Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue was that we released creighton, Bulman and green and then replaced them with 3 weaker players. Our team ended up weaker so can't give wilder credit for that season

Struggling to remember the replacements.

Payne for Bulman? A downward step if so.

Curly Worley for Creighton? Always had a mistake in him and didn’t go onto great things after leaving, so not great.

Craddock for Green? Different types of players but I rated Craddock and he didn’t live quite live up to his potential or throw off the injuries.

Tom Eaves released by Hull too, would give us a different option up top. Not sure what wages/game time he'd be after
There’s our big physical striker, I’m sure KR wanted him before as well. Just checked Wiki which in know isn’t always accurate but it has him as 6 ft 3 always seemed bigger when playing against us.

He did when he played for Gillingham. Eaves Is 6ft 3 and 30 years old so sounds just what we need to be the 3rd striker battling Taylor and Baldock for a place.
Yep. The perfect alternative for when we need to mix it up or play one up front. He's very good at at holding the ball up and bringing others into the game.

Curly Worley for Creighton? Always had a mistake in him and didn’t go onto great things after leaving, so not great.

Craddock for Green? Different types of players but I rated Craddock and he didn’t live quite live up to his potential or throw off the injuries.

I think Paul McLaren was initially brought in to replace Bulman

Craddock provided one of the few highlights of that first season back in the League, that win at home to Vale where he scored a brace, the 2nd immediately after they'd got a late equaliser (and a few fans invaded the pitch). Also Hereford away, great day out - as it was the following season too).
Also, for some reason, if I think of that sky blue Bridle shirt he is the first player that comes to mind!

Craddock provided one of the few highlights of that first season back in the League, that win at home to Vale where he scored a brace, the 2nd immediately after they'd got a late equaliser (and a few fans invaded the pitch). Also Hereford away, great day out - as it was the following season too).
Also, for some reason, if I think of that sky blue Bridle shirt he is the first player that comes to mind!

Yes I was thinking of that Vale winner recently. A clever bit of movement to get a cute header in at the East Stand from memory.

He was a pretty intelligent striker for L2, and I always hoped he and Beano might contrast nicely, but it never quite worked out and he was often injured.

Yes, just like the man (Bulman) he replaced!!😉🙄

Paul McClaren was a nest and tidy player but his career was up by 2012. Bulman eventually hung his boots up 10 years later with 950 matches to his name and three more promotions.

Looking back, what was CW on for that season? Franks, Baker, Wotton, Hackney, Mitchell Hanson. You could build a complete ‘who the bloody hell were they?’ XI just from that season alone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_Oxford_United_F.C._season

Josh Payne originally I'm sure .McClaren came in a little bit later I think but his legs went !
I recall Payne looked excellent pre season which probably helped swing the decision, never lived up to the promise though and ended up dropping down the leagues.

McLaren was a good player but like you say his legs had gone and he couldn't play full matches very often. My overriding memory of him is getting subbed after 60 minutes every game, and if we were winning then him sprinting as far as he could away from the dugout side of the pitch when the ball went dead so he could have a long amble over to waste a few more seconds.

I remember that game - Vale were top of League Two (or right up there anyway) at the time, weren't they? That match lives in my memory from that season when most others are long forgotten.

Watched the League 2 playoff game last night between Northampton & Mansfield.
I was impressed by McWillams for Northampton, he came across as the kind of player we were missing in the middle this year, he liked a tackle but also dropped off to pick the ball up from defenders and looked to play at times too. His contract is up with them and they look resigned to losing him now they know they will be in league 2.
Of course I am going off the knowledge of 1 game and the word of a few cobblers supporters who have told me how highly they rate him but I wouldn’t be disappointed to see us sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom