Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could we offer JJ a pay as you play abit like Mackie also wasn't bodin on a deal like that last season plus this season we get 5 subs to bring on so might not be as bad as people think
Think this would suit the player as well. Perhaps learn a bit from Bodin and bolt on a clause to extend just in case it really does work out. We were a little anxious when Bodin was looking around. Can imagine JJ would sign a year plus an option to extend every day of the week in return for us taking the risk.

Wouldn't mind JJ for a year to be risk averse. He could be an incredible bench option. Or he could be a Ricky Holmes.

Can Jodi Jones play left back, or anywhere along the defensive line… If not it’s a no from me. We are quite well stacked for players high up the pitch.

The thing is tho using bodin as an example we wouldn't have got him last season if not foyhid injury record and he didn't turn out to bad and we wouldn't be close to getting JJ this season if he didn't have injuries sometimes they work sometimes they don't
Sure but we wouldn't have had Robbie Hall for so long but hardly playing, Winnall, George Thorne, Ricky Holmes etc. I think we have enough current players coming back from serious injuries. More often than not, it hasn't worked out in my view. Bodin as great as he is, the jury is still out on how much he will play.

We've lost Holland, Whyte, Sykes, Williams and Winnal from last season, sure we need to strengthen at the back but we still need to replace players up the pitch too.
Absolutely.
I really dont understand this view that we don't need any more attacking players

Absolutely.
I really dont understand this view that we don't need any more attacking players
Particularly as forward players generally need far greater rotation/more susceptible to injury.

Not only that, when we’re 1-0 down with 10 mins to go, I don’t think we want to be looking towards a bench full of defenders.

We’ve got 3 to replace plus the return of the 5 sub rule so I wouldn’t be surprised to see more.

You would think that if do have two new signings in Spain, they'd be announced before Monday. Unless they hide them during the Open Training Session.

Can Jodi Jones play left back, or anywhere along the defensive line… If not it’s a no from me. We are quite well stacked for players high up the pitch.

Do you not want us to sign any attacking players this summer?

Do you not want us to sign any attacking players this summer?

I don’t want us signing players that have hardly kicked a ball in anger for a couple of seasons. Why do we keep signing players with poor injury records….. I’d rather see Goodrham given the nod over a proven crock.

I want to see our budget spent on players that are strong and robust, because we are too nice at times, and need a bit of a nasty streak in us.

Our priorities should need addressing firstly, but KR can’t help himself, and continues to bring in wingers. That’s fine, but when we start to leak goals, because KR didn’t focus on the main issue, then he will be given his marching orders. If we fail to meet the boards ambitions and targets.

5 players short of the 20 man squad cap but that's including Mousinho and Davis and assuming it's still a 20 man squad cap plus 2 goalkeepers next season. With 5 subs allowed next season the squad cap may increase.

22 players, not 20, if it is the same as last season. Keepers and u21s are not included.

5 players short of the 20 man squad cap but that's including Mousinho and Davis and assuming it's still a 20 man squad cap plus 2 goalkeepers next season. With 5 subs allowed next season the squad cap may increase.
Mous should not take up a squad place, we need players need to be able to play as many games as they can. Equally squad players should be able to step into the 1 with no qualms, otherwise whats the point in having them in the squad.

I don’t want us signing players that have hardly kicked a ball in anger for a couple of seasons. Why do we keep signing players with poor injury records….. I’d rather see Goodrham given the nod over a proven crock.

I want to see our budget spent on players that are strong and robust, because we are too nice at times, and need a bit of a nasty streak in us.

Our priorities should need addressing firstly, but KR can’t help himself, and continues to bring in wingers. That’s fine, but when we start to leak goals, because KR didn’t focus on the main issue, then he will be given his marching orders. If we fail to meet the boards ambitions and targets.

Who says we aren't spending our budget on defensive players aswell? Jodi Jones would be replacing Holland but ultimately isn't going to break the bank and a risk worth taking. He was immense in that season they got promoted from league one.

When you go shopping you probably grab the fruit and veg and fresh bread first even if you know that you've run out of frozen chips!!

Buying players in order of need is a frankly bizarre way of doing business!

Oxford United squad list 22/23

- Squad limit - (15/22) GKs don’t count

1. Sam Long
  2. Elliott Moore
  3. John Mousinho
  4. Luke McNally
  5. Steve Seddon
  6. Anthony Forde
  7. Alex Gorrin
  8. Oisin Smyth
  9. Cameron Brannagan
  10. James Henry
  11. Marcus McGuane
  12. Billy Bodin
  13. Marcus Browne
  14. Sam Baldock
  15. Matty Taylor

Why is it always "they were really good............ but now they are knackered" with signing players? Its a long old list!

Even on a game-by-game contract, it would be a squad place "wasted" wouldn`t it?

How is that a squad place “wasted”?

f**k me, the bloke hasn’t even signed for us yet, and we’ve got people writing him off!!!

The 7 players we have lost from our squad list are:

1. Sam Winnall
2. Mark Sykes
3. Ryan Williams
4. Gavin Whyte
5. Nathan Holland
6. Ciaron Brown (was Jordan Thorniley)
7. Herbie Kane

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back