Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been watching a defender over in Ireland for a few months. Faz travelled over to watch a game numerous times a couple months ago. The player “Looks ready for the jump up now”

I know nothing of Eoin Toal. So couldn’t say either way if it’s been him or not.
I thought Faz had been watching Kofi Balmer at Larne, but Eoin Toal is a player mentioned by @Nadi- who is the resident expert on Irish football. Edit - and @Shosho it appears!!

Despite success from those coming over in recent years, Ireland remains a fairly untapped market and I'd be amazed if we didn't add one or two players to our squad this summer.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Matty Taylor and COD good mates.
Matty was coming to us( handshake deal) then COD leaves under a bit of a cloud and Matty doesn’t come. I’m sure there were posts about this but I can’t be arsed to go back and look but it was along the lines of OUFC treated COD poorly and Matty had second rhoughts
Perhaps it might be forgive and forget time. We have a new Board and management now

The only two misfires we’ve had from the island of Ireland in the last few years have been Hoban and Cooper. Both a bit older (23/24), so may have found the step up too much, and couldn’t adjust. But I know Hoban was at Bristol City for a year or so as a teenager. The other issue, especially with the NI boys, is living in England. You’ll regularly see stories in the Belfast Telegraph about boys who went to play in England, and just couldn’t settle. I know (from a vv good source) that was the problem with Cooper. Shame, as he looked a decent player. At the money we‘re paying (£150k or so) these boys are absolutely worth taking a punt on. I’m sure we’ve learnt from the Cooper experience, and will want to know that any targeted signing from NI really wants to play in England. Toal plays for Derry City, who are in NI but play in the League of Ireland. Long story. The LOI isn’t very good, but there are players to be found there. Agree that McNally is potentially our best signing from anywhere for years.
I know, I was joking. I liked Hoban and Cooper looked ok from the brief bits I saw

OOC players yet to officially commit/leave -

Alex Gorrin - rumoured to be leaving

James Henry - ?

Billy Bodin - ?

Elliott Moore - club apparently activating one year club option (no announcement)

On Sykes, putting the last 6 months aside I think it’ll be one that got away. Thought some of his performances early on in the season and last season were top notch. High energy and tenacious, needs to work on that final ball but definitely a player in there. Good luck to him and I’m sure majority of us would do the same with a young family. Maybe he could have handled things slightly better and clearly leaves under a b it of a cloud but I have no doubts he will excel over in Bristol.

Bookmark this for when he flops to say I told you so!

OOC players yet to officially commit/leave -

Alex Gorrin - rumoured to be leaving

James Henry - ?

Billy Bodin - ?

Elliott Moore - club apparently activating one year club option (no announcement)
There doesn’t need to be an announcement for Moore does there, KR has confirmed he here for next season.

Baldock and Bodin both quality players when fit!! Look at the amount of time they missed last year due to injury-same with Henry! I’d really like us to sign some younger injury free players, possibly with some speed as a threat! Not sure I want COD with his injury record

You’re welcome 😉

Seems I missed your post at some stage, so well done. You beat me to it.

He (Toal) seems like the kind of player we’d look at in recent times. Very promising young player.

Hoping our squad will have a more robust look about it this coming season.

Talk of the O’Dowda second coming doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Considering we could have Baldock, Browne and Bodin to nurse through the campaign!
Also, Henry, Long, Taylor, and McGuane will need to be well managed for game time.

Quite a rebuilding job needed now with all these departures-Sykes, Winnall, Hanson, Cooper, Elechi, Chambers-Parilon, Kane, Brown, Holland, Whyte have left and Gorrin is likely to leave the building!

If the season started tomorrow we’d have a starting XI of -

Stevens, Long McNally Moore Seddon, Brannagan McGuane, Williams Browne, Baldock Taylor

That’s a very good base to build on before 10 signings join the club replacing Sykes, Kane, Brown, Winnall, Whyte, Holland, Mousinho, Gorrin, Hanson, Cooper etc.

Last edited:
Hoping our squad will have a more robust look about it this coming season.

Talk of the O’Dowda second coming doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Considering we could have Baldock, Browne and Bodin to nurse through the campaign!
Also, Henry, Long, Taylor, and McGuane will need to be well managed for game time.

Quite a rebuilding job needed now with all these departures-Sykes, Winnall, Hanson, Cooper, Elechi, Chambers-Parilon, Kane, Brown, Holland, Whyte have left and Gorrin is likely to leave the building!

Is that the same Matty Taylor who has played 135 games in the last 3 seasons, averaging 45 games a season?

Or the same James Henry who has player 165 games over the last 4 seasons, averaging 41 games a season?

Maybe you can also highlight the impact that Winnall, Hanson, Cooper, Elechi and LCP had on last season as you appear worried by their absence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom