Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bodin has been offered a contract but hasn't made a decision yet. His fitness is a concern and the contract offer reflects that, so the player maybe hesitant.

Seems I missed your post at some stage, so well done. You beat me to it.

He (Toal) seems like the kind of player we’d look at in recent times. Very promising young player.
To be honest, have just watched a fair amount of Irish football in the last 18months.

The NI U21 stuff is on youtube also so can watch full matches and do some scouting from the sofa. For example, vs Malta:

Smyth (20) playing alongside Galbraith (6). Once linked Paul O'Neill playing up front with Paddy Lane in the squad...plus, Kofi Balmer. Look at his ability on the ball:
(around 35:30).

Balmer playing in the middle of a back 3. Toal has also played in the centre of a back 3 with Ciaron Brown to left of him for the NI U21s

If we are recruiting to 3atb, then both Balmer and Toal are familiar with the system and would fit with our recruitment strategy.

Bodin has been offered a contract but hasn't made a decision yet. His fitness is a concern and the contract offer reflects that, so the player maybe hesitant.

He may be waiting to see if better offers come in. I would hope we've gave him a deadline though as I wouldn't want us putting all our eggs in one basket . A great player when fit but isn't irreplaceable .

Is that the same Matty Taylor who has played 135 games in the last 3 seasons, averaging 45 games a season?

Or the same James Henry who has player 165 games over the last 4 seasons, averaging 41 games a season?

Maybe you can also highlight the impact that Winnall, Hanson, Cooper, Elechi and LCP had on last season as you appear worried by their absence?
Irrespective of the impact these players had they will still need to be replaced, After all It is a squad game.

My point about replacements needing to be more robust still stands. Hanson and Winnall have been unlucky with injuries but let's hope Baldock, Browne and Bodin have more luck.

I do wonder if we have seen ‘peak’ Henry, Long and Taylor!

I’m disappointed when our youngsters get released, did they get sufficient opportunities to impress?
I do hope Messrs O’Donkor, Golding and Goodrham get more of a chance.

He may be waiting to see if better offers come in. I would hope we've gave him a deadline though as I wouldn't want us putting all our eggs in one basket . A great player when fit but isn't irreplaceable .
I doubt he will get a better offer as such but perhaps a more ‘steady’ one - a little bit like going from a job that pays heavy commission to one that earns you the same but a greater share of that is guaranteed basic salary. I strongly suspect anything we tabled for him last summer and probably again this year is largely based on appearances so he may be keeping an eye out for something that pays the same over the year regardless of how much he plays. There are clubs around with deep pockets who could take that risk on him.

FWIW I think he did brilliantly for us for the most part and one I’d keep hold of.

If the season started tomorrow we’d have a starting XI of -

Stevens, Long McNally Moore Seddon, Brannagan McGuane, Williams Browne, Baldock Taylor

That’s a very good base to build on before 10 signings join the club replacing Sykes, Kane, Brown, Winnall, Whyte, Holland, Mousinho, Gorrin, Hanson, Cooper etc.
To be brutally honest the majority of these players were not good enough to get us above 8th position.
Admittedly, Baldock and Browne arrived later and subsequently got injured!

There are many question marks still to be addressed over the following concerns:

Goalkeeping position-in reality not a convincing season for Stevens or Eastwood
Full backs/Wing backs needed for 4-3-3 and 3-4-1-2
Moore and McNally partnership iffy
No left footed Centre Back in the squad for balance
No covering holding midfielder in the building
Will CamBran move on now?
What's the holdup with Henry and Bodin signing?
Are we taking a risk with certain players fitness wise over a long season?
Another striker needed to compete and be happy to play second fiddle to MT/SB
Mark Sykes replacement, is there another Wes Burns about?

We have to consider that we are fishing in the same pool for players as Barnsley, Derby, Posh, Sheff Wed, MK Dons, Plymouth, Wycombe/Sunderland, Ipswich, Bolton, Portsmouth and Charlton.

Challenging and interesting times ahead for sure!

We need to move on from bringing ex players back they left for a reason and some under a cloud we need a well balanced squad if we are going to do well this season I can't believe KR is even thinking this as this season has to be the season or KR will no longer be Manager come Xmas/ may if we are not in top 6

We need to move on from bringing ex players back they left for a reason and some under a cloud we need a well balanced squad if we are going to do well this season I can't believe KR is even thinking this as this season has to be the season or KR will no longer be Manager come Xmas/ may if we are not in top 6

It happens every summer across every lower league fans' forum or message board. There's only so many lower league players any fan can hold in their mind so it's easy to point out players who have played for us before.

Never say never to a player returning but we do need some fresh players in the team. Better ones too as we want the guarantee of promotion by finishing in the top two and not the gamble of a playoff campaign.

It happens every summer across every lower league fans' forum or message board. There's only so many lower league players any fan can hold in their mind so it's easy to point out players who have played for us before.

Never say never to a player returning but we do need some fresh players in the team. Better ones too as we want the guarantee of promotion by finishing in the top two and not the gamble of a playoff campaign.

Although I'd happily have Kemar Roofe, George Baldock and Lunny back. :)

Irrespective of the impact these players had they will still need to be replaced, After all It is a squad game.
Yes, and that is what is so exciting, we did well last season with too many passengers in the squad, Winnall, Hanson and Cooper especially. Winnall and Hanson were on decent money so we should be able to get 3 decent footballers as replacements for, to be frank, wastes of space in the squad.

If we keep the majority of the contracted players of the squad from last season, thats a really good base to build on.

Forwards: Browne, Baldock, Taylor + O'Donkor
Midfielders: McGuane, Brannagan, Williams + Goodrham
Defenders: McNally, Moore, Seddon, Forde, Long + Golding
Goalkeepers: Stevens, Eastwood + Plumley

I'd like to see the youth players you've listed really pushed this season but they are likely to go out on loan again. So 3 signings to replace the dead wood, add another 3 signings on top and we'd definitely be near the top of the league.

1 x Top Striker
1 x Holding Midfielder
2 x Wingers / Wingbacks
2 x Centre Backs

I'd like either Bodin or Henry to sign, if pushed I'd prefer Bodin to sign over Henry. Gorrin to sign, Moore and Brannagan to extend would be awesome but unlikely.

If Carlsberg did a transfer window I'd like to see:
Cole Stockton or a younger more physical and pacy forward.
Camara (looks like he's going to Wednesday)
Nicky and Chris Cadden
Ciaran Brown and Toal

Although I'd happily have Kemar Roofe, George Baldock and Lunny back. :)
I'd have Emi Martinez back as well from Villa, he'd improve us in goal. Toni Martinez as well come to think of it, seems to play fairly regularly for Porto. Get those two, the three you mentioned and Rothwell, Dickie, Atkinson and Nelson and we'll be alright. Still an issue at left back mind, what's Ricardinho up to these days?

Yes, and that is what is so exciting, we did well last season with too many passengers in the squad, Winnall, Hanson and Cooper especially. Winnall and Hanson were on decent money so we should be able to get 3 decent footballers as replacements for, to be frank, wastes of space in the squad.

If we keep the majority of the contracted players of the squad from last season, thats a really good base to build on.

I'd like to see the youth players you've listed really pushed this season but they are likely to go out on loan again. So 3 signings to replace the dead wood, add another 3 signings on top and we'd definitely be near the top of the league.

1 x Top Striker
1 x Holding Midfielder
2 x Wingers / Wingbacks
2 x Centre Backs

I'd like either Bodin or Henry to sign, if pushed I'd prefer Bodin to sign over Henry. Gorrin to sign, Moore and Brannagan to extend would be awesome but unlikely.

Nicky and Chris Cadden
Ciaran Brown and Toal

Really good post, just wondering why its either Bodin or Henry ? Why not try and keep both ?

I'd have Emi Martinez back as well from Villa, he'd improve us in goal. Toni Martinez as well come to think of it, seems to play fairly regularly for Porto. Get those two, the three you mentioned and Rothwell, Dickie, Atkinson and Nelson and we'll be alright. Still an issue at left back mind, what's Ricardinho up to these days?

Has Jonjoe Kenny played left back?

1 x Top Striker
1 x Holding Midfielder
2 x Wingers / Wingbacks
2 x Centre Backs

Nicky and Chris Cadden
Ciaran Brown and Toal
The Wednesday thing looks like clickbait to me.....

That Camara is going I have no doubt but if I were Argyle that's exactly the kind of story I would like as it will flush out suitors further up the food chain.

Preston would be a more likely ( less popular) choice....plus Lowe will know hi package details etc etc...and signed him originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom