Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
But with your example, you're filling an already weakened defence with unproven options that are cheaper than Thorniley, and midfield options cheaper than Kane, so we can spend on another good striker. I would think we need to be spending money to bring in a proven defender of Thorniley's level, and a DM that can match Gorrin, or a CM to cover the departures of Kane and possibly Brannagan.

The issue last season wasn't that Winnall didn't score enough goals. He's not who we need to replace, as we already did that with Baldock. If there's budget left over from the priority, then sure we can get another proven striker in. But if he's also over 30 and of the Winnall mould, then we could be replacing 3 strikers next year.

In what world could Jack Tucker, Ciaron Brown and Kofi Balmer for the sames wages as Jordan Thorniley be seen as weakening our defence!!

Herbie Kane on Championship wages, a loan fee and extension fee, would allow us to compete for some top class league one midfielders or go for similar for the Championship again.

We were also paying Gavin Whyte and Nathan Holland decent money and will likely look at different options for next season, which should hopefully given a better outcome for a reduced outlay.

In what world could Jack Tucker, Ciaron Brown and Kofi Balmer for the sames wages as Jordan Thorniley be seen as weakening our defence!!

Herbie Kane on Championship wages, a loan fee and extension fee, would allow us to compete for some top class league one midfielders or go for similar for the Championship again.

We were also paying Gavin Whyte and Nathan Holland decent money and will likely look at different options for next season, which should hopefully given a better outcome for a reduced outlay.
Well... yeah, okay then 😄

Karl will bring in players that have not been mentioned in this post and who we all think WTF.

Attack minded midfielder George Moncur who’s hardly had any game time at Hull under their new manager
was a name that interested me. He’s got a year left on his contract.

Which bits do you disagree with?
I'm agreeing! You won me over!

I initially thought you were talking about one of those defenders being brought in rather than all of them.

I'm rarely not on your side Scotchers, and in this case all I was saying is that we should focus on the areas of our team that were lacking last season, before seeking to bolster the prolific strikers we already have!

You've convinced me that there's budget to get it all done, which is excellent (y)

I'm agreeing! You won me over!

I initially thought you were talking about one of those defenders being brought in rather than all of them.

I'm rarely not on your side Scotchers, and in this case all I was saying is that we should focus on the areas of our team that were lacking last season, before seeking to bolster the prolific strikers we already have!

You've convinced me that there's budget to get it all done, which is excellent (y)

It's actually a rare questioning of how we used our budget last year. We had a decent budget and spent a lot on the wages of Whyte, Holland, Thorniley and Kane, along with the existing wages on Winnall and Hanson. The first four had their moments, and were good signings on paper. But they didn't come off the way we would have hoped, and assuming none return, we have a healthy budget to bring more effective players in, even without an increase in spending.

As an example, Jordan Thorniley (who I rated) was earning over £4k per week. Jack Turner, a 22 year old with nearly 150 games under his belt at this level, is currently earning less than half of that. As a free agent he'd likely get a pay rise, but still a cheaper option and one that better suits our model.

The following away games last season.... Wycombe, Accrington, morecambe, Wimbledon, cheltenham. We must find a way to pick up more points vs these kind of teams on the road. It's not rocket science... Its muscle backed up by a generous slice of shithousery. Until we find this in our locker, we are going nowhere.

Another striker... Yes naturally.

A holding midfielder, definitely.

A centre back, certainly.

Full backs who can get us up the pitch... Yep.

Let business commence.

Embleton seemed a good player today and scored a lovely goal did well against us for both Blackpool and Sunderland if he’s not in their plans next year a possible target?

It's actually a rare questioning of how we used our budget last year. We had a decent budget and spent a lot on the wages of Whyte, Holland, Thorniley and Kane, along with the existing wages on Winnall and Hanson. The first four had their moments, and were good signings on paper. But they didn't come off the way we would have hoped, and assuming none return, we have a healthy budget to bring more effective players in, even without an increase in spending.

As an example, Jordan Thorniley (who I rated) was earning over £4k per week. Jack Turner, a 22 year old with nearly 150 games under his belt at this level, is currently earning less than half of that. As a free agent he'd likely get a pay rise, but still a cheaper option and one that better suits our model.

'Good signings on paper' is what worries me slightly, because so many of those recent signings were reputational. Winnall's goals at this level several years ago, Kane being such a Rolls Royce midfielder at this level. Whyte and Holland having a decent spell apiece with us previously.

But I don't know what their recent form numbers would have been like on our extensive computational data, the sort of thing we use to weed out the hidden gems in the lower leagues and Ireland. I'm not saying we rely on that entirely, but I also don't think we can jump in with two feet and contribute so much of our wages on rehabilitating previous greats, or getting in old loans because they feel good to have around the place. Certainly not for the wages they were taking up.

When KR talked about needing more aggression around the place next season, I hope this extends to scouting and analytics, and focusing in on who is truly going to fit into a definitive style of play for us next season.

But with your example, you're filling an already weakened defence with unproven options that are cheaper than Thorniley, and midfield options cheaper than Kane, so we can spend on another good striker. I would think we need to be spending money to bring in a proven defender of Thorniley's level, and a DM that can match Gorrin, or a CM to cover the departures of Kane and possibly Brannagan.

The issue last season wasn't that Winnall didn't score enough goals. He's not who we need to replace, as we already did that with Baldock. If there's budget left over from the priority, then sure we can get another proven striker in. But if he's also over 30 and of the Winnall mould, then we could be replacing 3 strikers next year.
The issue is we are poor defensively as a team,Get the core right first then build around it.
Something Appleton got right and Karl’s yet to do.

Easiest thing in the world is to spend good money on a player.
But as scotch egg suggests it needs to be spent well, and wisely.
Edit
little observation gillingham we’re relegated this season.
Conceded 58 goals in their first 28 games,
But only conceded 18 goals in their last 18 games, after Masterson was signed and paired with Tucker.
We conceded 26 in our last 18 games

Last edited:
A resent stat showed that we were bottom of the league from set pieces oh for a Briggs and Shotton that scored between them 10 to 15 goals a season from corners and were Giant rocks at the back.

Do you have link to that stat?

It would be nice to have a Briggs and Shotton that scored 10-15 goals a season. We never had that with Briggs and Shotton though. They scored about 30 league goals between them in their entire OUFC careers!

Hates our guts. Always gives it large against us. Born in Swindon when his old man was playing there.
Billy Bodin was born in Swindon when his ‘old man’ played there. Not only that but BB also played for Swindon!

Not sure how you can know that Moncur ’hates our guts’ by the way.’

‘Shushing’ those in the away end is not a sign of hatred by the way
and i’m certain Matt Taylor ‘shushed‘ us after banging in the goals against us whilst playing for the Gas.

Sh!t happens!

I’d be astonished if we got Tucker for much less than we paid Thorniley, let alone 3 players one of which has just left a Championship club.

I agree entirely with the point that the budget is there though, that that’s already been evidenced and how well it is allocated will dictate our success next season.

Would you be surprised to see Whyte or Holland back? In my mind, I expected KR to try and retain pretty much the same squad then invest the Winnall/Hanson wages and extra budget from the 10k crowds in the handful of gaps left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom