Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t want to be critical of Port Vale but they are obviously not on the same level as the mighty Yellows - and what do I base that on?

Well, the simple fact that their transfer thread only has 471 pages. They really do need to up their game.

I don’t want to be critical of Port Vale but they are obviously not on the same level as the mighty Yellows - and what do I base that on?

Well, the simple fact that their transfer thread only has 471 pages. They really do need to up their game.

If transfer thread pages are a measure of stature then we are f*****g massive!

I’m still really surprised whenever I see this sort of comment re Stevens. The guy is still being monitored by 75% of the clubs in the Premier League. Arsenal nearly bid for him in January six months after Villa formally offered half a million.

If he has a good season at Vale he’ll be sold to a “Top 30” club and we won’t see him here again. There was a lot going on last season.

Not to detract from Stevens’ talent, but every homegrown keeper in the EFL has most PL clubs monitoring them. The need for both a 3rd choice keeper and to fill the homegrown quota means players like Stevens have their own market

Seems from those reliable on this forum that we are indeed chasing another forward. No need to name names, but do you ITK guys rate the prospective player. Is he any good UTO?

Port Vale are a proper club, speaks volumes that he gone there to get his form back.
Strange comment, are u implying a lot of other football league clubs are not “proper”.? In what way? Swinedon excepted 😂

Just hope Jack doesn’t bench warm at Vale, hopefully we have assurances built in, and can recall regardless in Jan?

Strange comment, are u implying a lot of other football league clubs are not “proper”.? In what way? Swinedon excepted 😂

Just hope Jack doesn’t bench warm at Vale, hopefully we have assurances built in, and can recall regardless in Jan?
A well run club, looking to invest, big fan base............

you are right Appleton left us in the s""t and I dont think he will at Blackpool long . If this goes pear shaped quickly he won't be going anywhere for a while. Karl has earned alot more points and plaudits over the last few years . Let's hope he earns the most over this year fingers crossed.

you are right Appleton left us in the s""t and I dont think he will at Blackpool long . If this goes pear shaped quickly he won't be going anywhere for a while. Karl has earned alot more points and plaudits over the last few years . Let's hope he earns the most over this year fingers crossed.
Just needs to earn a promotion (like MApp) and he will have achieved the goal that he, and we, covets.

Not to detract from Stevens’ talent, but every homegrown keeper in the EFL has most PL clubs monitoring them. The need for both a 3rd choice keeper and to fill the homegrown quota means players like Stevens have their own market
Almost none of them attract firm bids of over half a million pounds, which is what Villa tabled a year ago. And it wasn’t to be third choice, it was to be backup to Martinez. Jed Steer was going to be allowed to move on loan with Stevens as first sub keeper. In the end they brought in Robin Olsen in late January with Steer going on loan to Luton. That was planned to be Stevens’ spot.

I just find it weird that there’s been quite a lot of very, very harsh criticism of Stevens in recent months. The amount of people I’ve seen questioning whether any club would even want him on loan, or saying things like “if anybody offered us cash we should snap their hands off” has been a bit of a shock to the system at times, for me. Neither keeper had a great season last year, and it’s totally fair to say as much, but there seems to be a bit of vitriol behind comments towards Stevens at times, and I don’t really get it. Maybe people expected too much of him so are coming across as overly brutal at times, but I do find it a little jarring.

He could’ve thrown his toys out of the pram and forced through the Villa move, which would’ve tripled his wages for the next four years, but he behaved superbly and signed a new long-term contract rather than flouncing off for peanuts. While that doesn’t make him immune from criticism I do think it’s forgotten sometimes, that’s all.

EDIT: And anyway, Martinez and Steer are both homegrown keepers, so that had nothing to do with Villa’s intentions. Especially given they then loaned out Steer and replaced him with Olsen, thus reducing the number of homegrown players in their squad rather than increasing it. As for Arsenal, their second and third choice keepers aren’t homegrown - the latter of whom, Turner, was signed from the MLS literally weeks after they decided not to push ahead with Stevens - so there’s nothing tactical going on with their goalie spots either if they eventually went for an American with zero homegrown criteria. About 90% of the PL doesn’t need to play that game with the third keeper spot as they have enough players who qualify anyway. They usually go for cheap 30-somethings who are just happy to have a contract, and most of the time that’s got nothing to do with their homegrown status, they’re just covering their arses in case of a freak injury scenario.

Last edited:
Almost none of them attract firm bids of over half a million pounds, which is what Villa tabled a year ago. And it wasn’t to be third choice, it was to be backup to Martinez. Jed Steer was going to be allowed to move on loan with Stevens as first sub keeper. In the end they brought in Robin Olsen in late January with Steer going on loan to Luton. That was planned to be Stevens’ spot.

I just find it weird that there’s been quite a lot of very, very harsh criticism of Stevens in recent months. The amount of people I’ve seen questioning whether any club would even want him on loan, or saying things like “if anybody offered us cash we should snap their hands off” has been a bit of a shock to the system at times, for me. Neither keeper had a great season last year, and it’s totally fair to say as much, but there seems to be a bit of vitriol behind comments towards Stevens at times, and I don’t really get it. Maybe people expected too much of him so are coming across as overly brutal at times, but I do find it a little jarring.

He could’ve thrown his toys out of the pram and forced through the Villa move, which would’ve tripled his wages for the next four years, but he behaved superbly and signed a new long-term contract rather than flouncing off for peanuts. While that doesn’t make him immune from criticism I do think it’s forgotten sometimes, that’s all.

Plus, he’s a total babe.

EDIT: And anyway, Martinez and Steer are both homegrown keepers, so that had nothing to do with Villa’s intentions. Especially given they then loaned out Steer and replaced him with Olsen, thus reducing the number of homegrown players in their squad rather than increasing it. As for Arsenal, their second and third choice keepers aren’t homegrown - the latter of whom, Turner, was signed from the MLS literally weeks after they decided not to push ahead with Stevens - so there’s nothing tactical going on with their goalie spots either if they eventually went for an American with zero homegrown criteria. About 90% of the PL doesn’t need to play that game with the third keeper spot as they have enough players who qualify anyway. They usually go for cheap 30-somethings who are just happy to have a contract, and most of the time that’s got nothing to do with their homegrown status, they’re just covering their arses in case of a freak injury scenario.
I agree that I was taken back with some of the criticism of Stevens.
He had a tough season, in part due to illness and hopefully will prove himself again to be a very good keeper .
Some supporters have short memories.
Hopefully this move will allow him to play games and play himself back into form

The squad is looking better every week .4 more to come in ? Another striker which will give us the cover we need. But the exciting thing is when the itk tell us they are not just to make the numbers up. And the next position is a RB no one's mentioned Kane for a while or do we think it will be a lone

I agree that I was taken back with some of the criticism of Stevens.
He had a tough season, in part due to illness and hopefully will prove himself again to be a very good keeper .
Some supporters have short memories.
Hopefully this move will allow him to play games and play himself back into form

Well obviously the coaching staff don’t agree with your view. Stevens was poor last season, he had to go. You can’t concede as many as we did without the keeper being a big part of the problem.

Well obviously the coaching staff don’t agree with your view. Stevens was poor last season, he had to go. You can’t concede as many as we did without the keeper being a big part of the problem.
What don't the coaching staff agree with?
He has just signed a new contract whist going on loan ( hopefully to play himself back into form)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom