Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not "bigger" than Argyle. Big invoice from our "planning consultants" to settle.
Absolutely - though at least one contributor on here refers to them as a "village" team - from a village with a population of almost 100,000 more people than our own village lol

I can see why we might want Hardie (or Camara if any truth in that) but why would either want to come to us - a sideways step at best for Hardie & Camara appears to believe he should be at a higher level than L1 anyway - we are at best no bigger than Plymouth and in no better position than them so what would be the attraction - unless they are each partial to being criticised regularly on a fans forum peut etre

Money, I would have thought.
If we offer them more than they're on, and more than anyone else is offering, then their heads might be turned.

I'd have said the more important question is "Why would Plymouth sell Hardie (or Camara) to us?" It's not like we would sell any of our good young(ish) players to them! They've clearly got money now after their recent share issue, so I can't imagine why they would want to make themselves weaker and us stronger. Surely they would rather let him walk in the summer than sell him to us for the few hundred thousand we'd be willing to pay them now?

We're led to believe it was the sale of McNally that led to a change of heart (away from 3-5-2), although it sounds like we were still in for Cadden after McNally left so I'm not sure how you reconcile Cadden with a 4-3-3 either.

Plus we don't really have the utility players with high workrate like Ryan Williams to make 4-3-3 work. I'm not convinced that our out and out wingers are necessarily conducive to 4-3-3 either.

It's almost as though KR signs players for their individual merits rather than a clear idea of where they fit into a system, let alone an actual formation.

Stop bullying Robinson. It's exactly as though he signs players for all sorts of reason other than any clear idea of where they fit into a system, let alone an actual formation.

We are in the "last chance saloon" on transfers. Slow action in the early weeks showed our mind set - not "keen" enough to get our man. The board have eyes set on making a lot of money from a hotel at SB!

We are in the "last chance saloon" on transfers. Slow action in the early weeks showed our mind set - not "keen" enough to get our man. The board have eyes set on making a lot of money from a hotel at SB!
Oh you mean like Kassam has..bit of a punt just for a 40/80/160 or whatever.

Phew that was some reading, bullying is a strong word, strong criticism has been used time and time again on the forum a lot of which was during Peps reign.

I agree that Seddon hasn’t been at his best of which most of us haven’t witnessed whilst at Oxford.

So he’s been criticised on here and it has dragged on so maybe a time to call it a day and look forward to Cambridge.

If he is selected and has a blinder Derby will be forgotten but if there’s a repetition of Saturdays game then no doubt there will another 72 hours of criticism.

If Seddon is selected and he doesn’t play well then he will be criticised but surely the manager has to be as well for selecting him.

I mean I don’t agree with how we have conducted ourselves in the transfer market this summer but that’s utter BS. The owners are backing KR big time but he’s shown an inability to build a settled balanced squad for two seasons now and the buck stops with him. We are top end with our budget now & if he can’t build a balanced squad then it is KR who should be in last chance saloon.

Given the net wealth of the board that’s going to have to be some hotel

If Your happy to wait until the end of the month to get the right players in, which is 6 games in, and then come May we fall short by 6 points what then…. Ahh never mind we try again next season. KR was unlucky, and give him another year, so we go through the whole cycle again.
More than happy, the season isn’t over after 6 games.

Do you not remember when we were bottom at Christmas and ended up in the play offs?

All I’m saying is a lot can change in 24 hours, look at the Brannaghan scenario!

At what point though do the Happy Clappers concede that its unlikely the 5 players needed dont come in or the defence isnt sorted by the end of the window and change discs to the Smiths "Panic?"

At what point do you stop being negative and get behind the team ? No Panic lyrics for me, more like “patience” by Take That 😉

More than happy, the season isn’t over after 6 games.

Do you not remember when we were bottom at Christmas and ended up in the play offs?

All I’m saying is a lot can change in 24 hours, look at the Brannaghan scenario!
We shouldn’t be playing catch up though should we. We have an easyish start & the fixtures will only get tougher. You don’t want players gelling during the season. That’s what pre season is for, you get the bulk of your business done and then you add the finishing touches to it.

DzwfgF4RF
At what point do you stop being negative and get behind the team ? No Panic lyrics for me, more like “patience” by Take That 😉
Me negative🤣🤣🤣🤣?? ???????
Here simply making a light hesrted comment.
Have you read any of my recent posts. Eg. We can still vet promoted under kr.
So step back and "Get Back" as the Beatles said and read people's posts maybe??😉

This. ^^^

Let’s be honest, the fans have already lost faith in Seddon. And probably quite fairly. The problem for KR now is that there will be selective assessment of his performance. If he makes a mistake it’ll be extrapolated. When he does something good it’ll be overlooked. And there will also be fans who take justified criticism on an Internet forum, and turning it in to a toxic vibe on game day.
Given that last comment, just as well this forum is largely 100 people shouting into a vacuum!

Sorry but just on that penultimate paragraph, I fear that may be rewriting history a bit. Evans joined on loan in November; he didn’t appear in the league until mid December. I also wouldn’t describe him as an ‘out and out leftback’ - he was very much a young LB/LWB/LW still figuring out his best position. Likewise Kenny joined in January once Baldock had been recalled. If they did overlap, it would only have been for a couple of weeks. To suggest that we went the full season with strong backup in each position is disingenuous. If either Baldock or Kenny had been seriously injured we’d have been in real trouble - Long at that stage was no better as RB replacement than Forde.

I don’t disagree we need support and competition (and, realistically, probably an upgrade) in both positions, but let’s not pretend that MApp didn’t get at least a little lucky with his squad-building, too.

EDIT: thinking about it, I also, frankly, don’t think we would have got in someone of the quality of Kenny if he had been told he was going to play second fiddle to Baldock. Evans (belatedly) came in to play second fiddle, true, but I think the respective career paths of him and Kenny since leaving us prove what we all saw when they were with us - one was significantly better than the other.
I think the broader point still stands though, that there was like-for-like cover available so that if a player was unavailable, another player could come in without having to shift the centre backs about. In regards to Evans, I didn't really rate him at all and thought he looked very susceptible defensively, but him coming in in November shows that MApp was willing to adapt and bring in cover if the squad so required it.

Like 20 days before Evans signed we brought in Cameron Gayle, who was a RB who could also play LB. He obviously wasn't the right quality or right fit as he was shipped out on loan once Evans came in, but it showed at least that in MApp's second season with us he was trying to right the wrongs of any weakness in defensive numbers.

Compare that to now, where we're not even sure in the summer window whether we'll be getting a second RB to compete with Long, and a second LB to compete with Seddon. We're at point - 4 years and 4 months into Karl Robinson's reign - and we don't have a third natural full back at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom