Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know this? Based on the stuff coming out of the club I believe our budget will be closer to Wednesday and Ipswich and I'm hopeful that we're fishing quietly in areas that will bring us surprisingly good signings and put us up there with them.*

* This isn't sarcasm either.
Sheffield Wednesday’s last accounts showed £21m on wages. That will have reduced substantially since but Bannan’s new contract the year they got relegated (£25k a week perhaps?), people like Windass they’ve retained on Champs wages, putting Michael Smith on five figures etc suggests it’ll still be in the £15m ballpark. Ipswich won’t be dissimilar if you look at their accounts plus the activity since with the new ownership.

I suspect our £5m say from last year has been inflated above competitors with Premier League history, which is absolutely quite something, but I’d still be amazed and frankly concerned if we were anyway near those clubs.

I’m just speculating of course. Our accounts are pretty guarded bar the eye-watering lease costs and the data on companies house is never up to date so I don’t claim to ‘know’, just reading between the lines.

Really fancy Sheff Weds and Ipswich to get promoted. Already, both have done excellent transfer business and both have had a season (Ippy a couple!) to have a look at what is required to get out the division.
Impossible, if I've learnt anything from this forum it's that you either have to do bad business early or good business late, there's no in-between 🙈

I suspect our £5m say from last year has been inflated above competitors with Premier League history, which is absolutely quite something, but I’d still be amazed and frankly concerned if we were anyway near those clubs.
Agree.
I would be amazed if our budget is anywhere near Wednesday or Ipswich.
The alleged Smith wages if true would seem to indicate that ( with Bannon still on a huge wage)

Controversial perhaps... Whilst a new signing is very appealing; it's worth remembering that much of the starting eleven are all signed to the club already. I'm not sure I buy the idea of getting signings done early is of much significance given the current squad.

I'd be worried if we needed say, 8 first team regular starters ready for the first day of the season to face Derby however that isn't the case. New signings (unless desperate) won't all be thrown into a starting 11 from day one simultaneously. If the first game of the season see's more than a couple of new signing starting (barring a highly impressive pre-season from one/many or injuries to those already contracted), I'd be surprised.

I just can't envisage a scenario whereby the core of the squad would be altered in five weeks.

No need to panic...

Controversial perhaps... Whilst a new signing is very appealing; it's worth remembering that much of the starting eleven are all signed to the club already. I'm not sure I buy the idea of getting signings done early is of much significance given the current squad.

I'd be worried if we needed say, 8 first team regular starters ready for the first day of the season to face Derby however that isn't the case. New signings (unless desperate) won't all be thrown into a starting 11 from day one simultaneously. If the first game of the season see's more than a couple of new signing starting (barring a highly impressive pre-season from one/many or injuries to those already contracted), I'd be surprised.

I just can't envisage a scenario whereby the core of the squad would be altered in five weeks.

No need to panic...
Yes, arguably we've already signed our star players, we just need to fill out the squad, especially in defence - though that's really important.

No need to panic...

The thought of Steve Seddon up against a 12 yr old from Derby frightens the life out of me.

Sheffield Wednesday’s last accounts showed £21m on wages. That will have reduced substantially since but Bannan’s new contract the year they got relegated (£25k a week perhaps?), people like Windass they’ve retained on Champs wages, putting Michael Smith on five figures etc suggests it’ll still be in the £15m ballpark. Ipswich won’t be dissimilar if you look at their accounts plus the activity since with the new ownership.

I’m just speculating of course. Our accounts are pretty guarded bar the eye-watering lease costs and the data on companies house is never up to date so I don’t claim to ‘know’, just reading between the lines.

Bannan is on £28,000 a week. He’s the highest paid player in the league as of last season.

A contact who is an Ipswich fan went to their fixture release event this morning.
"Spoke to their manager Kieran McKenna (ex Man Utd) who said that the transfer market is quite slow at the moment and expects it to slow down more because at the top ends, the Premier League clubs only really get a proper pre-season with their players every couple of years due to international tournaments. So with the Euro's last season, most of the big clubs will be wanting to have a proper look at their full squads during this pre-season which will delay transfers/loans going out and slow the domino effect across the leagues. Expecting the back end of the window to be very busy across all 92 clubs."

Not sure I agree. We are pretty light at the back and even more so if McNally goes (and that seems likely at the moment). Sure we could put out a team - but (especially if we are going to play 3 at the back and 2 wingbacks) we need to make some first XI signings there. And that's at the very least.

James Gibbons should he the kinf of player we hoovered up. Although maybe we did go on for him and couldn't afford him?

You'd have been one of the first complaining about his injury issues over the last 2 seasons if we'd signed him. In those 2 seasons, he's played 34 league games (23 of them last season). Port Vale fans I've read comments from are somewhat surprised about this transfer and suggest their club offered a mostly appearances based contract to him.

Fine, but have you read his vision from this mornings interview?
10 out 5/6 in? Two loans but nothing definite about perms.
But the Pina Coladas are fllowing fine.

Again, the quote is:

“This squad needs at least five or six players added to it and we’ll be working around the clock to make sure we do that.”

You missed the "at least" bit yet again.

Not sure I agree. We are pretty light at the back and even more so if McNally goes (and that seems likely at the moment). Sure we could put out a team - but (especially if we are going to play 3 at the back and 2 wingbacks) we need to make some first XI signings there. And that's at the very least.
Absolutely agree with this. If we are looking to improve on last season we have a lot of work to do in the window and we are already playing catch up with most of the league.
However that isn’t to suggest a massive panic, I trust the recruitment process to get in the right players. The only part that concerns me is rumours of us missing out on targets, I am aware this probably happens more than we hear about but it’s still frustrating. On top of this targets I had hoped we would be pursuing are moving on now. I’m sure the club are not sat there twiddling their thumbs and are as frustrated as us fans if they have missed targets but I do think to suggest we are strong enough to compete for promotion as we are is naive. We didn’t end up competing last year and we have only lost depth so far this window so it is essential for us to strengthen & the sooner we can got those players in the better for us as fans and for the club I am sure.
There has been some smart business in league 1 so far especially Ipswich who at the moment are my tip to win the league, thought they were excellent at our place under McKenna and have since bolstered their squad well but as others have pointed out, they are probably fishing in other waters to us based on some of the money already being spent and I don’t think we can expect to compete with them, so we may find more success and value in Ireland and Scotland like we have in recent times.

Absolutely agree with this. If we are looking to improve on last season we have a lot of work to do in the window and we are already playing catch up with most of the league.
However that isn’t to suggest a massive panic, I trust the recruitment process to get in the right players. The only part that concerns me is rumours of us missing out on targets, I am aware this probably happens more than we hear about but it’s still frustrating. On top of this targets I had hoped we would be pursuing are moving on now. I’m sure the club are not sat there twiddling their thumbs and are as frustrated as us fans if they have missed targets but I do think to suggest we are strong enough to compete for promotion as we are is naive. We didn’t end up competing last year and we have only lost depth so far this window so it is essential for us to strengthen & the sooner we can got those players in the better for us as fans and for the club I am sure.
There has been some smart business in league 1 so far especially Ipswich who at the moment are my tip to win the league, thought they were excellent at our place under McKenna and have since bolstered their squad well but as others have pointed out, they are probably fishing in other waters to us based on some of the money already being spent and I don’t think we can expect to compete with them, so we may find more success and value in Ireland and Scotland like we have in recent times.

Ipswich were great at our place, I agree, but a week or two later they lost at home to Cambridge and stank the place out apparently. Who knows if McKenna is any good or indeed if Ipswich are. They feel like a club where expectation weighs heavily and I can see another fruitless season for them - and McKenna back coaching somewhere higher up the pyramid by Christmas.

Ipswich were great at our place, I agree, but a week or two later they lost at home to Cambridge and stank the place out apparently. Who knows if McKenna is any good or indeed if Ipswich are. They feel like a club where expectation weighs heavily and I can see another fruitless season for them - and McKenna back coaching somewhere higher up the pyramid by Christmas.
I take your point but think it’s worth pointing out that they only lost 4 games under his management and all good teams have off days. For me they were the best team we played last year.
I’m of the opinion that with a summer to build his own squad they will be too strong for league one but guess that’s the beauty of football and they could potentially struggle again, who knows!

I take your point but think it’s worth pointing out that they only lost 4 games under his management and all good teams have off days. For me they were the best team we played last year.
I’m of the opinion that with a summer to build his own squad they will be too strong for league one but guess that’s the beauty of football and they could potentially struggle again, who knows!
A difficult one.
He started very well but they faded. Last 6 games they won 1, drew 3, lost 2.
Some on here may have suggested that they bottled it!
They seem to be having another big turnover of players.
They were favourites to go up last season and will be again this season. Quite rightly but then Sunderland were year after year.

In the second half at our place they mullered us but it can't be forgotten that we had far the better of the first half and created some good chances, if they had fallen to Taylor instead of Whyte and Williams we would have gone in at least a goal up. It's interesting what you take from a game depending on first half/second half performance. After the first half against MK Dons at home I thought they were the best team I'd seen, quick movement, a press we couldn't beat and kept us under constant pressure but second half we turned it around completely. Most fans would go away saying we played well against MK but were awful against Ipswich when in both games it was one very good half and one very poor. Maybe interesting was a bit of a stretch but it's something.

That said I do agree that Ipswich look strong and have made some very good signings on paper, I'd have absolutely loved Dominic Ball here. They should be a real threat this season.

Hello to whoever oufcreport is on Instagram!

Clearly had a read through this thread this morning, as their entire posting is about players mentioned on here - Doyle, Norton-Cuffy and the Cadden deal being less close.

Wishful thinking re Cadden, but I would love that to be true..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom