Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole gelling thing is a bit overhyped for me. How long did Baldock need to gel? Herbie Kane was superb at first & his performances got worse if anything. Matt Taylor signed on loan from Bristol City on 19th August & scored 13 goals in 26 games. That’s right Taylor, arguably one of our best signings in recent times signed on 19th August! The quality of player we sign is far more important than when we sign them.

Agree, its quick and easy to sign free agents but when you're trying to sign quality and fees are involved, it takes longer.

No one is disputing that, but why would you want to replace pace, with pace? It’s not what substitutions are for; and not every game, nor situation within a game, requires pace to get a result?

I’m absolutely certain we will sign more players with pace, but as we have seen with Sykes, pace does nothing without technical ability and nouse.

We don’t want sprinters, we want footballers.
Your first paragraph is a little confusing. You ask why would you want to replace pace with pace. I'm not sure how much football you have played or watched if you don't know the answer to that. What do you mean it's not what substitutions are for? Subs are used because of tactics, players getting tired/playing poorly or injuries normally. In certain situations replacing a quick player with another quick player is perfectly valid use of subs as is using pace to stretch the opposition. Again, strange point.

Yes, not everything in football requires pace, who said it did?

Agree to an extent about Sykes although I thought he had good technical ability but lacked decision making in the final third in my view.

Who said we want sprinters and not footballers?

Happens every year Karl Robinson saids we’re gonna do business early. We no he’s talking poo. And then we all have a meltdown and we all end up being satisfied at the end of the window. Just the normal kr process

But he hasn’t said anything remotely close to ‘doing business early’ this season, has he? I get your point about about us ending up satisfied, because those that aren’t losing their minds over something they cannot control, are actually just grinning their way through the shite that is stinking out this forum.

It’s not the normal KR process, though. It’s the fanciful interpretation of whatever certain people perceive it to be..

Is this the first time we have played the first friendly with such a small, incomplete squad. How are any new players, 7 still needed going to get to know how each other play with 4 weeks to the first game?
Simply mind blowing to think that robinson believes he has things under control with so little time left. We can do nothing and put our faith in him as manager, with presumably the majority of these players coming in during the week, so we can look back on this weekend and wonder what all the worrying was about. Also over thinking things such as the wrong players being in a squad that needs to be a championship squad of 22 + 2 GK players who can step in and hit the ground running.

Is this the first time we have played the first friendly with such a small, incomplete squad. How are any new players, 7 still needed going to get to know how each other play with 4 weeks to the first game?
Simply mind blowing to think that robinson believes he has things under control with so little time left. We can do nothing and put our faith in him as manager, with presumably the majority of these players coming in during the week, so we can look back on this weekend and wonder what all the worrying was about. Also over thinking things such as the wrong players being in a squad that needs to be a championship squad of 22 + 2 GK players who can step in and hit the ground running.

giphy.gif

The ignore/block button is getting hammered at the moment.

If I was on holiday the last thing I’d be worried about is blocking and ignoring people on a forum.

In fact I’d be no where near it, and I’d be soaking up the sun, and enjoying myself with my partner.

Anyway let’s look forward to whatever comes through the door at the 11th hour. I can’t wait!

I was on holiday the last thing I’d be worried about is blocking and ignoring people on a forum.

In fact I’d be no where near it, and I’d be soaking up the sun, and enjoying myself with my partner.

Anyway let’s look forward to whatever comes through the door at the 11th hour. I can’t wait!

Is it a League game on Saturday then?

If I was on holiday the last thing I’d be worried about is blocking and ignoring people on a forum.

0491be4f37d4c9bcac8e5de0c888f69d.jpeg

Leysboy don’t worry
Who’s on the wing
'Cause Karl and Backrie
Will get this window right

Last edited:

noise-tv.gif

30 days til first game, 62 in the window. It’s about midday.

I think KR said he we deliberately took risks with full backs bombing on. With our style of play (plus with no proper holding midfielder) it was a tough gig for Seddon.

I think at times it looked like he was getting caught out when really it was just the risk we took. He also frequently had naff all defensive support from whoever was playing left mid.

I don’t think he is as weak as some make out.
I disagree with this - yes if it was simply a matter of goals being scored by teams who played balls into the space that Seddon had vacated on one of his forward runs then fine, that’s just the way that we play - we could have a young Ashley Cole in the team and that could happen. However, when he lost his confidence (which, to be fair to him, was after a very good run of form early on) Seddon was doing things like getting absolutely skinned one vs one, slicing attempted clearances horribly or giving the ball away/making unforced errors. That’s nothing to do with the system or missing Gorrin. That’s just bad play.

Stevens and Eastwood are probably two of the better keepers in the division. Yes Stevens had a bit of a blib last season but he was coming back from gladular fever, Eastie came in and did well. Rather we signed players in other areas and reassess in January.
😮 Really?

Stevens and Eastwood are probably two of the better keepers in the division. Yes Stevens had a bit of a blib last season but he was coming back from gladular fever, Eastie came in and did well. Rather we signed players in other areas and reassess in January.

Wow. The standard of keeping must be awful in L1 then.

Some statement that is to say Stevens and Eastwood are among the best. Stevens, in my opinion, isn't in the top ten and wouldn't be guaranteed to be in top 15. God knows what people see in him to say he's among the best - he's nowhere near. Eastwood, at his best, was much a better keeper than Stevens but you couldn't put him among the top keepers in the division now, age has caught up with him and I'd now rank him about the same as Stevens - middle-ish among the L1 keepers.

A new, top class, keeper would and should have been a major priority for Robinson but it looks as though we will limp through the season conceding a ton more goals from distance.

Some statement that is to say Stevens and Eastwood are among the best. Stevens, in my opinion, isn't in the top ten and wouldn't be guaranteed to be in top 15. God knows what people see in him to say he's among the best - he's nowhere near. Eastwood, at his best, was much a better keeper than Stevens but you couldn't put him among the top keepers in the division now, age has caught up with him and I'd now rank him about the same as Stevens - middle-ish among the L1 keepers.

A new, top class, keeper would and should have been a major priority for Robinson but it looks as though we will limp through the season conceding a ton more goals from distance.
Stevens was developing quite well but then got glandular fever which can be really difficult to get over and his form dropped after. Hopefully, the summer break will do him some good. Bit harsh to write him off at his age after going through that in my opinion. Top class keepers, are not that easy to find and unless one of ours left, we simply wouldn't have three senior keepers at our squad size .

Stevens was developing quite well but then got glandular fever which can be really difficult to get over and his form dropped after. Hopefully, the summer break will do him some good. Bit harsh to write him off at his age after going through that in my opinion. Top class keepers, are not that easy to find and unless one of ours left, we simply wouldn't have three senior keepers at our squad size .

We should be sending him out to play a full season elsewhere then and regain his form and fitness.

If Stevens wasn’t “one of our own” there would be outrage that we are going into the season with him as our no.1.

We got promoted with Benjy Buchel in goal, so it can be done, but we are going into next season taking a massive risk by having one of the worst gk’s in the league last season taking the gloves.

Wow. The standard of keeping must be awful in L1 then.

Think you’re both forgetting the style of football we play isn’t often reflected in statistics, we play fairly offensive/attractive style football. Whereas Wycombes keeper probably comes out on top due to the thousands of water bottle breaks and fairly compact/defensive style. It’s not all in the numbers for me. Yes Stevens had a poor season by his standards last season but again he was coming back from glandular fever which must have had some knock on effects.

Last edited:
We should be sending him out to play a full season elsewhere then and regain his form and fitness.

If Stevens wasn’t “one of our own” there would be outrage that we are going into the season with him as our no.1.

We got promoted with Benjy Buchel in goal, so it can be done, but we are going into next season taking a massive risk by having one of the worst gk’s in the league last season taking the gloves.

Very true. Look at how Seddon has been castigated for poor form, Stevens has been worse yet somehow escapes the rap from the fans. Why ? Because he came through the ranks. Big deal, who cares where he comes from. He could come from Outer Mongolia for all I care as long as he can get his glove on a shot from 20 yards out.

Stevens was excellent when he came in during the 20/21 season. Far higher clubs were looking at him
His form dipped last season due to recovering from illness I assume.
I am amazed that sone if our supporters seem to be writing him off.
Even De Gea had a real dip in form at Man U, but was apparently far better last season.
With a full pre season he should be fully fit and if he is back to his best then we have a very good keeper that should only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom