't know who three of the teams are going to be (the Ukraine invasion has obviously postponed finding out who the last European team will be out of Ukraine/Scotland/Wales, and the two inter-confederation playoffs have been pushed back because of Covid).

Going to make things a) Really complicated, and b) Potentially really unfair.......because the 'Pots' are seeded based on World Ranking, but teams that would be on the borderline of Pot 2 (e.g. Colombia, Wales) will end up in Pot 4 instead because they didn't qualify (if they qualify) until after the draw is made.

Means we could end up with an uber-Group of Death and/or the easiest group in World Cup history (Qatar, Senegal, Canada, Scotland anyone?)

Guess it means that fans can start planning their trips early though........

Chuffed to see Canada make it. Their coach has achieved great things wherever he has been in his short career. And we get to hear their great national anthem at the WC.

It’s still a World Cup I’m not looking forward to for obvious reasons. Will the heat make it a mockery as much as the draw too?

Will the heat make it a mockery as much as the draw too?

Players will just need to keep their cool in that kind of heat during a World Cup.

caf2ec296d677143624aab87b835c23d.jpg

Chuffed to see Canada make it. Their coach has achieved great things wherever he has been in his short career. And we get to hear their great national anthem at the WC.

It’s still a World Cup I’m not looking forward to for obvious reasons. Will the heat make it a mockery as much as the draw too?

But the stadiums are going to be air conditioned.

Oh.

They did brilliantly use home advantage, switching the games against Mexico and Jamaica to the coldest possible locations (minus 4 to minus 10 C)

They did brilliantly use home advantage, switching the games against Mexico and Jamaica to the coldest possible locations (minus 4 to minus 10 C)
Ah, you've just reminded me of the brilliant scene in 'Cool Runnings' when the Jamaican Bobsleigh team went to leave the airport after arriving in Canada :ROFLMAO:

Great idea. Could we possibly have our matches in Benson when those namby-pamby softies from Plymouth, Exeter and Crawley play us? We’ll show them the baltic temperatures of the Oxon countryside.

USA did that too by playing a central American nation a few months ago in Saint Paul, Minnesota where it was -15°c!

just found that, v Honduras - 2 of the Honduran players had to be treated for hypothermia!

They also did it year before v Costa Rica, played in a Colorado snow storm.
WCup_The_Big_Chill_Soccer.jpg

usp-soccer_-world-cup-qualifier-costa-rica-at-usa.jpg

#21 in short sleeves too! Respect.

Means we could end up with......... the easiest group in World Cup history (Qatar, Senegal, Canada, Scotland anyone?)

Guess it means that fans can start planning their trips early though........

Given the history (South Korea anyone?) and the integrity of FIFA it would be shocking if this didn't happen. Qatar will somehow get through into the second stage then let's hope they get Brasil in the knockouts cos that'll be a bugger to fix properly.

So, England’s three opponents will be USA, Iran and one of Scotland, Wales or Ukraine.

USA v Iran. The hostage derby! Didn’t they meet in 1998 too?

France, Denmark and (possibly) Australia all in the same group as they were in 2018. Switzerland, Brazil and Serbia all in the same group as they were at the last World Cup too. Spooky.

Group B
England
Iran
USA
Scotland/Wales/Ukraine

Keeps Southgate in the job another 4 years.

No real group of death this time, or I haven’t spotted one. Doesn’t the amount of teams go up next World Cup? So we may never see a particularly tough one again.

Back
Top Bottom