Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sutton United aren't non-league. In fact they only missed out on the League 2 play-offs by a single point, so weren't that far away from being in the same division as us next season.
Of course I know. I was simply saying how the Posh do well in the non league

A lot of speculation within that £15M budget. Assuming Bannan is on the higher 28K a week suggested by AH. that still leaves an average of over 11K per week for a 25 man squad (yes I know its not just the first team squad that accounts for the budget, but others will have only marginal effect). I'm pretty sure that very few will be on more than 11K and would be surprised if at least half weren't on anywhere near as much as that.
I don’t know how legit these figures are but I think they’re right up to be accurate

& here’s ours

Well they can't claim poverty (even with the loan to repay) as Nick Pope is supposed to be signing for Newcastle for a reported £10m and no doubt others moving on.
As much as they’re in the s**t with paying back loans of £65m through their dodgy American owners (who gambled on them staying in the premiership so they didn’t have to pay a penny of there own money into owning the club) they have a lot of assets who will command a good fee this summer Collins £20/25M Cornet £25 million release clause McNeil £30M Pope £10M so we shouldn’t be filling sorry for them Luke McNally £2M is a fair enough price even tho I think he could be worth more to us specifically if he stayed + signed a new long term contract & got promoted with us his value would be massive but that’s wishful thinking at this stage

I don’t know how legit these figures are but I think they’re right up to be accurate

& here’s ours

I imagine we wouldn’t have paid all of Whyte’s wages. Some of those figures look quite low and there are bigger differentials than I’d expect. Quite a lot of people on here will be earning more than Luke McNally!

Possibly, but they still need to replace 3 centre backs.
A few pages behind here but they’ve also allegedly gone for Hendry at Brugge.

Could be a combination of any of these names but it brings some comfort that they’re seemingly not gung-ho for just McNally at this point.

Put it this way, we need less players than our opponents on the first day of the season.
Every cloud and all that...
Forget everyone else, we've lost 9 players, 10 if McNally goes. We therefore need to bring in 10 especially at the cack.

Luke McNally £2M is a fair enough price even tho I think he could be worth more to us specifically if he stayed + signed a new long term contract & got promoted with us his value would be massive but that’s wishful thinking at this stage

Way I see it, there's three reasonable reasons for selling a player:
1) You're desperate for the money, and can't risk losing him for nowt.
2) The money is as much as you're ever going to get for the player i.e. you're selling a peak value, and the money would be better invested into some other playing assets, or
3) If you don't sell the player, he's going to get so pissed off that it'll either ruin dressing room morale or, worse, dissuade future signings from joining as you'll get a reputation for standing in the way of careers

Well from all reports, with our current owners, we've no need to sell. And we've still got him under contract for two more years so he can't walk for a while.
I'd be really surprised, based on what I've seen, if McNally didn't get better with more experience. I don't think he's anywhere near his peak value yet.
And he's a young kid with only 30-odd English games under his belt. I would hope that he would respond OK to us saying 'Not yet - we need you to stay for another year'. Plus, while Burnley are undoubtedly a bigger club than us.....they're not exactly a footballer's dream, once in a lifetime opportunity. If Spurs were really in for him, then that might be harder to turn down for Reason #3.

So I don't think I would be selling McNally unless Burnley offer silly money. Like breaking our record transfer fee received-type money.

Last edited:
And that could be after we’ve played 5/6 games

2) The money is as much as you're ever going to get for the player i.e. you're selling a peak value, and the money would be better invested into some other playing assets, or
3) If you don't sell the player, he's going to get so pissed offer that it'll either ruin dressing room morale or, worse, dissuade future signings from joining as you'll get a reputation for standing in the way of careers

Well from all reports, with our current owners, we've no need to sell. And we've still got him under contract for two more years so he can't walk for a while.
I'd be really surprised, based on what I've seen, if McNally didn't get better with more experience. I don't think he's anywhere near his peak value yet.
And he's a young kid with only 30-odd English games under his belt. I would hope that he would respond OK to us saying 'Not yet - we need you to stay for another year'. Plus, while Burnley are undoubtedly a bigger club than us.....they're not exactly a footballer's dream, once in a lifetime opportunity. If Spurs were really in for him, then that might be harder to turn down for Reason #3.

So I don't think I would be selling McNally unless Burnley offer silly money. Like breaking our record transfer fee received-type money.
We should be putting forward a new contract on significantly improved terms to him as I'm sure he is on a very low wage at the moment £1000 pw according to the link posted earlier, which means he is probably on a quarter of what Moore is on after his new contract.

3) If you don't sell the player, he's going to get so pissed offer that it'll either ruin dressing room morale or, worse, dissuade future signings from joining as you'll get a reputation for standing in the way of careers

I think it would be worth keeping him until January. If we're chasing promotion, we'll keep him until the end or sell for silly money (£3-4m). If we're clearly mid-table also rans, but McNally is performing, we look to maintain the £2m we were looking to get this summer.

I imagine we wouldn’t have paid all of Whyte’s wages. Some of those figures look quite low and there are bigger differentials than I’d expect. Quite a lot of people on here will be earning more than Luke McNally!
They’re extremely low, but do at least illustrate the gap between the £10m+ budgets and £5m+ budgets. We’re talking about an extra £1m like it really moves the dials, but in reality we’re slightly better off within the same sort of tier we were in last season. The budgets extremely competitive and aggressive for the size of the football club though (we’ve no real right to compete on wages with Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth etc) and shouldn’t lose sight of that. Equally we should expect our transfer dealings to be a bit more complex than most.

I’m sure there won’t be any issues with his agent if a realistic buyout-clause can be agreed.
I can't help but feel the agent's realistic buyout clause will be much the same as the offers we're currently rejecting. It won't be multimillions.

My man said at the cack.

We don't want 10 signings, cos that will decrease the amount we can spend on each player. I'd rather have a few really good signings than 9 or 10 cheap ones.
Yes as long as we can fill the squad with a balance of players. We’ve got 7 or 8 spots I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom