Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gorrin is criminally underrated on here by some. Yes, he's somewhat limited in possession, but he is one of, if not the, best defending midfielder in the league. His ability to make interceptions, blocks and just generally break up opposition attacks is brilliant, and we hugely missed him this season. 433 with overlapping full backs and two attacking midfielders works, but only if you have a very good holding midfielder like Gorrin.
Totally agree with this.

Very hard to find replacement who can fulfil a similar role. Successful sides do not require 11 players on the pitch to be creative and forward thinking. You need players willing to sacrifice themselves for the team, plug gaps and spot danger. This is something Gorrin does very well- if he was also very good playing forward with the ball he would not be in league one.

Seeing a lot of ROUND PEGS IN ROUND HOLES chat again on here.

A look at the Championshop PO SF yesterday between two clubs with no right to be in them given their budget.

Luton had Jordan Clark playing CM, who has spent most of his career at RW and Kal Naismith at LCB, who played most of his football before Luton at LW or even up front.

Huddersfield had Jonathan Hogg at DC, who has played his whole career at MC, and Sorba Thomas came on and played up front having played much of the season at RWB.

Versatility is good, it’s not a weakness, and having players capable in multiple positions is essential to making the most out of your squad. People have to get over this idea that a player is defined by their historical position.
I don't think anyone has argued that sometimes a player has to be played out of position, or that they can't play multiple positions, but in recent seasons we've had too many players being rotated around the pitch even Karl has no idea what their best position is.

Is Hanson a right back or a central midfielder? Is Forde a right winger, central midfielder or a right back? Is Henry best on the right or in the centre? Is Sykes a central midfielder, right winger or left winger? Is Clare a right back, right winger or central midfielder? Can I get away with playing Williams at left wing back?

It's useful to have a handful of players who can put a shift in, and even in the case of Ruffels learn a new position to good effect, but when it becomes the norm in the squad to have so many utility players you don't know their best position, it becomes a problem.

Agreed, definitely not standing still.

Playoff final > playoff semi final > missed playoffs...
17/18 - points 56, goal difference -5
18/19 - points 60, goal difference -6
19/20 - points 60, goal difference +24
20/21 - points 74, goal difference +21
21/22 - points 76, goal difference +23

I’d suggest that over the last 5 years the club hasn’t been standing still and in fact has moved forward a lot.
That’s just points total without even factoring in how much the club has progressed off the field with the training ground and infrastructure.

If we are as ambitious as certain people on here make out, we need to compete with Pompey and Plymouth.

Blackpool may be a league higher, but I've seen them try to activate a minimum fee release clause.
We certainly do.

17/18 - points 56, goal difference -5
18/19 - points 60, goal difference -6
19/20 - points 60, goal difference +24
20/21 - points 74, goal difference +21
21/22 - points 76, goal difference +23

I’d suggest that over the last 5 years the club hasn’t been standing still and in fact has moved forward a lot.
That’s just points total without even factoring in how much the club has progressed off the field with the training ground and infrastructure.
16/17 - points 69, goal difference +13

That was MApp's first season in League One, finishing 8th - the exact same position as this season. Can an extra 7 points in 5 years really count as progress?

You can skew the figures in a way to support your view, just like I've done with mine, but unless you qualify for the play-offs by getting a fixed number of points and not finishing in a certain position, the "points is a better metric, actually" argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

• React
Reactions: ljs
The square peg, round hole thing is thrown at Robinson as if it's something unique to him.

Look at Sean Clare, last season at Charlton he played CB, CM, DCM, RW and RB. With us he played at RB, CM, DCM and RW. The season before that at Hearts he played RB, CM, RW, ACM, LW and CF. The season before that at RW, CF, ACM, LW, CM.

So at least three different managers at three different clubs have played Sean Clare in multiple positions, and he's not set the world alight in any of them. So maybe the problem sits with the player rather than the manager?

That was MApp's first season in League One, finishing 8th - the exact same position as this season. Can an extra 7 points in 5 years really count as progress?

You can skew the figures in a way to support your view, just like I've done with mine, but unless you qualify for the play-offs by getting a fixed number of points and not finishing in a certain position, the "points is a better metric, actually" argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
You've literally demonstrated that we've done better for 2 years than we did in 16/17 despite having done worse for 3 years in between (except GD was also better in one of those years. Looks like progress to me.

You've literally demonstrated that we've done better for 2 years than we did in 16/17 despite having done worse for 3 years in between (except GD was also better in one of those years. Looks like progress to me.
I think you've missed the point I was making. That you can skew statistics in your favour to prove your point, especially if you omit data like where we finished in 16/17 season. If you take 17/18 as the start then there's a general trend of progression, but position-wise we're back to where we were 5 years ago when you remember that the 16/17 season happened.

The same season where we were only 4 points outside the play-off places compared to 7 points this season, I might add. Which one counts as the more successful: the most points (21/22), or the smaller points gap to the play-offs (16/17)?

I think you've missed the point I was making. That you can skew statistics in your favour to prove your point, especially if you omit data like where we finished in 16/17 season. If you take 17/18 as the start then there's a general trend of progression, but position-wise we're back to where we were 5 years ago when you remember that the 16/17 season happened.

The same season where we were only 4 points outside the play-off places compared to 7 points this season, I might add. Which one counts as the more successful: the most points (21/22), or the smaller points gap to the play-offs (16/17)?
If we compare the two seasons, then 16/17 we were in the bottom half most of the season and only jumped up to 8th after winning a few at the death when the season was long since over. So we may have finished in the same position but the level of football was night and day.

Shouldn't we be getting the signature of Bodin pretty quickly? I wouldn't want the scum to come sniffing around if they were to gain promotion through the play offs. No reason why we can't get him signed now!

Even taking points/league position out of it then as a club we have progressed with things such as the training ground, starting the process for the new stadium.
Even take this thread for example where people are talking about improving on players such as Gorrin and Holland. The players we are looking to bring in are light years ahead of what we have been trying to sign in recent years.

Shouldn't we be getting the signature of Bodin pretty quickly? I wouldn't want the scum to come sniffing around if they were to gain promotion through the play offs. No reason why we can't get him signed now!
And Baldock

Not really. I just don't buy the "position-wise" argument. It relies too much on results from games we aren't involved in.

If we compare the two seasons, then 16/17 we were in the bottom half most of the season and only jumped up to 8th after winning a few at the death when the season was long since over. So we may have finished in the same position but the level of football was night and day.
Not sure that is entirely fair. We had just been promoted and were in our first season back in League 1- the increasing win ratio could be argued as evidence of the ongoing development of the side - and been to Wembly twice for finals. Certainly at the end of 2016/2017, with the names that were being linked to us before Appleton left, there was a good feeling that we were being readied for a very genuine tilt at promotion the following season.

Not sure that is entirely fair. We had just been promoted and were in our first season back in League 1- the increasing win ratio could be argued as evidence of the ongoing development of the side - and been to Wembly twice for finals. Certainly at the end of 2016/2017, with the names that were being linked to us before Appleton left, there was a good feeling that we were being readied for a very genuine tilt at promotion the following season.
The point is the 16/17 season and 21/22 were vastly different in pretty much every way other than final finishing place. I appreciate that this is kind of the point that @battman is making about selecting whichever metric suits your own argument, but also shows that league positioning is not the only factor when looking at progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom